Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='888229' date='Jul 7 2010, 11:31 AM']Just caught up with this - certainly an improvement from where we were last year![/quote]

The thing that really annoys me is the difference in quality compared to something like Guitarist. I presume that's down to budgets?

Edited by Jamesemt

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='904768' date='Jul 25 2010, 02:50 PM']Has anyone had their subscription copy? The interview with Randy Hope-Taylor, Winston Blissett, etc just cuts off before its natural end. :rolleyes:[/quote]
*Looks in his copy of BGM*
Woah, it does get cut off... :) Big mistake there

[quote name='SuperMaximo' post='904818' date='Jul 25 2010, 03:56 PM']*Looks in his copy of BGM*
Woah, it does get cut off... :) Big mistake there[/quote]
Got it yesterday and haven't read that interview yet.

There are all sorts of weird typesetting problems creeping back in.

[quote name='silddx' post='904827' date='Jul 25 2010, 04:04 PM']Got it yesterday and haven't read that interview yet.

There are all sorts of weird typesetting problems creeping back in.[/quote]

It like the infuriating thing Bass Player mag does, where you have to cut from page 31 to page 52. But without the signpost.

<not that Bass Player has that many pages these days>

• 4 weeks later...

I've got mine and have flicked through it and to be honest there's nothing that makes me go "I must read this now!" but it goes like that sometimes. However, I do wish they'd lose the blog from people doing the year course at whateverit'scallednow institute, the best one was the first one (she wrote some entertaining stuff), since then it's all been pretty repetitious, except for the interview of Paul Turner by the student at the time. Weekend Warriors should come back definitely. I still want to see interviews with Pino and Bruce Thomas too.

[quote name='ezbass' post='933392' date='Aug 23 2010, 10:01 AM']I've got mine and have flicked through it and to be honest there's nothing that makes me go "I must read this now!" but it goes like that sometimes. [b]However, I do wish they'd lose the blog from people doing the year course at whateverit'scallednow institute[/b], the best one was the first one (she wrote some entertaining stuff), since then it's all been pretty repetitious, except for the interview of Paul Turner by the student at the time. Weekend Warriors should come back definitely. I still want to see interviews with Pino and Bruce Thomas too.[/quote]
It completely unfair, and I don't really know why it should be, but I hate looking at that kid's face :) He has nothing interesting to say really either, it's more of an advert.

And I hate the format of the short interviews at the front. It's a load of bass players in bands I've never heard of telling me what gear they use, their influences and what they think the "secret" of good bass playing is. Why do I give a sh*t about any of that? "The secret of a good bass is to stick wiv da drums", "The secret of a good bass is to always do what the song needs", "The secret of a good bass is to play simply and don't be a cheeky monkey." What a load of sh*t.

I just got the one with Bootsy on the cover. And I'm bored with it already. I thought they were really getting somewhere but it seems to be going downhill again. I haven't seen any acknowledgement and addressal of the missing end of last month's RHT/WB/NM interview either.

Standards and content quality are slipping again I think.

[quote name='silddx' post='933431' date='Aug 23 2010, 10:43 AM']It completely unfair, and I don't really know why it should be, but I hate looking at that kid's face :) He has nothing interesting to say really either, it's more of an advert.

And I hate the format of the short interviews at the front. It's a load of bass players in bands I've never heard of telling me what gear they use, their influences and what they think the "secret" of good bass playing is. Why do I give a sh*t about any of that? "The secret of a good bass is to stick wiv da drums", "The secret of a good bass is to always do what the song needs", "The secret of a good bass is to play simply and don't be a cheeky monkey." What a load of sh*t.

I just got the one with Bootsy on the cover. And I'm bored with it already. I thought they were really getting somewhere but it seems to be going downhill again. I haven't seen any acknowledgement and addressal of the missing end of last month's RHT/WB/NM interview either.

Standards and content quality are slipping again I think.[/quote]
Er, what he said, face and all. I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription when it ends (which was a gift in the first place).

[quote name='silddx' post='933431' date='Aug 23 2010, 10:43 AM']And I hate the format of the short interviews at the front. It's a load of bass players in bands I've never heard of telling me what gear they use, their influences and what they think the "secret" of good bass playing is. Why do I give a sh*t about any of that? "The secret of a good bass is to stick wiv da drums", "The secret of a good bass is to always do what the song needs", "The secret of a good bass is to play simply and don't be a cheeky monkey." What a load of sh*t.[/quote]

I find that bit pointless really. It's always the same answers -"I only play a four string because I don't need a five in my band.I don't play slap.I mess about with it at home but don't have need to do it in the band.The secret of good bass playing is to just lock in with the drums'. 'The best bass player ever is Jaco/Flea/Claypool" That's pretty much all of them.
I agree about the lad on the scholarship too. I've not read anything of interest in those columns at all.

Just looked through my latest copy, got to agree, nothing that grabs me even though there is Bootsy and Stanley Clarke.

Just wondering if the format of a monthly magazine is now negated by forums such as these?

Would BGM be more valued, readable and relevant if Basschat and other forums didn't exist?

TBH now I just get it for the Competitions, years ago with the old Bassist Magazine I won a Crate Bass Combo and later a Laney Bass Combo too!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Tell you what I'm tired with is a lot of the contributions to this thread recently. BGM is a mag that has to cater for a wide range of players and genres. You can't please all of the people all of the time, as someone once said. If you are that unhappy with it do as some have done and go else where and stop whinging. I think they do a pretty good job. I don't read it from cover to cover but I can usually find enough to satisfy me.

There have been a lot of complaints about type setting and typos in the mag. Well quite frankly some of the contributers to this thread should check their own posts first before they criticise others.

Rant over. :)

[quote name='BassBus' post='933551' date='Aug 23 2010, 12:49 PM']Tell you what I'm tired with is a lot of the contributions to this thread recently. BGM is a mag that has to cater for a wide range of players and genres. You can't please all of the people all of the time, as someone once said. If you are that unhappy with it do as some have done and go else where and stop whinging. I think they do a pretty good job. I don't read it from cover to cover but I can usually find enough to satisfy me.

There have been a lot of complaints about type setting and typos in the mag. Well quite frankly some of the contributers to this thread should check their own posts first before they criticise others.

Rant over. :)[/quote]
You don't pay £3.95 to read this thread though do you mate.

Stanley Clarke's little arsenal on page 28... the three on the front row are without doubt the ugliest instruments I have ever seen in my life. They make Wishbasses look positively desirable. If I was Stan I'd keep them in a cupboard or something.
Having said that, I can't actually make basses myself, so perhaps I shouldn't criticise them... :)

[quote name='Rich' post='933574' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:04 PM']Stanley Clarke's little arsenal on page 28... the three on the front row are without doubt the ugliest instruments I have ever seen in my life. [b]They make Wishbasses look positively desirable.[/b] If I was Stan I'd keep them in a cupboard or something.
Having said that, I can't actually make basses myself, so perhaps I shouldn't criticise them... :rolleyes:[/quote]
:)

Hideous aren't they!