Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='547813' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:42 PM']There's no irony d00d, I counted them and there aren't that many more in BP than BGM in terms of page space, and the both have about the same number of pages.[/quote]
Actually, I'd say the irony is in the quote Rich gives from Sk8, who said:
"Will stick to Bass player [b][i]when i can find it[/i][/b]". :)

[quote name='sk8' post='546709' date='Jul 21 2009, 04:50 PM']Didn't have alot of substance and the articles were limited. the subjects i thought would be covered in more detail weren't. It had alot of adverts and i found the play along bit at the back a bit unispiring. This is all of course IMHO.

It didn't want to make me pick it up again and re read it, nor would i wish to subscribe. It was a weak publication scant on news and reviews.

There are obviously people who enjoy it but i will not be bothering again. Will stick to Bass player when i can find it.[/quote]
I used to subscribe to Bass Player but it began to drive me mad in the end. Very repetitive and for me it took itself far too seriously.

Hey chaps - thanks for the good vibes here. After some delays (some family issues with other musicians) and me being halfway round the world playing with people... I finally got the backing tracks for my Bb Jazz Bues Series recorded and uploaded to my website.

Hopefully, they should be a massive help in getting the sound of the chord changes in your ears and giving you some inspiration for practicing...

Feel free to grab the tracks from:

[url="http://s63821.gridserver.com/?page_id=591"]http://s63821.gridserver.com/?page_id=591[/url]

enjoy...

d

[quote name='Davemarks' post='550006' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:39 AM']Hey chaps - thanks for the good vibes here. After some delays (some family issues with other musicians) and me being halfway round the world playing with people... I finally got the backing tracks for my Bb Jazz Bues Series recorded and uploaded to my website.

Hopefully, they should be a massive help in getting the sound of the chord changes in your ears and giving you some inspiration for practicing...

Feel free to grab the tracks from:

[url="http://s63821.gridserver.com/?page_id=591"]http://s63821.gridserver.com/?page_id=591[/url]

enjoy...

d[/quote]

Aww, that's a nice message.

"This file is no longer available."

I have emailed BGM TWICE and asked for the downloadable files [i]there [/i]to be updated. No reply or acknowledgement, whcih is disappointing. It all stopped about issue 31 - which is at least a year ago. Perhaps any of you in contact with Nick Wells could nudge him?

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='551027' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:12 PM']New issue through the door today. Had a quick flick through before leaving the house this morning... some cheaper gear on review, and some BCers mentioned/interviewed (step forward Jimi and Jase!). :)[/quote]

I was in WHS last night, no new issue.

Great Jase is in there! I've got the Godsticks EP, Iplay it all the time, it's brilliant. They were in Guitarist Magazine a couple of months ago too.

Who's Jimi?

there's an interview with me in August's edition of the mag!!

its one of the proudest moments of my life..i used to buy the mag as a youth!

i was interviewed at Sheperds Bush Empire with my band www.myspace.com/ravenvandelle
we were supporting UFO..

hope everyone is well and enjoyin the sun-while it lasts!

regards
jimi

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='551057' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:59 PM']jimijimmi -- plays with the Quireboys.[/quote]

ive actually left the quireboys now..

my band Raven Vandelle take up alot of my time and i couldnt give myself fully to the Qbs..and as we all know,its so much more fullfillin' to play your own music and be yourself rather than filling the boots of someone else...

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='551114' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:20 PM']ive actually left the quireboys now..

my band Raven Vandelle take up alot of my time and i couldnt give myself fully to the Qbs..and as we all know,its so much more fullfillin' to play your own music and be yourself rather than filling the boots of someone else...[/quote]
And probably much more fulfilling to be interviewed about your own music too!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='551118' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:27 PM']And probably much more fulfilling to be interviewed about your own music too![/quote]

most deffinately....its actually MY playing and MY style that was spoken about...not a 20year old record that im playing note for note!!

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='551127' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:35 PM']most deffinately....its actually MY playing and MY style that was spoken about...not a 20year old record that im playing note for note!![/quote]

Excellent,
I'll be off to the shop then...

[quote name='OldGit' post='551181' date='Jul 25 2009, 04:51 PM']Excellent,
I'll be off to the shop then...[/quote]

Hold on...I don't think it is out yet. Subscribers get it early. BGM's website says it isn't out until the 31st.

Earlier on I wrote that I couldn't extend my subscription due to an error on their website - it's because I have a non-standard letter in my address (Ö, in case anyone was interested).

Just read the interview with Paul Turner, worth the investment for this issue alone IMO. Also Andrew Mckinney is starting a short series on reading notation for those who are interested in reading.

[quote name='Rich' post='551933' date='Jul 26 2009, 05:38 PM']Ditto on the P.Turner interview, I like his views on 5 string basses. He could be onto something.[/quote]

+1, just as I was thinking of getting a 5 again PT stops GAS in its tracks (fro the time being anyway).