Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

But why does this incivility happen? My only surmise it's because he's in the public eye, recorded with famous musicians, has a column in BGM, plays a £8,000 bass, defends that bass vociferously, has more chops than Jeff Berlin, is the public face of Christian Dior, has sponsorship from Iceland, often papped outside Tiger Tiger and The Ivy, wears too much make up, has fake norks, slags off the Queen in the Mirror, disowned his quintuplets, supports Greenpeace while being seen eating bluefin tuna, is Uri Geller's best mate, has two penises .. you get my drift?

As soon as someone gets a bit of notoriety, some people feel they are now a legitimate object for their derision and speculation and can deride them with impunity. It's sort of a British disease. The same thing would happen if Water of Tyne got the Beyoncé gig, or if Big Beef Chief started regularly appearing on Mock The Week.

[quote name='silddx' post='534591' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:30 PM']The same thing would happen if Water of Tyne got the Beyoncé gig[/quote]

She did ask, but when I found out it was for my rugged good looks and charm rather than my bass chops, I said no.

The cheeky popstrel.

[quote name='silddx' post='534591' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:30 PM']But why does this incivility happen? My only surmise it's because he's in the public eye, recorded with famous musicians, has a column in BGM, plays a £8,000 bass, defends that bass vociferously, has more chops than Jeff Berlin, is the public face of Christian Dior, has sponsorship from Iceland, often papped outside Tiger Tiger and The Ivy, wears too much make up, has fake norks, slags off the Queen in the Mirror, disowned his quintuplets, supports Greenpeace while being seen eating bluefin tuna, is Uri Geller's best mate, has two penises .. you get my drift?

As soon as someone gets a bit of notoriety, some people feel they are now a legitimate object for their derision and speculation and can deride them with impunity. It's sort of a British disease. The same thing would happen if Water of Tyne got the Beyoncé gig, or if Big Beef Chief started regularly appearing on Mock The Week.[/quote]

A very articulate comment.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='534154' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:15 PM']What a shame, a real talent in the bass world comes to basschat and bins us because of idiots taking petty shots.

I feel ashamed on their behalf.

G[/quote]

+1 As ever it is the few who spoil it for the rest of us. Access on the forums to those who actually make a living from music is useful for everyone, unfortunately they won't come visit if certain people (you know who you are) just decide that it's an opportunity to pedal bile.

FWIW BGM is still the best all round bass mag available to us IMO. (How many abbreviations?)

[quote name='silddx' post='534591' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:30 PM']But why does this incivility happen? My only surmise it's because he's in the public eye, recorded with famous musicians, has a column in BGM, plays a £8,000 bass, defends that bass vociferously, has more chops than Jeff Berlin, is the public face of Christian Dior, has sponsorship from Iceland, often papped outside Tiger Tiger and The Ivy, wears too much make up, has fake norks, slags off the Queen in the Mirror, disowned his quintuplets, supports Greenpeace while being seen eating bluefin tuna, is Uri Geller's best mate, has two penises .. you get my drift?

As soon as someone gets a bit of notoriety, some people feel they are now a legitimate object for their derision and speculation and can deride them with impunity. It's sort of a British disease. The same thing would happen if Water of Tyne got the Beyoncé gig, or if Big Beef Chief started regularly appearing on Mock The Week.[/quote]

There were a couple of immature comments regarding his fodera comment. I would put them down to jealousy.

Maybe i've read it wrong, but I got the impression he was just as annoyed about people complaining about the price of gear reviewed. People were saying that they should review gear in a lower price bracket, and instead of saying "good idea, i'll suggest it to the editor" he tried to defend the status quo, and quite aggressivley at that.

IMHO it's not the minority ruining it for the majority. It's one pro bassist who isn't suited to internet forums!

[quote name='Geek99' post='534675' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:56 PM']Maybe I'm being dumb, but why is that a typo? There's only one of her.[/quote]

Ah, but she's not a bass player. The interview that incorrectly titled gear box-out was attached to was about Christian McBride. A large, double bass-playing black man with a baritone voice. Quite the opposite of Duffy.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='cheddatom' post='534673' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:55 PM']IMHO it's not the minority ruining it for the majority. It's one pro bassist who isn't suited to internet forums![/quote]

Isn't suited? What, like he doesn't fit? Doesn't go along with the bullshit that so often piles up on here? Didn't realise you have to "suit" an internet forum.

[quote name='Jase' post='534686' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:05 PM']Isn't suited? What, like he doesn't fit? Doesn't go along with the bullshit that so often piles up on here? Didn't realise you have to "suit" an internet forum.[/quote]

He has a tendancy to post lofty opinions, usually as statements of fact and then gets upset and leaves when challenged on them.

Really, this is a cycle that's been happening since the days of bassworld and anyone who's been around for long enough will remember that.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='534673' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:55 PM']IMHO it's not the minority ruining it for the majority. It's one pro bassist who isn't suited to internet forums![/quote]
I'm sure this guy is a superb bassist and there is a lot he could contribute to the forum for those players into the more studious aspects of bass playing.

Having said that, in the posts of his I've read he nearly always comes across as a humourless, stroppy prima donna who throws his toys out of the pram if he thinks he's not being shown the respect and reverance he so obviously feels he deserves.
That sort of attitude is always going to draw the flak on a discussion forum such as this, regardless of who the poster is.
I really don't think he was being got at because he's been on the cover of a magazine, plays a Fodera or anything else connected to his bass playing. He was being got at because he was acting arrogantly.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Waldo' post='534706' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:30 PM']He has a tendancy to post lofty opinions, usually as statements of fact and then gets upset and leaves when challenged on them.

Really, this is a cycle that's been happening since the days of bassworld and anyone who's been around for long enough will remember that.[/quote]

It's a bit cheeky of this world class pro musician to post his opinions eh? And because of his experience, ability and skill, allied to extensive use of various equipment and basses - how dare he voice his opinion in here?

He has the nerve to upset the clique that let's face it, know much better? (After all, he can't get a sound or play like the people in here that don't often get beyond the bedroom door).

He must be "wrong" because there are five posts that I have read that not only insult him to some degree, but question his authority. All not really relevant either.

This guy is consulted by the magazine in this topic that doesn't pay him for his input, is read by a lot of people in here that don't like it or the contents, and then he gets slaughtered and the rest of us feel embarrassed by the minority that have made him decide that he doesn't want to be a contributor to BC anymore?

I would like to suggest that the people who don't like the magazine don't buy it anymore so your sadomasochism can be eradicated, and if and whenever again, there is a skilled pro bassist decides to join in the forum, he is respected and encouraged to share his knowledge and wisdom.

Show some respect, no matter who it is.

[quote name='RhysP' post='534729' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:48 PM']He was being got at because he was acting arrogantly.[/quote]

No he wasn't - the people who were kicking him were acting inappropriately. And it was the usual suspects that rounded on him.
And I think your comment is inappropriate too.

He probably only made his point because there was reference to him in the thread - as you would. The "discussion" regarding high end instruments surfaced because of comments from forum members, he did not develop it himself. As has already been quoted, I didn't find anything wrong with his balanced and interesting input and neither did a lot of others.

[quote name='RhysP' post='534729' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:48 PM']He was being got at because he was acting arrogantly.[/quote]

I don't think that was really arrogance, but I agree it may have been perceived by some in that way. Mind you, there are people out there that think getting on a stage is in some way arrogant and showing off.

What are your views on the negative responses, on here, to this perceived arrogance?

[quote name='silddx' post='534748' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:04 PM']I don't think that was really arrogance, but I agree it may have been perceived by some in that way. Mind you, there are people out there that think getting on a stage is in some way arrogant and showing off.

What are your views on the negative responses, on here, to this perceived arrogance?[/quote]

I did not perceive any arrogance at all.

Saying someone is arrogant is a common defence statement that people sometimes use when they can't find anything else to have a go at.

I can't find anything wrong with Janek's posts.

Then again, I was called "patronising" by someone in another post about this - I notice that post has been deleted.

The negative responses are a bit like a tribal thing I think - like football fans behaviour. Someone says something and it triggers a rush of hatred from envious people.

I agree with an earlier comment you made - perhaps it is a UK thing - the one's with inferior talent just love to annihilate.

I always thought arrogance was an offensive showing of superiority. That certainly was not the case with Janek's responses.
And if people think that arrogance is someone displaying their ability/knowledge in their speciality area, then those people will never learn anything, because they assume they know better.

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='534761' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:12 PM']I'm not sure what to contribute to this thread, but after seeing the negative comments about Janek, the word 'envy' comes to mind.[/quote]

I said that earlier (but not my invention) [i]"Envy is the art of counting the other fellow's blessings instead of your own. "[/i]

Hmm... maybe some of his posts have been deleted because I can't find where he acts like this.

He is a rare breed on BC, not just a professional musician but a very successful one pretty much at the top of the tree. If he's not allowed to state the way he sees things with some authority then who is?

I see a lot of BCers acting in a very arrogant manner and it almost seems the norm :)

[quote name='rslaing' post='534766' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:14 PM']I did not perceive any arrogance at all.

Saying someone is arrogant is a common defence statement that people sometimes use when they can't find anything else to have a go at.

I can't find anything wrong with Janek's posts.

Then again, I was called "patronising" by someone in another post about this - I notice that post has been deleted.

The negative responses are a bit like a tribal thing I think - like football fans behaviour. Someone says something and it triggers a rush of hatred from envious people.

I agree with an earlier comment you made - perhaps it is a UK thing - the one's with inferior talent just love to annihilate.

I always thought arrogance was an offensive showing of superiority. That certainly was not the case with Janek's responses.
And if people think that arrogance is someone displaying their ability/knowledge in their speciality area, then those people will never learn anything, because they assume they know better.[/quote]

Yes, I called you patronising due to the particularly insidious way you belittle other members in order to make a point. I stand by it, as even in that post you've implied that anyone with a conflicting opinion must be of inferior talent!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='534772' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:19 PM']Hmm... maybe some of his posts have been deleted because I can't find where he acts like this.

He is a rare breed on BC, not just a professional musician but a very successful one pretty much at the top of the tree. If he's not allowed to state the way he sees things with some authority then who is?

I see a lot of BCers acting in a very arrogant manner and it almost seems the norm :)[/quote]

Well said :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, if you have an opinion that does not concur with the "usual culprits" opinions - you are arrogant, and quite obviously incorrect. :lol:

It's a shame that as in life, the minority have to spoil things for others.

And to get back on topic. I have never bought a music magazine in my life. If I want some equipment, I find out what my favourite players are using, and I buy it.

Why would anyone want to read reviews of equipment and buy it, or even venture out to try it, because of someone's (we have never heard of) opinion which most likely, will not be based on our personal criteria?