Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='Wil' post='534780' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:23 PM']Yes, I called you patronising due to the particularly insidious way you belittle other members in order to make a point.[/quote]

Yes, I do occasionally "answer back" people who make personal and aggressive personal attacks. And normally it is to the "usual culprits"

[quote]I stand by it, as even in that post you've implied that anyone with a conflicting opinion must be of inferior talent![/quote]

No I didn't. Re-read the posts. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='534796' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:31 PM']Can these discussions be done by PMs?[/quote]

Sorry you have had to suffer my posts and opinions. But I feel that the contra-reasoning had to be thrown in for balance.

[quote name='Jase' post='534686' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:05 PM']Isn't suited? What, like he doesn't fit? Doesn't go along with the bullshit that so often piles up on here? Didn't realise you have to "suit" an internet forum.[/quote]

You don't HAVE to suit an internet forum, but you do have to be able to take posts and posters with a pinch of salt, as well as be able to ignore them if needs be, and take on board sensible comments where needs be.

Janek wasn't being arrogant at all IMHO.

I really don't see these discussions as bun fights, they are perfectly valid as part of this discussion in my opinion. This is a "discussion" forum.

Argumentative PMs between members add nothing and only serve to alienate those members. Additionally, other members are not witnesses to the argument and therefore not able to present alternative argument or reason in order to level any issues.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='534781' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:23 PM']I thought this thread was about BGM?

I've sent two Swiss guides and a St Bernard to find this buried topic.[/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol: :D ;) BRILLIANT!

[quote name='rslaing' post='534812' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:40 PM']So to get back on topic:- :)

If BGM is so bad, why buy it?[/quote]

Because it is not like bread. There's little choice or variety out there so we are disappointed, even angry, if an opportunity to serve the UK bass-playing public is squandered with lack of vision, poor quality and lack of substance. Some of us still bought it because of its relevance rather than its quality.

It's a small market with not a lot of competition, and when the guitar mags do a better job of reviewing basses and bass equipment, we get a bit pissed off when our only alternative was like Bassist's Friend, Bassist's Digest, Bass & Boon.

They've come a long long way since I started this thread and I really believe some of the contributions on here by various BCers made a difference.

[quote name='gwizmon' post='530190' date='Jul 2 2009, 07:21 AM']There are of course differences between a $200 mexican P-Bass, and a $10,000 Fodera. It's like the stradivarius of bass guitars, made by the single greatest luthier that's ever lived. That's a pretty bold statement I know, but it really is the reality of the situation. The kind of wood, the attention to detail, and the hundreds of meticulous man hours that go into making their instruments really do make them worth the money and the wait.[/quote]
This is one persons purely subjective opinion being stated as "really being the reality of the situation"
I'd call that pretty arrogant, maybe others wouldn't. I guess "arrogance" is subjective too, maybe it's "self confidence" or something.

[quote name='silddx' post='534748' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:04 PM']What are your views on the negative responses, on here, to this perceived arrogance?[/quote]
I honestly don't think any of the responses were extreme, some people disagreed with some things he said and called him on them, as they would with anyone posting. In the short time I've been posting here I've seen far worse exchanges.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='534807' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:39 PM']You don't HAVE to suit an internet forum, but you do have to be able to take posts and posters with a pinch of salt, as well as be able to ignore them if needs be, and take on board sensible comments where needs be.

Janek wasn't being arrogant at all IMHO.[/quote]

no, I don't think he was being arrogant either. Sometimes it does appear that certain people take the piss when Janek shows up.

I enjoyed the exercise on non-tertial triads, it did make me think differently about writing basslines and chord tensions. When I was playing the exercises. I found myself wanting to go into throwing thirds in but this did make me think and playing it in differnt positions gets you to know your fingerboard better.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='534900' date='Jul 7 2009, 04:51 PM']I enjoyed the exercise on non-tertial triads, it did make me think differently about writing basslines and chord tensions. When I was playing the exercises. I found myself wanting to go into throwing thirds in but this did make me think and playing it in differnt positions gets you to know your fingerboard better.[/quote]Now, playing them backwards was a different matter. :)

[quote name='RhysP' post='534849' date='Jul 7 2009, 04:14 PM']This is one persons purely subjective opinion being stated as "really being the reality of the situation"
I'd call that pretty arrogant, maybe others wouldn't. I guess "arrogance" is subjective too, maybe it's "self confidence" or something.[/quote]

As I said previously, I disagree with some of the things he says, this being one of them. This is a personal opinion, not fact. It's like saying Person X is the best painter who has ever lived (and yes I did study Fine Art and art history). There is no such thing. I think when someone makes such a statement they are asking to be challenged, and I have no problem with that. However I'm still interested to hear what he says as he's a very experienced, skillful and knowledgeable musician and bassist . I do agree he should maybe lighten up a little, take some of the comments with a pinch of salt, but sometimes that's difficult as I've found out in the past.

Having said all that, I still think Beefy's critique of Jeff's trainers is one of the funniest things I've ever read, anywhere, anytime. But as an Adidas Classics man, I would. :)

Anyway, back to the mag....

Edited by 4000

[quote name='steve-soar' post='535153' date='Jul 7 2009, 09:35 PM']Always been a Forest Hills, Trim Trab, or Lendell Pro man myself, maybe Galaxy.
Adidas trainers were total works of art.[/quote]

SL72s, 76s, Dragon, Jeans, Rom, Athen and a few others for me. And FWIW, you're right about Ed Moses. :)

Just sat and read all the posts, 25 pages!!!! Some of the comments are proof that care in the comunity just ain`t working. It would drive you to drink! Back on subject.....

I buy guitarist and guitar and bass magazine. I find these mags have good reviews, interviews and stuff like vintage guitars, how to pimp your axe and rebuilds. If BGM could nick a few ideas from them I think that it would be a much better mag. Too much emphasis on high end gear.

I think that we should give it some time and hopefully the guys and gals working on it will get it right.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='535264' date='Jul 7 2009, 10:59 PM']I think that we should give it some time and hopefully the guys and gals working on it will get it right.

Jez[/quote]

the mag has been going for a few years now, how much more time do they need? They have a captive audience, things should already be as right as they can be.

And I don't care if the Guardian has spelling mistakes and typo's too, that doesn't mean it's ok for BGM to have them.