Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='BassBus' post='933551' date='Aug 23 2010, 12:49 PM']Tell you what I'm tired with is a lot of the contributions to this thread recently. BGM is a mag that has to cater for a wide range of players and genres. You can't please all of the people all of the time, as someone once said. If you are that unhappy with it do as some have done and go else where and stop whinging. I think they do a pretty good job. I don't read it from cover to cover but I can usually find enough to satisfy me.

There have been a lot of complaints about type setting and typos in the mag. Well quite frankly some of the contributers to this thread should check their own posts first before they criticise others.

Rant over. :)[/quote]

I bet you put "Clover" on your butties as well....!

Anyone got the brand new one in the last day or so? Mark @ BassDirect, Robbie @ RIM and Bernie @ GB have all told me the review of the TC BG500 amp I won is n there and I went to my usual place to buy a copy to be told they aren't stocking it anymore! Nottingham seems to be BGM void :-(

[quote name='BassBus' post='933551' date='Aug 23 2010, 12:49 PM']Tell you what I'm tired with is a lot of the contributions to this thread recently. BGM is a mag that has to cater for a wide range of players and genres. You can't please all of the people all of the time, as someone once said. If you are that unhappy with it do as some have done and go else where and stop whinging. I think they do a pretty good job. I don't read it from cover to cover but I can usually find enough to satisfy me.

There have been a lot of complaints about type setting and typos in the mag. Well quite frankly some of the contributers to this thread should check their own posts first before they criticise others.

Another thing, I don't know if you've read the entire thread but there has been a lot of positive and help stuff posted here too, which i might guess the guys at BGM have taken on board.

Of course there are niggles, and things they don't get right, but it's because of people like us, their audience, engaging them that allows them to continue to improve.

However, constant typos, missing text, inaccurate information, etc. need to be pointed out. I would not accept such errors or poor quality control in a new car, or a toaster, or a pair of new shoes, and neither should you. That said, it seems people are happy to accept such issues in a Fender bass :rolleyes: But I play Warwicks.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='933633' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:39 PM']Anyone got the brand new one in the last day or so? Mark @ BassDirect, Robbie @ RIM and Bernie @ GB have all told me the review of the TC BG500 amp I won is n there and I went to my usual place to buy a copy to be told they aren't stocking it anymore! Nottingham seems to be BGM void :-([/quote]
Yep, you get a whole page to yourself. :)

Edited by velvetkevorkian

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='933633' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:39 PM']Anyone got the brand new one in the last day or so? Mark @ BassDirect, Robbie @ RIM and Bernie @ GB have all told me the review of the TC BG500 amp I won is n there and I went to my usual place to buy a copy to be told they aren't stocking it anymore! Nottingham seems to be BGM void :-([/quote]
Ahh, is that you in that messy room with the cables running behind the radiator? :)

You know what? I strongly suspect if you give it a little consideration, you'll appreciate that a pretty good representation of the magazine's readership is right here.

Complaining about it.

Jon.

To be honest, the content is fine with me for the most part- as you say, they can't please everyone all the time- but some of the issues are basic competencies for publishing a magazine, I would have thought.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='933642' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:45 PM']Yep, you get a whole page to yourself. :)[/quote]

Crikey! I was expecting the text I sent to be edited down to about 50 words in the corner of a page!

[quote name='silddx' post='933645' date='Aug 23 2010, 01:47 PM']Ahh, is that you in that messy room with the cables running behind the radiator? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah… but the radiators broken so it's fine! The room is a drum teachers studio. There are 3 kits set up and another 3 on the shelves. The room is bloody tiny! Thankfully we are just a 2 piece though so can get away with rehearsing in it!

Hopefully I can hunt a copy of the Mag down this week!

I want to like it, especially as my good mate Mike Brooks writes for it...but each time I browse it in *insert newsagent of your choice* I find little or nothing to interest me. I think that is partly due to my older, more retro tastes and partly due to it being made almost irrelevant by onlike forums like this...

I also have no interest in the ramblings of some indie nobody who once played the Pig & Whistle.... or some bloke from a 'churn them out to all sound the same' bass school...

Totally off topic....

Gary, you have no idea what an influence you were on me as a 14 year old taking up bass at school, sat in the audience at a House Music Competition and saying to my dad " that's what I want to do for a living..." ....... and as he constantly reminds me "I need to have a word with him, it's all his fault!"

Only joking! Just happy to have caught up with you after the 'wilderness' years.

Mike

[quote name='Mike Brooks' post='933842' date='Aug 23 2010, 04:29 PM']Totally off topic....

Gary, you have no idea what an influence you were on me as a 14 year old taking up bass at school, sat in the audience at a House Music Competition and saying to my dad " that's what I want to do for a living..." ....... and as he constantly reminds me "I need to have a word with him, it's all his fault!"

Only joking! Just happy to have caught up with you after the 'wilderness' years.

Mike[/quote]
Aww, that's nice :)

I really want to like it but most of it is full of people I haven`t heard of, reviews of expensive botique basses I could never afford and pages full of musical notation which I know sod all about and am not intrested in learning. Even the reviews of gear I might be intrested in/could afford usually gets printed months after it comes out. By that time, GAS has gone!

I think that Guitar and Bass magazine is a much better buy. Having said that, I do buy BGM every so often. Then I read it and remember why I don`t buy it all the time. But it`s a true saying, you can`t please all of the people all of the time.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='BassBus' post='933987' date='Aug 23 2010, 06:21 PM']There was always a time when someone like Nick Beggs was a nobody. While most of them will disappear into the wilderness I'm sure one or two of these nobodys will become somebody some day.[/quote]
What do you like about the "nobody" bits? I'm a nobody, you are a nobody, we have a forum of 11,000 nobodies right here, for free. And we very much enjoy engaging and enraging each other. I don't want to see [b]your [/b]bass secrets in a magazine that costs me £3.95 every month. I want to see Scott Thunes' bass secrets, Danny Thompson's bass secrets, Patrick O'Hearn's bass secrets. Not [b]your[/b] bass secrets. I can get them on here for nothing, and also find out what your favourite training shoe brand is, or how many coats of primer you put on your window sills, if I ask politely.

We have, this month, some extraordinary bass secrets from some nobodies who are now BGM somebodies ..

[i]"The most important thing about a bassline is that it fits the song and provides that solid foundation."

"The secret of playing bass well is focus and keeping the beat. Bass is essentially a rhythm instrument as well as the backbone of the melody."

"I think the secret of good bass playing is to get a grip of the fundamentals first and stay as tight as possible with your drummer."

"The secret of playing bass well is .. other players. Listening. Deftness of touch. Learning to love the long notes but not forgetting the intricacies of the the groove."

"The secret of playing bass is being at one with the instrument. Onstage you are not playing the bass - it's playing you. My first bass was a strip of plywood."[/i]

Bear in mind these are the most "interesting" parts of [i]"Bassists tell us what they do in a minute or less!"[/i], even more "interesting" than the photographs.

Now, do you really want two pages of this in your magazine? Are you educated or entertained by it? If you had a child who was learning to play bass would you be happy for them to read it?

I personally like BGM. This month had two good interviews with my heroes, Stanley and Bootsy, and I like the new Stefan funk feature.

Apart from Guitar And Bass mag, which seems to feature less and less bass each time, there's no other mags to buy except Bass Player.

Overall, I think the guys do a great job of trying to please everyone.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='934041' date='Aug 23 2010, 07:11 PM']I personally like BGM. This month had two good interviews with my heroes, Stanley and Bootsy, and I like the new Stefan funk feature.

Apart from Guitar And Bass mag, which seems to feature less and less bass each time, there's no other mags to buy except Bass Player.

Overall, I think the guys do a great job of trying to please everyone.[/quote]
They are clearly getting better, and don't do a bad job at all, but the all too frequent typos and typesetting errors are really annoying and they should have that fully sorted by now. Some of the editorial is less than compelling too.

[quote name='BassBus' post='933987' date='Aug 23 2010, 06:21 PM']There was always a time when someone like Nick Beggs was a nobody. While most of them will disappear into the wilderness I'm sure one or two of these nobodys will become somebody some day.[/quote]

Bassbus. If you are reffering to my post, I would like to clarify my musings.

I never said that they were nobody`s, I said that I hadn`t heard of them which is a different thing. They may be well know to people who like their style of music but I am not aware of them.

The defence rests M`Laud.

Jez

Pete

Guitar and bass this month.

Vintage Private Collections-Peter Hook and John Illsley.
Review of a TC Electronics combo
Review of a Sadowsky MV4
Interview with Ted Turner and Randy Bachman of BTO
Interview with Verdine White of Earth , wind and fire
Review of Fender Bass manual
Bit about Paul Paul Jones Manson Bass
Bass techniques workshop with Steve Priest of Sweet

And an advert for Adam Clayton`s Reverso bass :wacko: . And some stuff about six strings. No bad.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='934207' date='Aug 23 2010, 09:47 PM']Guitar and bass this month.
Interview with Ted Turner and Randy Bachman of BTO[/quote]
Call me Mr Picky but I believe that's Fred Turner of BTO. Ted Turner being of Wishbone Ash. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='933431' date='Aug 23 2010, 09:43 AM']I haven't seen any acknowledgement and addressal of the missing end of last month's RHT/WB/NM interview either.

Standards and content quality are slipping again I think.[/quote]

yeah the end of that interview being missing annoyed me as it was, i thought, one of the most interesting things in the mag for a long time.

also totally agree about the monthly column from the bass institute (or whatever) student and the 2 pages of brief interviews with the 'nobodies' are kinda pointless as they are all pretty much the same. i remember reading one a while back who (i think genuinel)y said he hadn't even got an amp because he couldn't afford one!! hardly the kind of bassist to be taking tips and advice from?

i do still prefer a 'hard copy' magazine over an internet forum though.

peace

c

[quote name='Stingray5' post='934301' date='Aug 23 2010, 11:21 PM']Call me Mr Picky but I believe that's Fred Turner of BTO. Ted Turner being of Wishbone Ash. :)[/quote]

Nah, you are quite correct Mr Picky!! I`m away to stick my gon*ds in a vice!!

Making mistakes like that, do you think I could get a job on the magazine? :rolleyes:

Jez

[quote name='Clarky' post='934117' date='Aug 23 2010, 08:11 PM']Hey, I (sort of) made the cover of BGM![/quote]
I'll congratulate you Clarky, if others won't. Well done mate. I suppose I'll have to buy it now, grrrrr :) :rolleyes: :lol:

On a different note, (ooh pun) it is a little ironic that we have Basschat, which you've got to say it very succesfull, yet no real popular online guitar equivalent. Yet BGM struggles to get a bigger profile. By that I mean when I walk into the major supermarkets say, I can pick up maybe 3 or 4 guitar mags but can't find BGM anywhere. Just the ramblings of a miserable robot :o