Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='611674' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:01 AM']Janek attributes "I Want You Back" to Jamerson, when everyone knows it was [s]Carol Kaye[/s] (sorry, on autopilot there) [b]Wilton Felder[/b].[/quote]

Don't worry he's been punished.... they got his web site URL wrong (in case you're wondering there's no www on the front)

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a Bass Player Magazine guide to tech and stuff from my local newsagent.

Review of effects, valve amps, a reprint of how a valve amp works, and a mass string test divide into types (Steel, Nickle, coated) with a tone guide, brief comment for each, street price (US that is) and a "feel" indication too.
I found it really useful as there are so many types and prices ..

Of course what I really want is a guide to strings that feel, sound and last like Elixirs but cost a third of the price ....

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='alexclaber' post='624830' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:36 AM']Does anyone think it's worth having my Barefaced cabs reviewed by BGM? I've contacted them a few times of late but they appear to be ignoring me...

Alex[/quote]
Of course it's worth it. Not sure if they are ignoring you completely givcen you had a news item in there a couple of months ago, but I'd like to see a review.

I would actually like to see some shoot-outs in there.

[quote name='OldGit' post='624460' date='Oct 12 2009, 09:51 PM']Picked up a Bass Player Magazine guide to tech and stuff from my local newsagent.

Review of effects, valve amps, a reprint of how a valve amp works, and a mass string test divide into types (Steel, Nickle, coated) with a tone guide, brief comment for each, street price (US that is) and a "feel" indication too.
I found it really useful as there are so many types and prices ..

Of course what I really want is a guide to strings that feel, sound and last like Elixirs but cost a third of the price ....[/quote]

It's an interesting issue, but that string guide is over three years old and has been published before.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='624830' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:36 AM']Does anyone think it's worth having my Barefaced cabs reviewed by BGM? I've contacted them a few times of late but they appear to be ignoring me...[/quote]
A positive review is just about the best form of sales promotion you can get, but because of limited space, magazines will always give precedence to their advertisers. If you were an advertiser they wouldn't ignore you. These are the sad facts of commercial life, I'm afraid. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying, of course. Come back gentleman journalist Gary Cooper and Music UK, I say.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='silddx' post='624834' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:40 AM']Not sure if they are ignoring you completely givcen you had a news item in there a couple of months ago, but I'd like to see a review.[/quote]

Yes, Nick was very keen to publish the news item but since then calls/emails have elicited zero response. I'm hoping that it's just due to a lack of time...

I'm a fan of shoot-outs too, especially if they're conducted appropriately.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='624840' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:49 AM']Yes, Nick was very keen to publish the news item but since then calls/emails have elicited zero response. I'm hoping that it's just due to a lack of time...

I'm a fan of shoot-outs too, especially if they're conducted appropriately.

Alex[/quote]
BTW, I remarked to a couple of people at the Bash how splendid your tight grille cloth looks :)

[quote name='silddx' post='624835' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:40 AM']It's an interesting issue, but that string guide is over three years old and has been published before.[/quote]

Ah... Some of the rest rang a bell ..
Still it's good to have stuff all in one mag.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='624830' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:36 AM']Does anyone think it's worth having my Barefaced cabs reviewed by BGM? I've contacted them a few times of late but they appear to be ignoring me...

Alex[/quote]

I'd suggest you first get your website sorted out with your new design and incorporating all the updates and changes suggested on here first.
When was that? 6 months ago?

You wouldn't want to waste all the resultant traffic with a relatively poor first impression.

The other thing to do is to create a section of brilliant images and stats and quotes and history for journo's to use.. like Ashdown do in their press area:

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/press/index.asp"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/press/index.asp[/url]

Makes it all a lot easier for the press and that is always a good idea.. All the HQ pictures are there to use in print, quotes, stats etc... I suspect that's one reason why Ashdown get reviewed so much ...

Edited by OldGit

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='624941' date='Oct 13 2009, 01:29 PM']I'd suggest you first get your website sorted out with your new design and incorporating all the updates and changes suggested on here first.
When was that? 6 months ago?

The other thing to do is to create a section of brilliant images and stats and quotes and history for journo's to use.. like Ashdown do in their press area[/quote]

Website has been swapped, just lots of editing and expanding for me to do now. Good idea about the press area, will put one of those together!

Alex

Just had a look at your new site Alex. Really nice. Holds all the essentials and info a customer needs in a very logical well laid out fashion. Suited me fine, as I dislike 'busy' sites - due to my innate laziness.

I'd definitely think a review would be great for your product.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='634775' date='Oct 23 2009, 07:21 PM']Website has been swapped, just lots of editing and expanding for me to do now. Good idea about the press area, will put one of those together!

Alex[/quote]
Ah, that's more like it, Alex! :)
Good job, bmd... :rolleyes:

I have been rather harsh of BGM in this thread, and rightly so (as it was quite awful).

I must say that the recent couple of issues have been much, much better. There seems to have been a total rethink of the magazine's ethos and staff moral - it is a far better read now than before. There is still a way to come, naturally, but it will never be perfect.

I would like to see a redesign of the final few pages, as it fizzles out (adverts) rather than leaving a can't-wait-for-the-next-issue feeling (final interview, tech article or something). Anyway, I shall be renewing my subscription when it is due if BGM keeps it up.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='634775' date='Oct 23 2009, 07:21 PM']Website has been swapped, just lots of editing and expanding for me to do now. Good idea about the press area, will put one of those together!

Alex[/quote]

Excellent!
Now go all out for publicity, reviews, inbound links from other bass places etc.
Tons of places out there to get a mention.
Good to see it moving, Alex
OG

Just had the post delivered, which in itself is amazing, and the latest BGM flopped onto the doormat. Oh dear :) . Richard Bona again, Chris Wolstenholme again, 4 x £1k(ish) upwards basses, one sub £300 (where's the middle ground?). Don't get me wrong I'm sure that Bona and Wolstenholme have their fans, but these guys seem to be on a permanent rota, surely there are enough other "name" players out there warranting some mag space. To be fair there is also an interview with Mark Bedford (hurrah!) and Horace Panter. Editing howler was in the Ed's letter no less referring to the London Jazz Festival details being on page 14, uh uh, page 12 as listed on the contents page. Some new guy attending the institute, so we start with another 12 months of the same "this month I have been mostly....." which we have seen a good few times before, enough already. Still my favourite bass mag and I will keep getting it on subscription, but after the few months of improvement this seems like a small backwards step for me at least, YMMV.

Edited by ezbass

Balls - that's not what we want to hear!

I hate to admit it...my first thought on reading "Richard Bona again, Chris Wolstenholme again [...] Mark Bedford (hurrah!) and Horace Panter" was "who?" - I honestly have no idea who any of them are. Wolstenholme and Bedford ring a bell, but if you put a gun to my head I still wouldn't be able to say who they are, played with or play for now.