Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='rslaing' post='534785' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:25 PM']And to get back on topic. I have never bought a music magazine in my life. If I want some equipment, I find out what my favourite players are using, and I buy it.[/quote]
What a peculiar approach to take. If I want some equipment, I try stuff out and buy what I want to buy. Some bassists I like (for example) play Ricks, and I really don't get on with them. I'm not keen on Fenders either.

As for BGM, I buy it. It's rather parson's egg, as I think someone else has already said, but there's a fair amount of good stuff in there. I generally view the reviews of top-end gear as I do reviews of supercars costing upwards of 100k on Top Gear.

[quote name='tauzero' post='535546' date='Jul 8 2009, 11:32 AM'][i]"If I want some equipment, I find out what my favourite players are using, and I buy it"[/i]

What a peculiar approach to take. If I want some equipment, I try stuff out and buy what I want to buy.[/quote]

Not a peculiar approach at all...........

I liked the sound that Laurence Cottle had in a concert he did, so I went out and bought an EBS rig.

I would have thought it a logical way to do it, and it saves a lot of time experimenting with stuff.

Unless of course, that is what you like to do.

I got a POD X3 Live so I didn't have to do what either of you two above do :rolleyes:

I hear a sound in my head, I've usually got it for real within fifteen minutes :)

I still read many of the gear reviews in BGM though, still useful operational tips to feed into the POD.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='541481' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:54 PM']I got a POD X3 Live so I didn't have to do what either of you two above do :lol:

I hear a sound in my head, I've usually got it for real within fifteen minutes :)

I still read many of the gear reviews in BGM though, still useful operational tips to feed into the POD.[/quote]

I have one too, they are great when you need to get an alternative sound, and they are easily tweaked or programmed to get what you want.

Especially when recording.

I don't use it much now - the VB99 is my preferred add-on and is very versatile.

If it's good enough for Bona.............................. :rolleyes: (which again, is why I bought it)

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='rslaing' post='541521' date='Jul 15 2009, 06:48 PM']I have one too, they are great when you need to get an alternative sound, and they are easily tweaked or programmed to get what you want.

Especially when recording.[/quote]

You're quite right. I recorded with mine last night for a song for which I was asked to provide a very distorted sound with delay. I used my Kopo fretless and it sounded lush, gently sliding in and out of the key notes. Sounded a bit like a fretless baritone guitar with the bass full up. I was sliding around making whale noises at the end :) Great fun!

[quote name='rslaing' post='541447' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:13 PM']Not a peculiar approach at all...........

I liked the sound that Laurence Cottle had in a concert he did, so I went out and bought an EBS rig.

I would have thought it a logical way to do it, and it saves a lot of time experimenting with stuff.[/quote]
That's not what you said though. You said that you bought what your favourite players used. I rate (for example) Chris Squire highly but I wouldn't buy a Rick, and nor would I particularly want his sound as I'm not keen on it.

It also doesn't make much sense just to buy one bit of the chain. You really need the same instrument, effects, amp, cab, strings, and fingers.

[quote name='tauzero' post='541820' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:50 PM']That's not what you said though. You said that you bought what your favourite players used. I rate (for example) Chris Squire highly but I wouldn't buy a Rick, and nor would I particularly want his sound as I'm not keen on it.

It also doesn't make much sense just to buy one bit of the chain. You really need the same instrument, effects, amp, cab, strings, and fingers.[/quote]

yeh it seems a very weird approach.

If you were to only ever use the gear of the players you admired, then you could be missing out on a whole world of sound and tone which would really suit YOU but doesn't suit those you admire.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='542052' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:02 AM']yeh it seems a very weird approach.

If you were to only ever use the gear of the players you admired, then you could be missing out on a whole world of sound and tone which would really suit YOU but doesn't suit those you admire.[/quote]

Not sure if it's a weird approach, not one I would use for sure, but that approach IS rslaing and what suits HIM. Most players we admire didn't get their kit as a result of massive disscussion, like on here and elsewhere, just from what was available, how it looked, what turned them on about it and what they could afford. Many were self taught and did not have the benefit of Bsss X, BIT, etc. Look at Geddy Lee's ever evolving rig and the huge changes in kit he's gone through over the years. Yet he's gone back to a Jazz, but without using speaker cabs.

[quote name='tauzero' post='541820' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:50 PM']That's not what you said though. You said that you bought what your favourite players used. I rate (for example) Chris Squire highly but I wouldn't buy a Rick, and nor would I particularly want his sound as I'm not keen on it.

It also doesn't make much sense just to buy one bit of the chain. You really need the same instrument, effects, amp, cab, strings, and fingers.[/quote]

Most top players in the genre I prefer don't use effects. So if I like the live sound, I buy the stuff that creates that sound. Apart from the fingers.

[quote name='silddx' post='449787' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:08 PM'][size=6][b]Bass Guitar Magazine - April 2009[/b][/size]

[font="Georgia"][color="#FF0000"][b]A magazine on a low shelf with a with a big-bottomed British blonde [/b][/color] on the cover is always going to turn heads. So when this skinny wretch turned up there was a big shortage of willing testicles.
[b]silddx draws the short straw ...[/b]

[size=7]B[/size]ass Guitar Magazine, from virtually unknown publisher Oyster House, has been around for a number of years now. It has a look and identity all of its own and with an ever decreasing popularity why is it often the last choice for many players?

[size=3][b]Quality And Features[/b][/size]
This particular issue has a high gloss finish, good spine and feels thin. Combines a few bass and amplifier reviews with a "report" from NAMM and interviews with some major name players and some we've never heard of. In addition, there are some full page glossy advertisements and some lessons at the back in how to play like someone else. There is also a five-page Fender catalogue included which is called a "Gear Roundup". There is a picture of a bass guitar on the cover obscured by a logotype proclaiming [size=7]BASS [/size]Guitar Magazine. They claim to be the UK's number one bass guitar magazine, which is true by dint of the fact it is the only UK bass guitar magazine. There are numerous typographical and grammatical errors and the NAMM review also appears to be a catalogue, but for the typographical error pointing to the fact the tea lady put it together.

[size=3]Impressions [/size]
I was unpleasantly surprised at how dull it was to read and it made my usually invigorating and leisurely morning toilet pass quickly and without note. I considered saving 90 sheets of Andrex this time, but at £3.95 an issue I felt I should read it all first. It is a thin publication with thick paper, so perhaps tomorrow. I decided to play spot the typo and was rewarded with a manufacturer's name being spelled incorrectly. A real bonus. Having spent several days with this magazine I have to admit the advertisements in Bass Player are a better, more informative read than the reviews in BGM, the only spine here is what holds the publication together.

[b]Conclusions[/b]
Without wishing to upset or denigrate the contributors, to me, this issue of [size=7]BASS[/size] Guitar Magazine was as useful as a "Do Not Touch" sign in braille, and the few reviews contained therein left me in much doubt about which bass I should state on my mortgage application form. The Fender catalogue was very interesting but unfortunately I had one already. The errors in the magazine made me feel I could not trust what little content there was, and the start of my day with my friend Armitage Shanks was unforgivably tainted.
[b]silddx[/b]

[color="#FF0000"][b]What[/b][/color] I Think
[b]Plus:[/b] Nice glossy paper with some good catalogues inside.
[b]Minus:[/b] Dull and lifeless. Serious competition from other publishers in this price range.
[b]Overall:[/b] A waste of good kebab money.

[b]SILDDX RATING OUT OF FIVE[/b]
BUILD QUALITY ****
CONTENT QUALITY *
VALUE FOR MONEY *
[/font][/quote]

Ever get the feeling you are wasting your life?

Are you by any chance someone with crushed dreams of a career in writing? Is that why you feel the need to spend large amounts of your free time lashing out at established journalists and writers with worn out cliches, over petty issues. Disliking a magazine is one thing, but spending this much time moaning over niggles is another. You know you could just not buy the magazine...

People like you who use your 'wit' to act upon petty, meaningless issues like this are the ones putting internet debates in a bad light. The media owes you nothing. If you think you are above the writers in the magazine, why don't you put your apparent skills to better use?

Aaaaanyway, Bass Guitar Magazine may be a bit too brown nosed, but it's better than nothing.

[quote name='yituool' post='546165' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:08 AM']People like you who use your 'wit' to act upon petty, meaningless issues like this are the ones putting internet debates in a bad light.[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about? This kind of post is what the internet is about. The guy cares about the issue, so he makes a great big clever post about it, what's the problem? Fair enough if you disagree with his opinion, but to insult his personality is a bit harsh!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='546183' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:19 AM']Censorship. Got to love it. It's like taking a R rated movie and dumbing it down to a 12. Kinda makes it all pointless.[/quote]

Still, better than a group of 12 year olds watching a rated R film, no?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='546182' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:16 AM']Can you spell it out?[/quote]

Do I really have to? :)

[quote]Still, better than a group of 12 year olds watching a rated R film, no?[/quote]

Tbh, there's not much wrong with that.