Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='BigRedX' post='552432' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:58 AM']It's been running for years IIRC.[/quote]

Coupla years at least. I seem to recall it involves something like starting at 8, finishing at 7, working Saturdays - and 6 months or so in Germany for training!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='551027' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:12 PM']New issue through the door today. Had a quick flick through before leaving the house this morning... some cheaper gear on review, and some BCers mentioned/interviewed (step forward Jimi and Jase!). :)[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='551053' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:51 PM']I was in WHS last night, no new issue.

Great Jase is in there! I've got the Godsticks EP, Iplay it all the time, it's brilliant. They were in Guitarist Magazine a couple of months ago too.[/quote]

Cheers lads! I'm chuffed as a bean :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. I was reading the review of the Hartke combo in this month's issue, and I got the niggling feeling I was missing something. Some crucial piece of information that might help me put the whole thing into some sort of perspective. Couldn't quite put my finger on it... and then I realise. [b]How big's the speaker?[/b] Seriously, I've looked through the article five times and I can't find it anywhere. When I look at an amp setup, I want to know two things first: how powerful it is, and what the speakers are. I can't be alone in this. For me, in the parlance of the interwebs, this is a "review fail".

This doesn't take away from the improvements we've seen over recent months. Keep it up, guys.

The magazine's improved ten-fold in the last couple of issues.

Whole editorial needs more edge though and needs to feel much more newsy. They need to be more circumspect about stuff (esp, reviews), rather than just treat everything equally. It sometimes reads like a brochure; whereas it needs to have an identity and sense of humour. Simply being Britain's only bass mag is not enough.

On the plus, layout and art direction is big improvement.

[quote name='Mike' post='550053' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:16 PM']File not found Dave - any thoughts? Tried to save but only 2.2kb![/quote]

Epic fail on my behalf there.

I have had to start using public folder on my iDisk as the security on my website is so super good, it won't let people download reasonably small files (3 - 5mb!!!)

Have another blast later this evening (pages aren't refreshing instantly for some reason...) and let me know if it works now. I'll be wrapping up this little series in the next issue.

[url="http://s63821.gridserver.com/?page_id=591"]http://s63821.gridserver.com/?page_id=591[/url]

On another note, I'm shooting my first DVDs in August...

I'm interested in what kind of things people would like to be able to buy DVDs on...

I'm thinking 01 - A solid approach to bass techinque: Exploring hand and body positioning, finger technique and exercises to build robust, solid fundamentals for fingerstyle, pick and slap playing.

02 - The minor pentatonic in 5 positions for bass guitar - an approach to the fingerboard that will revolutionise how you play, regardless of style.

Any thoughts?

d

Edited by Davemarks

[quote name='Davemarks' post='554235' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:03 PM']I'm interested in what kind of things people would like to be able to buy DVDs on...

I'm thinking 01 - A solid approach to bass techinque: Exploring hand and body positioning, finger technique and exercises to build robust, solid fundamentals for fingerstyle, pick and slap playing.

02 - The minor pentatonic in 5 positions for bass guitar - an approach to the fingerboard that will revolutionise how you play, regardless of style.

Any thoughts?

d[/quote]

i don't know anything about this sort of stuff, but if you're doing the 5 minor pentatonic positions maybe you could build on that and talk about the different modes? its the same sort of thing, the same scale, in a different position, started at a different note, just a more complex scale and more positions. just an idea.

[quote name='Davemarks' post='554235' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:03 PM']02 - The minor pentatonic in 5 positions for bass guitar - an approach to the fingerboard that will revolutionise how you play, regardless of style.[/quote]

Hello Dave

I like the sound of the above, but I'm often a bit dubious about such claims. For instance, what if I already approach my fingerboard in that way? Who are these DVDs aimed at? I get the impression between beginner and intermediate, whatever intermediate is.

Just started reading the almost-latest issue. Went to the local motorway services to get it (for some reason they're a very reliable stockist), couldn't see it on the normal shelves, looked up at the top shelf, saw a row of tits and on the end was Janek. Wish they wouldn't put it up there, it's a bit embarrassing. Haven't got very far into it yet, more later...

[quote name='Davemarks' post='554235' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:03 PM']Epic fail on my behalf there.

I have had to start using public folder on my iDisk as the security on my website is so super good, it won't let people download reasonably small files (3 - 5mb!!!)

Have another blast later this evening (pages aren't refreshing instantly for some reason...) and let me know if it works now. I'll be wrapping up this little series in the next issue.

[url="http://s63821.gridserver.com/?page_id=591"]http://s63821.gridserver.com/?page_id=591[/url]

On another note, I'm shooting my first DVDs in August...

I'm interested in what kind of things people would like to be able to buy DVDs on...

Any thoughts?

d[/quote]

Hi Dave.
It's a good idea.
Major pent as well would be good.
Box work etc.
Just a though as i dont know enough myself yet!
Cheers
Matt

[quote name='tauzero' post='554814' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:49 AM']Just started reading the almost-latest issue. Went to the local motorway services to get it (for some reason they're a very reliable stockist), couldn't see it on the normal shelves, looked up at the top shelf, saw a row of tits and on the end was Janek. Wish they wouldn't put it up there, it's a bit embarrassing. Haven't got very far into it yet, more later...[/quote]

Can we stop having a pop at BGM contributors please.

Thank You

[quote name='tauzero' post='554814' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:49 AM']Just started reading the almost-latest issue. Went to the local motorway services to get it (for some reason they're a very reliable stockist), couldn't see it on the normal shelves, looked up at the top shelf, saw a row of tits and on the end was Janek. Wish they wouldn't put it up there, it's a bit embarrassing. Haven't got very far into it yet, more later...[/quote]

I didn't know he was a slapper

[quote name='Johngh' post='555733' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:12 PM']Can we stop having a pop at BGM contributors please.

Thank You[/quote]
Janek says he contributes to BGM for free. It takes time to put together an article like he and the others do.
I'm more than happy to read what he has to say on-topic, whatever his personailty off the page.

[quote name='Geek99' post='555910' date='Jul 30 2009, 10:03 AM']Janek says he contributes to BGM for free. It takes time to put together an article like he and the others do.
I'm more than happy to read what he has to say on-topic, whatever his personailty off the page.[/quote]

+1

Me too.

I don't have a problem with what JG says, it nice to hear some proper opinion based on so much knowledge and experience, whether you agree or not. Better that than some of the wishy washy crap some musicians spout. John Myung being a prime example, for instance.

[quote name='silddx' post='556061' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:17 PM']I don't have a problem with what JG says, it nice to hear some proper opinion based on so much knowledge and experience, whether you agree or not. Better that than some of the wishy washy crap some musicians spout. John Myung being a prime example, for instance.[/quote]
+1
And better than some of the laughable neo-con balderdash some manufacturers spout. Hartley Peavey being a prime example, for instance.
Remember his Brazilian rainforest rant? I still chuckle over that one. :)

Just got the latest copy, it hit WH Smith today.

Looking forward to reading the interviews with our Jase, and Jimi, and Claypool, I want to see haow that one compares to the very good one in BP a couple of years ago.

Seems to be a ROCK issue this month, last month's was a JAZZ issue.

[quote name='silddx' post='556061' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:17 PM']Me too.

I don't have a problem with what JG says, it nice to hear some proper opinion based on so much knowledge and experience, whether you agree or not. Better that than some of the wishy washy crap some musicians spout. John Myung being a prime example, for instance.[/quote]
I don't mean that precisely. All I mean is, and its very selfinterested really is that I don't mind
how arrogant or not his opinions or manner are, if I can learn something I will listen on this
topic - he knows way more than I do and spreads his knowledge for free.
If I was paying for his tuition, I would take a different view..
Its not like I have to spend xmas with him. I should stress that I didn't see the
flame war that went on here so make no comment on what was said and by whom.

[quote name='Geek99' post='556251' date='Jul 30 2009, 03:39 PM']I don't mean that precisely. All I mean is, and its very selfinterested really is that I don't mind
how arrogant or not his opinions or manner are, if I can learn something I will listen on this
topic - he knows way more than I do and spreads his knowledge for free.[/quote]
Er, yeah I know :)

[quote name='Davemarks' post='554235' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:03 PM']02 - The minor pentatonic in 5 positions for bass guitar - an approach to the fingerboard that will revolutionise how you play, regardless of style.[/quote]
There was quite a good DVD by a guitarist (I for the life of me can't remember his name) who showed this concept and how to connect them fluidly using all positions and restricting the number of strings you use to learn the whole neck. It was quite a good good quick way to learn to play a few things and it did help you learn the notes, but I still felt that it limited itself to pattern playing. Which in itself isn't exactly a bad thing when learning I suppose, but just to make people aware that isn't the be all and end all as I have seen a lot of people get stuck just playing the same patterns and shapes when they have only learnt using the "box" method. The best thing about the DVD i saw were the exercises for connecting the "boxes".

[quote name='Rich' post='556065' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:25 PM']+1
And better than some of the laughable neo-con balderdash some manufacturers spout. Hartley Peavey being a prime example, for instance.
Remember his Brazilian rainforest rant? I still chuckle over that one. :)[/quote]

"I've flown over the Brazillian rainforest. It's still green. There's clearly no problem." yeah, Laughable.