Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

On page 73 of the January BGM there is an article about "Luna Guitars" and this special PBass 'copy' they have produced for Paz Lenchantin.
Yvonne de Villiers who owns the company tells us, " Alex Morgan was commisioned to create a gender-neutral paisley henna art design that was laser edged onto the cedar pickguard".
I'm 55 the day after next and have never once encountered gender specific designs in paisley henna art designs, it seems I have led a sheltered life.! But if anyone has an examples, I'm prepared to be shocked.....but aren't they just random swirls?

BTW, I think this has to be my weirdest post, ever!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='693241' date='Dec 24 2009, 11:37 PM']On page 73 of the January BGM there is an article about "Luna Guitars" and this special PBass 'copy' they have produced for Paz Lenchantin.[/quote]
Paz Lenchantin gives me the horn.
Merry Christmas.
:)

A little request to any BGM instrument reviewers that might be reading:

We don't need to be told that "the bridge has individual saddles that allow you to adjust string height and intonation". That is surely a given in this day and age, even on the cheapest basses. It would be wise and prudent to point out if that [b]isn't[/b] the case (like on a vintage bridge reissue), or if there's a particularly unusual way the saddles adjust (y'know... spin round three times, invoke the goddess Artemis and eat a caper before loosening a locking bolt). I'm sure there are other little cliched phrases throughout all the reviews, but that's the one that slaps me in the face.

Every time I see that little sentence (and I see it or something like it in a hell of a lot of the bass reviews in BGM), it makes it look like the reviewer's got a dog-eared "writing a review checklist" next to their computer. "Hmmm. Hardware... checklist item 1... [i]does the bridge have individual saddles that allow you to adjust string height and intonation?[/i] Why, yes it does! I'd better put that in."

I should point out that, although every month I come on here and point out a few of the glaring mistakes I've noticed, I like BGM a lot and it's improving every month. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='695462' date='Dec 29 2009, 11:03 AM']A little request to any BGM instrument reviewers that might be reading:

We don't need to be told that "the bridge has individual saddles that allow you to adjust string height and intonation". That is surely a given in this day and age, even on the cheapest basses. It would be wise and prudent to point out if that [b]isn't[/b] the case (like on a vintage bridge reissue), or if there's a particularly unusual way the saddles adjust (y'know... spin round three times, invoke the goddess Artemis and eat a caper before loosening a locking bolt). I'm sure there are other little cliched phrases throughout all the reviews, but that's the one that slaps me in the face.

Every time I see that little sentence (and I see it or something like it in a hell of a lot of the bass reviews in BGM), it makes it look like the reviewer's got a dog-eared "writing a review checklist" next to their computer. "Hmmm. Hardware... checklist item 1... [i]does the bridge have individual saddles that allow you to adjust string height and intonation?[/i] Why, yes it does! I'd better put that in."

I should point out that, although every month I come on here and point out a few of the glaring mistakes I've noticed, I like BGM a lot and it's improving every month. :)[/quote]
Well said and I agree with your final point too.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='695462' date='Dec 29 2009, 11:03 AM']A little request to any BGM instrument reviewers that might be reading:

--snip--

I should point out that, although every month I come on here and point out a few of the glaring mistakes I've noticed, I like BGM a lot and it's improving every month. :)[/quote]

+1

It's fairly safe to assume readers have some knowledge of the basic stuff, surely. There again when a reviewer can't count frets and describes a p pickup and a pair I guess it's not just the reader who needs a basic explaination ...

Two more little things I'd change about this magazine I keep saying I like :) :

1) For every bass reviewed, I'd like to see full-length shots of the front and back (and it's nice to have the full-page shot of the body like they usually do), and I'd like the other pictures to be of relevant bits of the instrument [b]without duplication[/b]. There have been a few times (although no specific examples spring to mind now) where the text has mentioned a point of particular aesthetic interest, but there's been no picture of that point, while there are three pictures of the neck laminates or something.

2) Captions. Sweet baby Jebus, this annoys the p*ss out of me. [b]So many[/b] of the pictures in BGM are uncaptioned. If there's a picture of a band without instruments (or even a group of bassists), more often than not there's no indication of who's who in the picture. I know it doesn't really make that much difference, but it'd be nice to put a name to a face.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='695520' date='Dec 29 2009, 12:09 PM']Two more little things I'd change about this magazine I keep saying I like :) :

1) For every bass reviewed, I'd like to see full-length shots of the front and back (and it's nice to have the full-page shot of the body like they usually do), and I'd like the other pictures to be of relevant bits of the instrument [b]without duplication[/b]. There have been a few times (although no specific examples spring to mind now) where the text has mentioned a point of particular aesthetic interest, but there's been no picture of that point, while there are three pictures of the neck laminates or something.

2) Captions. Sweet baby Jebus, this annoys the p*ss out of me. [b]So many[/b] of the pictures in BGM are uncaptioned. If there's a picture of a band without instruments (or even a group of bassists), more often than not there's no indication of who's who in the picture. I know it doesn't really make that much difference, but it'd be nice to put a name to a face.[/quote]

Again, agree completely, lack of captions to photographs, and no rear shots of basses gets on my nerves too.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='695727' date='Dec 29 2009, 05:06 PM']Saw current issue in WHSmith's in Leamington over a week ago. My subscription copy STILL hasn't been delivered.

Not impressed.

:)[/quote]

Mmm, I got my first subs copy just before Christmas, but no strings? I think i've missed out on the DRs, they have Rotosounds now which I detest with some passion.

• 2 weeks later...

My local motorway services have obviously tired of the subliminal joke because now Viz has replaced BGM on the top shelf at the end of the row of tits, and consequently Mr Zender is under the row of tits instead of being at the end of them.

Right. Here's a perfect example of my problem with the pictures in reviews. I recently had a look on the Yamaha website, and was surprised to discover that the BB2024X (the silly-expensive one) strings through the body [b]diagonally[/b]. [url="http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb2024x_bl/?mode=features"]Take a look[/url]. Now, I may have led a sheltered life, but I've never seen that before. Certainly not on a mass-produced bass. I think it's an interesting enough feature to warrant a picture in the BGM review, but no. Not even a mention in the text, IIRC.

I guess I'm adding nothing by pointing this out, but I'm in that sort of mood. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='710025' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:20 PM']Right. Here's a perfect example of my problem with the pictures in reviews. I recently had a look on the Yamaha website, and was surprised to discover that the BB2024X (the silly-expensive one) strings through the body [b]diagonally[/b]. [url="http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb2024x_bl/?mode=features"]Take a look[/url]. Now, I may have led a sheltered life, but I've never seen that before. Certainly not on a mass-produced bass. I think it's an interesting enough feature to warrant a picture in the BGM review, but no. Not even a mention in the text, IIRC.[/quote]

yeah totally agree with that - an interesting/unusual feature on a review bass that doesn't even get a mention! odd.

also think it was a bit cheeky having the brit-funk issue one month, followed by the zender issue the next month when surely they could have all gone in the one issue.

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='710041' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:30 PM']also think it was a bit cheeky having the brit-funk issue one month, followed by the zender issue the next month when surely they could have all gone in the one issue.[/quote]
Actually, for once, I didn't mind that. :) The interview (or at least the photoshoot) with Zender was clearly done at the same time as the Brit-funk feature, but they got enough material to separate it out over two issues.

I wouldn't have a problem with them running in-depth interviews with each of the players from the Brit-funk feature over the next few months. Next issue: Stefan Redtenbacher?

Hey y'all -

I won't bore you with tales of what went wrong, but I've now (a bit later than intended) got the latest Style file track on the site, as well as the backing tracks to download, should any of you feel like tackling it...

Ghetto Upgrade is a slice of staggered beat hip hop, featuring myself, Darren Ashford on drums and regular Janek Gwizdala cohort Oli Rockberger on keys. Some wicked playing from the chaps on this track...

[url="http://davemarks.com/?page_id=1193"]http://davemarks.com/?page_id=1193[/url]

d