Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

I'm intrigued by Les Claypool's Bassjo. I must have spent an hour on google trying to find one. I also like the Resonator bass. Both ideas are really quite silly but appeal to my tastes. I also thought Pete Turner (from Elbow / cover star) appears to have both my dress sense and taste in basses!

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='551110' date='Jul 25 2009, 01:14 PM']there's an interview with me in August's edition of the mag!!

its one of the proudest moments of my life..i used to buy the mag as a youth!

i was interviewed at Sheperds Bush Empire with my band www.myspace.com/ravenvandelle
we were supporting UFO..

hope everyone is well and enjoyin the sun-while it lasts!

regards
jimi[/quote]

Congrats Jimi!!

I keep going to my local book store waiting for it to show up!! (it's an import here)
I have a piece in this issue too! I am so excited! I haven't seen it in the magazine yet But Joel was kind enough to email me a copy of it.

Craig

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='558414' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:09 PM']I'm intrigued by Les Claypool's Bassjo. I must have spent an hour on google trying to find one. I also like the Resonator bass. Both ideas are really quite silly but appeal to my tastes. I also thought Pete Turner (from Elbow / cover star) appears to have both my dress sense and taste in basses![/quote]

I had a resonator bass, the idea being to play acoustically and to keep up with a couple of acoustic guitars. Although a bit louder than a "normal" acoustic it sounded awful and still didn't manage it.
Amplified, however, it was almost a double bass sound ..

Oh that's Pete Turner on teh cover. I thought it was Crab Man from My Name is Earl! :)

I'm really enjoying this issue. and + on Stu Hamm. He's doing a few workshops soon too. There's a date list in the mag.

Another random thought for BGM staff/contributors to consider:

It'd be nice if a consistent house style was applied to the chord symbols in the notated examples. For example, we've got Cm7 in Dave Marks' B-flat jazz blues bit, but Janek's got his minor chords notated as A-. Now, I know that A- = Am = Amin, but someone with less knowledge might assume -- because they're in the same magazine and they look like different things -- that they [i]are[/i] different things. Years of confusion ensue.

Personally, I'd go for m=minor, maj=major (seventh), dim=diminished (none of this circle stuff) etc. IME, triangles and minus signs are much more common in the US.

[quote name='Craigmartini' post='559874' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:17 AM']Congrats Jimi!!

I keep going to my local book store waiting for it to show up!! (it's an import here)
I have a piece in this issue too! I am so excited! I haven't seen it in the magazine yet But Joel was kind enough to email me a copy of it.

Craig[/quote]

Yes, I noticed you were in there too! Nice one :)

I've followed this thread with interest from the outset and have both agreed and disagreed with various
comments and remarks though, up to now, have resisted adding my 2p-worth.
Ok, so -- for what it's worth -- I've been buying BGM almost from the first issue and will continue to buy it having seen it improve vastly in recent months.
I'm also enjoying the latest issue though have not read it cover to cover... yet! :)

However, as has been mentioned previously by others here, I am also still finding typo's and certain other errors that I feel warrant a mention.
From the current issue:
- Front cover: (sub-heading) "ELBOW Pete Turner on the making of [i][b]the[/b][/i] The Seldom Seen Kid"
- Editorial (p.8): Final paragraph "[i][b]recieved[/b][/i]" (note - 'i before e except after c' :lol: )
- Take Five (p.17): letter spacing for Jean-Jacques Burnel makes his surname look like Jean-Jacques Bumel!

That's all I'm going to say in this regard. Sorry if I'm being picky here. To be honest, I could mention a couple
of other more minor points but really don't want this to be a total put-down of the magazine.
It was just the above-mentioned 'errors' that jumped out at me and sshouted "Boo!", that I felt should be pointed out.

On a positive note, I like the layout of the magazine which has a bright and modern presentation. Well done, keep improving and keep it coming!
None of the above will put me off buying BGM which I shall continue to do. Hell, it's all we've got over here! :lol:
No doubt we'll continue to play "Spot The Typo" too... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Steve

[quote name='Stingray5' post='560222' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:26 PM']However, as has been mentioned previously by others here, I am also still finding typo's and certain other errors that I feel warrant a mention.
From the current issue:
- Front cover: (sub-heading) "ELBOW Pete Turner on the making of [i][b]the[/b][/i] The Seldom Seen Kid"
- Editorial (p.8): Final paragraph "[i][b]recieved[/b][/i]" (note - 'i before e except after c' :rolleyes: )
- Take Five (p.17): letter spacing for Jean-Jacques Burnel makes his surname look like Jean-Jacques Bumel![/quote]

I also think it has improved and will continue reading it, but with regard to your comments above -

1. As the album is called "The Seldom Seen Kid" then it isn't totally wrong to put the extra "the" in there, though it would have looked better had it been written "the making of the album The Seldom...", or even putting quotes around the album tiitle.
2. Agreed, though as schools have now been asked to stop teaching the "i before e except after c" rule I suspect it will get even more common.
3. Definitely - though due to the size font I use in my browser it looks like Bumel both times you have written it :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='560255' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:00 PM']I also think it has improved and will continue reading it, but with regard to your comments above -

1. As the album is called "The Seldom Seen Kid" then it isn't totally wrong to put the extra "the" in there, though it would have looked better had it been written "the making of the album The Seldom...", or even putting quotes around the album tiitle.
2. Agreed, though as schools have now been asked to stop teaching the "i before e except after c" rule I suspect it will get even more common.
3. Definitely - though due to the size font I use in my browser it looks like Bumel both times you have written it :)[/quote]

1. I used to quite like the The The.
2. Good Greif! Whats the rationale behind that? Can we expect a generation of Molesworths?
3. Looking fwd to the day that some under-prepared journo addresses JJ as 'Mr Bummel'

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='560261' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:11 PM']2. Good Greif! Whats the rationale behind that? Can we expect a generation of Molesworths?[/quote]
Apparently there are too many exceptions :rolleyes:

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8110573.stm"]Link here[/url]

Edit: :lol: just noticed greif - can't believe I missed that one :)

Edited by bythesea

I'm only gonna jump in on the issue of Janek very briefly on this...

I will preface this by saying he's a mate of mine, but aside from that....

He is a terrifying musician. Think about that. Musician. His ability as a bassist is ridiculous, but this man is a fantastic musician. He plays beautifully, writes with depth and soul in his compositions, can read and transcribe fluently and has a fabulous ear. He plays a wide range of styles with confidence and authority and can put on different hats as a performer, whether as a bassist or playing drums or guitar, and also as a teacher, producer and arranger.

How many of us can hit the standard across so many skills simultaneously?

I find it hilarious that some musicians who (with no disrespect AT ALL) cannot hold a candle to his skill set, see fit to rubbish on him because he shares his opinions on the world that he finds before him and he does so unapologetically. When a man dedicates himself to an ideal and strives day in and day out to achieve that ideal, that should be an inspiration to all of us, even if that particular ideal isn't one that we hold close to our heart.

People think of him as arrogant, because they assume that we're all on the same page and all of our contributions are equally valid. (opening floodgates..... now.) They are not. The problem with the internet is that it allows billy armchair to jump up from his position of limited experience and go head to head with experienced professionals (in whatever field) as if we are all equals.

WE AREN'T.

I love that fact. Some of us are further down the road than others. I make no apologies for my abilities. I've worked fkng hard over the years for them. A lot of my students look up to me. I know that the level I hit inspires them. I look up to Janek. He inspires the sh*t out of me. I saw him play the last time he was in London and I was blown away. Honestly. It was euphoric. The whole band and the music they made was beautiful. If we assume that we are all equal and nothing is better than anything else, then what do we have to aspire to???

Also... some members ask for reviewers who will 'tell it like it is' about the assembly of a piece of wood and some metal. Don't hold back -we'd respect your honesty and integrity.. etc etc...

When a player starts to 'tell it like it is' about actually being a musician for a living and trying to play your instrument well, (wherein they might rubbish some of the ideas of said members)

Suddenly you're an arrogant prick.

I love it.

I stopped contributing opinions on forums a while back for the same reasons.

It seems like a lot of people ask questions, not because they want the truthful answers, but because they hope enough (other, similarly uninformed) people will agree with them that they can continue to justify their bad habits and counterproductive philosophies.

I love knowing that there are players out there who would clean me out. I read about them, I go to their masterclasses, I try to hang out with them and absorb their vibe if I can. It all makes me a better musician. Fk the bass. Bass is irrelevant. Music is where it's at. To quote my friend richard Niles:

"The word 'instrument' is significant. A guitar or piano (or a computer) is an instrument that facilitates expression, like a spoon facilitates drinking soup. The important thing is the soup, not the spoon."

He's a great musician. If you don't like his opinion, disregard it. But stop ragging on him.

end of rant.

d

[quote name='bythesea' post='560255' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:00 PM']I also think it has improved and will continue reading it, but with regard to your comments above -

3. Definitely - though due to the size font I use in my browser it looks like Bumel both times you have written it :)[/quote]
1. I take your point and did think of that too. I have the album and even double-checked the 'The' was actually there in the first place. I agree it might have been better phrased as per your suggestion. Or just leave out the 'the'...! :lol:
2. Yet more dumbing down! It'll be the end of civilization as we know it! Jst wt til u strt rdng bass gtr mag n othrs all in txt spk! :rolleyes:
3. Yikes, what size font are you using?!

[quote name='Stingray5' post='560284' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:29 PM']1. I take your point and did think of that too. I have the album and even double-checked the 'The' was actually there in the first place. I agree it might have been better phrased as per your suggestion. Or just leave out the 'the'...! :lol:
2. Yet more dumbing down! It'll be the end of civilization as we know it! Jst wt til u strt rdng bass gtr mag n othrs all in txt spk! :rolleyes:
3. Yikes, what size font are you using?![/quote]
:) That will be when BGM gets delivered as a text then!

And as for the font size, not sure - it's too small to read!!

[quote name='Davemarks' post='560282' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:28 PM']I'm only gonna jump in on the issue of Janek very briefly on this...

He is a terrifying musician. Think about that. Musician. His ability as a bassist is ridiculous, but this man is a fantastic musician. He plays beautifully, writes with depth and soul in his compositions, can read and transcribe fluently and has a fabulous ear. He plays a wide range of styles with confidence and authority and can put on different hats as a performer, whether as a bassist or playing drums or guitar, and also as a teacher, producer and arranger.

I find it hilarious that some musicians who (with no disrespect AT ALL) cannot hold a candle to his skill set, see fit to rubbish on him because he shares his opinions on the world that he finds before him and he does so unapologetically. When a man dedicates himself to an ideal and strives day in and day out to achieve that ideal, that should be an inspiration to all of us, even if that particular ideal isn't one that we hold close to our heart.

People think of him as arrogant, because they assume that we're all on the same page and all of our contributions are equally valid. (opening floodgates..... now.) They are not. The problem with the internet is that it allows billy armchair to jump up from his position of limited experience and go head to head with experienced professionals (in whatever field) as if we are all equals.

WE AREN'T.

I love that fact. Some of us are further down the road than others. I make no apologies for my abilities. I've worked fkng hard over the years for them. A lot of my students look up to me. I know that the level I hit inspires them. I look up to Janek. He inspires the sh*t out of me. I saw him play the last time he was in London and I was blown away. Honestly. It was euphoric. The whole band and the music they made was beautiful. If we assume that we are all equal and nothing is better than anything else, then what do we have to aspire to???

Also... some members ask for reviewers who will 'tell it like it is' about the assembly of a piece of wood and some metal. Don't hold back -we'd respect your honesty and integrity.. etc etc...

When a player starts to 'tell it like it is' about actually being a musician for a living and trying to play your instrument well, (wherein they might rubbish some of the ideas of said members)

I love it.

It seems like a lot of people ask questions, not because they want the truthful answers, but because they hope enough (other, similarly uninformed) people will agree with them that they can continue to justify their bad habits and counterproductive philosophies.

I love knowing that there are players out there who would clean me out. I read about them, I go to their masterclasses, I try to hang out with them and absorb their vibe if I can. It all makes me a better musician. Fk the bass. Bass is irrelevant. Music is where it's at. To quote my friend richard Niles:

"The word 'instrument' is significant. A guitar or piano (or a computer) is an instrument that facilitates expression, like a spoon facilitates drinking soup. The important thing is the soup, not the spoon."

He's a great musician. If you don't like his opinion, disregard it. But stop ragging on him.

end of rant.

d[/quote]

I'm waiting for one of the "righteous" to dispute any of the above. Should be interesting.

Brilliant post Dave, especially the [i]"It seems like a lot of people ask questions, not because they want the truthful answers, but because they hope enough (other, similarly uninformed) people will agree with them that they can continue to justify their bad habits and counterproductive philosophies."[/i]

Thank you. :)

[quote name='Davemarks' post='560282' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:28 PM']I'm only gonna jump in on the issue of Janek very briefly on this...

WE AREN'T.

I love it.

end of rant.

d[/quote]

Absolutely amazing response. Well done mate. As for the last bit about the instrument, Victor Wooten also stresses that point.

WE AREN'T.

I love it.

end of rant.

d[/quote]

Bang on, and very eloquently put.

Couldn't agree more about the soup.

[quote name='Davemarks' post='560282' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:28 PM']He's a great musician. If you don't like his opinion, disregard it. But stop ragging on him.[/quote]

I only "rag" on him because he presents himself as a bit of a twat. I'm in no position to comment on his ability. As a listener, I can comment on his musical ouput - although this will always be "just" my opinion, which isn't worth much.

I don't doubt he's an incredible musician. I also like the fact he's slightly outspoken. Good stuff. I'm sure he's a good laugh in the pub.

He has (like many others) flounced about on here a bit, hence I say he presents himself as a bit of a twat.

Are we suggesting that because he's a superior musician we can't comment on his general behaviour?

You pros talk about resilence and drive, but f*** mine, all it takes is someone to annoy you on a web forum and you f*** off back to talkbass.

Call me a weirdo, but I can't suck up to a guy just because he's an incredible musician. I'm great at making cups of tea, but that doesn't cut me any slack on the Twinnings forum.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='560381' date='Aug 4 2009, 05:10 PM']Is username "JanekGwizdala" Janek? or is "Gwizmon"?

I'm confused... have we an imposter? Or multiple IDs?

Anyway, top post Dave. Wolverine is a champ.[/quote]
Gwizmon doesn't exist any more, and all of Gwizmon's posts have had their author changed to JanekGwizdala. So Janek must have had his username changed. Simple.

Edited by BottomEndian