Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='Doddy' post='642547' date='Nov 1 2009, 03:29 PM']And about 15 years too late?[/quote]

Re Zender Warwick.

It wasn`t so long ago he thought the sun shined out of his Gibson les paul bass.

And yes, it is overpriced and damm ugly, imo. :)

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='642576' date='Nov 1 2009, 04:02 PM']Re Zender Warwick.

It wasn`t so long ago he thought the sun shined out of his Gibson les paul bass.

And yes, it is overpriced and damm ugly, imo. :)

Jez[/quote]
If he's not careful , he's going to end up like Nathan East .

I've lost count of the amount of basses , EUB's , strings , DI's , effects , that blokes endorses . I wonder how he plays them all :rolleyes:

[quote name='Doddy' post='642956' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:55 PM']In all fairness,Nathan East has been endorsing Yamaha basses since
about '81[/quote]
I realise this , it's just the other stuff .

The EUB's have been - Clevinger , then NS , now Yamaha .
The amps have been - Eden , now Aggie .
DI's , and pedals - can't remember names , but I remember a fair few .
Strings - Elites , now Dunlop .

Rocca Prestia's going the same way - SWR to Eden to TC - all in a few years .

The point I'm making is that , it sort of makes me laugh that they think we're buying into it .

Though some obviously do - but they still seem to sound the same .

Hey guys -

Sod's law. I worked really hard over the last few weeks to get the backing track for Skattershot ready and wouldn't you know, after getting them up on deadline last monday.. my site gets a massive bug and crashes.

For those of you who'd like to get hold of the audio files, just click on this link and you can download the full track and a backing track for only £1!

[url="http://store.payloadz.com/detail_html.asp?Id=760719"]http://store.payloadz.com/detail_html.asp?Id=760719[/url]

I'm working hard to get the site back up and when it does, I'll have the transcription of the bass solo, along with a video lesson to teach you the parts to the song.

Let me know what you think of this new format for style files and also, if you like the tune...

d

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='642418' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:35 AM']BGM's got a lot better looking recently but it's still an un-inspiring read and lacking a bit, editorially. They need to get away from doing long drawn out Q+As with players people have never heard of/care about and work up some better editorial features. It needs a bit of attitude in the writing too; a sense of humour, a sense of fun. It still feels a bit cut and paste - esp the news section. The reviews also need a bit of edge to them, it's boring to read 10 paragraphs listing the features on a bass, when I can see what it does by looking at the picture. Tell me if it's any good, if you took it to a gig and got laughed at or got compliments on it, show me how it fits in the back of a hatchback (or doesn't) etc etc. Take a look at What Car - it's a good example of how to make something samey (new car reviews) sound interesting every month.[/quote]

Very good post. I like BGM, and it has certainly got better over recent issues, but it still lacks a certain something.

[quote name='simon1964' post='644394' date='Nov 3 2009, 02:05 PM']Very good post. I like BGM, and it has certainly got better over recent issues, but it still lacks a certain something.[/quote]
Nice to see so many more basses being reviewed though. That maybe demonstrates the manufacturers might be taking BGM more seriously.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='642418' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:35 AM']They need to get away from doing long drawn out Q+As with players people have never heard of/care about[/quote]
To be honest, I'd far rather read i/views with lesser known players than yet another bloody article on [i]*insert name of v.famous bassist here*[/i]. Dave Swift is a case in point -- most people have probably never heard of him, but his interview in BGM is one of the best they've ever had.
Just my 2p.

[quote name='Rich' post='644832' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:04 PM']To be honest, I'd far rather read i/views with lesser known players than yet another bloody article on [i]*insert name of v.famous bassist here*[/i]. Dave Swift is a case in point -- most people have probably never heard of him, but his interview in BGM is one of the best they've ever had.
Just my 2p.[/quote]
Completely agree.

Seems odd to interview / feature a relatively unknown USA based luthier when we have enough UK bass makers to fill that slot for about 5 years

I appreciate it ties in nicely with the Richard Bona interview but it still seems like an odd thing.

Was it a condition of getting the Bona interview, maybe?

[quote name='Rich' post='644832' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:04 PM']To be honest, I'd far rather read i/views with lesser known players than yet another bloody article on [i]*insert name of v.famous bassist here*[/i]. Dave Swift is a case in point -- most people have probably never heard of him, but his interview in BGM is one of the best they've ever had.
Just my 2p.[/quote]

I have always bought BGM even through the bad months because I like supporting a British magazine and I wouldn't want to lose it. I think the content is getting so much better and the interviews more interesting, I just really like where the magazine is going at the moment.

I do agree with the above comment about some slightly lesser known players though. It would be nice to read a few more articles like the Dave Swift feature but with say Lawrence Cottle, or Phil Mulford (have they been interviewed before?) who are more "behind the scenes" players. I would even like to read a good interview with Dave Marks, I have been watching his youtube channel and really like his attitude and approach.

I have to admit though, I would love to see an interview with Pino unless I managed to miss that issue, and he is a real big name I guess :)

I bought it today (first time in a while) and thought it was an improvement. Enjoyed the Horace Panter / Bedders interviews, and whilst there's a fair bit in there that didn't interest me, I recognise that you're not going to please all the people all the time, so will more likely go back to being a regular reader again. Funnily enough, with the downloadable MP3's, I actually paid attention to the tuition section at the end of the mag, which is a first.

As the previous posted said, it's the only UK bass mag, so it needs supporting.

I can remember when the only bass magazine you could buy was American. It was full of issues and articles that where irrelevant to me as an English/ British bassist. I bought the guitarist magazines for the one or two pages of bass trivia!
If you think BGM is not worth supporting then that is your choice you are under no obligation to buy it, but when it's no longer there I'm sure there will be tread after thread on these pages bemoaning the lack of a magazine that relates to us IMHO. People will be people and find interest in different things/ issues (thankfully) so not everybodys taste will be catered for. Buy it and get what you can from it!!

[quote name='ali63' post='646715' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:30 PM']I can remember when the only bass magazine you could buy was American. It was full of issues and articles that where irrelevant to me as an English/ British bassist. I bought the guitarist magazines for the one or two pages of bass trivia!
If you think BGM is not worth supporting then that is your choice you are under no obligation to buy it, but when it's no longer there I'm sure there will be tread after thread on these pages bemoaning the lack of a magazine that relates to us IMHO. People will be people and find interest in different things/ issues (thankfully) so not everybodys taste will be catered for. Buy it and get what you can from it!![/quote]
+1

In the midst all my webcrashing drama... I've uploaded the track Style File track to my myspace:

www.myspace.com/davemarks

feel free to pop along, have a listen and if you like the track, you know where to pick the files up....

I've also just posted a series of lessons showing you in detail how I played the parts on the tune.

www.youtube.com/davemarks

Bass solo transcription coming soon....

d

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='642418' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:35 AM']BGM's got a lot better looking recently but it's still an un-inspiring read and lacking a bit, editorially. They need to get away from doing long drawn out Q+As with players people have never heard of/care about and work up some better editorial features. It needs a bit of attitude in the writing too; a sense of humour, a sense of fun. It still feels a bit cut and paste - esp the news section. The reviews also need a bit of edge to them, it's boring to read 10 paragraphs listing the features on a bass, when I can see what it does by looking at the picture. Tell me if it's any good, if you took it to a gig and got laughed at or got compliments on it, show me how it fits in the back of a hatchback (or doesn't) etc etc. Take a look at What Car - it's a good example of how to make something samey (new car reviews) sound interesting every month.[/quote]

Have to agree with all of this.... though I'd like to support a good Bass magazine I just don't find BGM inspiring enough to purchase (for all the above reaons...)

• 4 weeks later...
:) [quote name='Geek99' post='668967' date='Nov 29 2009, 10:57 AM']has anyone with a subscription seen their copy yet? Mine didnt turn up.[/quote]

No I haven't seen mine yet.

Funny thing is, I was in the Bass Gallery in Camden on Friday and I'm sure they had the December issue in there (a pile of them), yet if you look on the BGM website today, the latest issue is published as the November one.

Worth a phone call tomorrow ......