Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='cheddatom' post='546186' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:22 AM']Still, better than a group of 12 year olds watching a rated R film, no?[/quote]

Aye... I guess... that's what we appeared to have.

Mind you, the 12 year olds would probably disagree with you there. They would defo be interested in a R rated film instead of the sanatised version.

As an aside, have you noticed how bad the editing in Debbie does Dallas is? What, did they only shoot 30 seconds of footage and keep reusing it? Again. And Again. And Again ad nauseum....

Anyway, when's the next issue out?

[quote name='yituool' post='546165' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:08 AM']Ever get the feeling you are wasting your life?

Are you by any chance someone with crushed dreams of a career in writing? Is that why you feel the need to spend large amounts of your free time lashing out at established journalists and writers with worn out cliches, over petty issues. Disliking a magazine is one thing, but spending this much time moaning over niggles is another. You know you could just not buy the magazine...

People like you who use your 'wit' to act upon petty, meaningless issues like this are the ones putting internet debates in a bad light. The media owes you nothing. If you think you are above the writers in the magazine, why don't you put your apparent skills to better use?

Aaaaanyway, Bass Guitar Magazine may be a bit too brown nosed, but it's better than nothing.[/quote]

I do write as part of my work, no crushed dreams there, I like writing but I wouldn't want to earn a living at it. I'm a musician which is where my dreams lie, I'm in three gorgeous bands, what more do I want? Apart from having interesting and informative chat/debate/argument on here of course.

Finally, I'm sorry mate, but "better than nothing" is not the sort of philosophy I can tolerate. If you're going to do something, do it f*****g properly, or not at all. "better than nothing" is a disease. It is not something to aspire to.

[quote name='silddx' post='546219' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:35 AM']Finally, I'm sorry mate, but "better than nothing" is not the sort of philosophy I can tolerate. If you're going to do something, do it f*****g properly, or not at all. "better than nothing" is a disease. It is not something to aspire to.[/quote]

Loosely reminds me of the old 'theory':

"Nothing is better than God. A rat on a stick is better than nothing. Therefore a rat on a stick is better than God."

But in this case, replace the words "God" with "Bass Guitar Magazine".

Ok, I guess that doesn't work as well as I first thought (you would first have to agree that nothing is better than Bass Guitar Magazine, which is kinda true, as there aren't any other bass magazines, but still) :)

Sorry if any offence has been caused.

Edited by yituool

[quote name='yituool' post='546230' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:41 AM']Sorry if any offence has been caused.[/quote]

Not in the slightest, mate. Although I think you need to look at the OED's definition of "irony", or maybe you're American.

The fact is this thread has had rather a lot of views and posts and that includes some of the people from BGM. They appear to have taken some of the suggestions from the venerable BC members on board and the mag has improved greatly in my opinion, largely because of the new editor I guess.

Cheers.

I too agree that the newer issue was much better - [i]much [/i]better, the unaffordable gear notwithstanding. They still need to sort out the grammar in the magazine (see scores of earlier posts, seemingly ignored by BGM - did any of them go to school?). For my sins, I decided to renew my subscription. However, the BGM renewal website does not work (perchance only for EU subs). I informed the subscriptions manager on Thursday but she has not responded yet. Now, is this for my sins, or for my good deeds?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546311' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:38 PM']Had a look at the new issue in WH Smiths. Still the same Jazz Fushion players, Warwick and Fender catalogues, high end basses and waffle.[/quote]

Which issue? The one with Gwizdala on the cover?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546311' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:38 PM']Had a look at the new issue in WH Smiths. Still the same Jazz Fushion players, Warwick and Fender catalogues, high end basses and waffle.[/quote]

I agree about the same jazz players, but I assume that some people are interested and know who they are. I only recognise their names because I've read interviews with them in earlier issues of the magazine, or they write columns in BGM. Other than Marcus Miller, because I saw him in a Fender catalogue (and wondered who he was and why he deserved a signature bass).

[quote name='steve-soar' post='546328' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:47 PM']That's the one. The one with Mr Sadowsky (Bela Lugosi).[/quote]

Well, I thought it was a very good issue, I don't dig on jazz fusion either but that does not diminish what those bass players have to say, or what you can learn from them. And as i said before the session players piece was very interesting and useful for me personally.

[quote name='sk8' post='546347' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:56 PM']I picked up a BGM on holiday as bass player wasn't in the shop and i have to say i was gutted to have wasted £4 on it. What a load of rubbish. Not even worth getting 3 issues for a £1 each if i subscribed.[/quote]

What would be interesting, though is WHY you thought it was a load of rubbish. To just say "What a load of rubbish" makes you sound like you're at a 1950s football match.

I like this magazine for what its worth, its easy to read and you get a bit of knowledge from it. And i started getting when i released dave marks wrote a bit for it, and i always thought he's a great teacher(youtube). Get it to get it, or dont get it at all.

[quote name='silddx' post='546357' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:01 PM']What would be interesting, though is WHY you thought it was a load of rubbish. To just say "What a load of rubbish" makes you sound like you're at a 1950s football match.[/quote]
Didn't have alot of substance and the articles were limited. the subjects i thought would be covered in more detail weren't. It had alot of adverts and i found the play along bit at the back a bit unispiring. This is all of course IMHO.

It didn't want to make me pick it up again and re read it, nor would i wish to subscribe. It was a weak publication scant on news and reviews.

There are obviously people who enjoy it but i will not be bothering again. Will stick to Bass player when i can find it.

I usually buy BGM but ever since they went monthly they've just gone downhill for me. Had a look at it a couple of months ago, an interview with flea, big woop. Didn't buy it. Had a look today, no interviews with anyone i've ever heard of and no reviews of anything much under £2k Except a peavey head/cab. Again, didn't buy it.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Rich' post='547807' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:35 PM']Anyone else spot the irony here..? :)[/quote]

There's no irony d00d, I counted them and there aren't that many more in BP than BGM in terms of page space, and the both have about the same number of pages.