Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='Sean' post='576189' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:59 PM']The great thing for me about this month's BGM is Doug Wimbish on the front with his new signature Spector, Doug Wimbish in the middle with his new signature Spector, Doug Wimbish's new signature Sector reviewed in the middle and Doug Wimbish with his old signature Ibanez on the back :) ! Come on Rotosound, sort it out! Get some new shots of Doug![/quote]

Rotosound caused trouble a few issues ago too when there was a big article in the mag on Jools Holland's bassist, Dave Swift, and then Paul Geary ( I think) was names as playing with Holland in the Rotosound ad :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Zombywoof' post='607695' date='Sep 24 2009, 02:57 PM']Stopped buying these kind of mags years ago. They're just loft fodder. I used to like Bassist magazine...what ever happened to it?[/quote]

Because lots of other people stopped buying these mags years ago, I'd wager they closed up shop.

Bassist got absorbed by its big brother Guitarist mag. It soldiered on as a token section of that mag for a while, and Roger Newell even carried the title 'Bass Editor' for a while -- it must have been the easiest job in the world, as the average bass content was around 5 pages of Squier reviews. This slowly became 4 and then 3 pages, and then disappeared completely.

[quote name='Zombywoof' post='607695' date='Sep 24 2009, 01:57 PM']Stopped buying these kind of mags years ago. They're just loft fodder. I used to like Bassist magazine...what ever happened to it?[/quote]

Bassist could have continued on to be a good mag, but I think the editors lost the plot towards the end with that cartoon that they used to put in it (what was all that about?). I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't exactly in the same league as Mr Natural or The Lone Groover (now I am showing my age....). They could have put something far more worthwhile in there.

Shame really....

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

I love the new issue, great article on squarepusher, very interesting and this guy has some serious fans in the bass playing community. I have to say i can read the interesting bits in BP in smiths in less than 5 minutes ( I usually still buy it though). I was reading this months mag for ages and still had not got half way through. Lots of interesting stuff for me at least, maybe I am just easily pleased.

[quote name='NJE' post='608368' date='Sep 25 2009, 09:31 AM']I love the new issue, great article on squarepusher, very interesting and this guy has some serious fans in the bass playing community. I have to say i can read the interesting bits in BP in smiths in less than 5 minutes ( I usually still buy it though). I was reading this months mag for ages and still had not got half way through. Lots of interesting stuff for me at least, maybe I am just easily pleased.[/quote]
Agreed. Got it this morning and read the Squarepusher interview. I've said it before, Mike Flynn is a great writer and interviewer, a really top read. I felt the Music Man and PJB reviews were poorly written (really odd decriptions and phrases too) and there is a very dodgy problem with the text flow in the MM review. I really liked the Dingwall piece, that was great. Looking forward to reading the rest of it.

There is a definite improvement happening with BGM. It gets better every month.

[quote name='ezbass' post='608703' date='Sep 25 2009, 03:35 PM']Haven't got mine yet and it's already in the shops![/quote]
I will be down to those lazy f***ers in the RM striking again, when the rest of us work for a living. They need bloody privatising, sharpish. Apologies to those of you here in the RM, but it pisses me off. I actually got an email today from Guitarist Magazine saying my subs issue may arrive late because of postal strikes.

Wah hey it's here!

Much better BGM, a really good balance of gear. See it seems they do listen. Anyone checked out their website recently? That is also very much improved. Now all we need is for them to do the Brit players features I recommended to them with Pino, Bruce Thomas and Dee Murray as the starting point.

[quote name='silddx' post='608709' date='Sep 25 2009, 03:40 PM']I will be down to those lazy f***ers in the RM striking again, when the rest of us work for a living. They need bloody privatising, sharpish. Apologies to those of you here in the RM, but it pisses me off. I actually got an email today from Guitarist Magazine saying my subs issue may arrive late because of postal strikes.[/quote]

Tbf, who would actually want to privately own the royal mail? They won't make any profits unless they'd make things more expensive for us.

I've read much more of it now. Have to say, it feels bigger than it really is, lots of good stuff in there and the reviews are getting more mainstream in terms of gear price. Quite like the contrast of Squarepusher and the two '80s pop bands. I'd still like to see a letters page though. Overall, I'm really pleased with the way it's going and look forward to the next one. Do you reckon this is down to the direction of Nick Wells then?

Yup, more improvements this month. Interviews are much more interesting, and the new layout in the tuition/exercises bit at the back looks much more professional. Just two quibbles that have really stuck out at me this month, and they're both to do with what contributors have written, rather than the magazine itself:
[list=1]
[*]Stu Hamm says that you "should" be able to play root, third, octave as a chord across three strings (e.g. G at 3rd fret on E-string, B at 2nd fret on A-string, G at 5th fret on D-string). This runs contrary to all advice I've ever seen or heard about playing one-finger-per-fret, which says you should always release the index finger and pivot around the thumb before attempting to fret with the ring or little fingers. To do what Stu Hamm's suggesting would surely lead to some nasty hand strain. I know I can't do it at all, and to be told by a pro that I "should" be able to do that might be off-putting to an impressionable beginner.
[*]Janek attributes "I Want You Back" to Jamerson, when everyone knows it was [s]Carol Kaye[/s] (sorry, on autopilot there) [b]Wilton Felder[/b].
[/list]

[quote name='51m0n' post='611678' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:04 AM']I've been enjoyiong this months one too - esp the Squarepusher interview - damn he's a control freak live :) I struggle remembering which end to blow through, and hes running sequencers, lights and blowing a gale - git![/quote]
Mike Flynn is a great interviewer. The Squarepusher piece is so interesting from a philosophical point of view.

[quote name='silddx' post='608709' date='Sep 25 2009, 03:40 PM']I will be down to those lazy f***ers in the RM striking again, when the rest of us work for a living. They need bloody privatising, sharpish. Apologies to those of you here in the RM, but it pisses me off. I actually got an email today from Guitarist Magazine saying my subs issue may arrive late because of postal strikes.[/quote]
I am a postie. I can fully understand your pi**ed offness (that's good english init). I had occasion to give RM customer services - if that's not a contradiction in terms - a damn good blasting the other day for taking over 2 weeks to deliver a Recorded delivery. And my son is still waiting for his birthday card from my brother. It's a combination of some bone idle staff combined with brainless management - afraid a change of ownership won't change a thing there. Look at BA.

I'm not currently on strike and never have been. Last time there was a ballot I voted no. But I've got to say the way I and my colleagues have been treated over the last 12 months I don't know. My national strike ballot paper is sat on my desk and, well...........I'm still thinking on it.

Apologies for going off thread.

I'll probably end up buying BGM again this month, despite saying I wouldn't.

Edited by RichB