Why become a member? ×

BC adverts that still haunt you

Munurmunuh

4 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

I didn't see it at the time, but that looks like a lot of fun.

Ha! 

It was a great "thing"...really did make a huge sound and always made me smile. I suppose I could always weld up another one. 😁 

Thanks for the comments. 

• Like 1

Reckon the original ad will be long gone now as it was back in 2008 when I first joined BC, but my persistent nightmare is the Fender Japan '65 Jazz Reissue, Oly White with matching headstock, tort guard, dot and bound neck, which IIRC was being sold by somebody in Scotland, asking price £450. I really should have bought it, and to this day regret not doing so... 😭

• Like 3

On 19/05/2021 at 12:27, LukeFRC said:

There was I think Wes Steed ( @wesfinn)  built a beautiful Herbie Flowers jazz bass replica, that I think @molan owned for a while. It was up for sale here twice I think, and then also at Bass Gear. At all times I hadn't the money :( 

Who knows where it ended up 

https://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Custom-Herbie-Flowers-Jazz-Replica-2011-Relicd-Blue-38375  

I did have all the bills of sale buried away but was locked out of my backup drives by a large global ransomeware attack a couple of weeks ago. 

waiting to see if anyone will find a hack to get past it. 

1 hour ago, molan said:

I did have all the bills of sale buried away but was locked out of my backup drives by a large global ransomeware attack a couple of weeks ago. 

waiting to see if anyone will find a hack to get past it. 

Tis it better to have loved and lost (but know it's whereabouts) than never loved at all? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lol! A couple for me

One was cocobolo Overwater Perception originally sold by the wonderful Molan. It's current owner has had it a long time,and has put it up for sale, then withdrawn it twice 😂

Another was a seafoam green Japenese P bass, with a mint guard, that was on here many yes ago. Our very Clarky was selling a similar one not too long ago,and I foolishly didn't jump on it.

• Like 1

This:

P1080271_zpsimzfsjeo.jpg

A whole chain of events lead to me being parted from this beauty which is actually green NOT blue as the photos suggest.

Firstly I traded this with Marcus (of Bass Direct fame) for his GB Spitfire after I bought a Rumour which I was (rightfully) very impressed with, thinking that the Spitfire would be a great acquisition. At the time I knew that I shouldn't be doing the trade. I was having sellers remorse before he even left. Even though the Spitfire was a nice bass it was nowhere near as good as the Rumour or the Status.

Marcus then traded it with Snook even though we'd agreed he'd give me the chance to get it back if he was moving it on. He didn't.

Snook advertised the bass here for more than I'd originally paid for it. I couldn't bring myself to pay MORE to get it back.

Snook advertised it at a time when I was working on downsizing - basses that I didn't want to get rid of (but eventually did). Despite wanting the bass back, at the time I was determined NOT to buy more basses.

Snook eventually sold the bass to a buyer abroad thus taking it out of my reach - probably forever.

I don't ever expect to have this back but if the current owner is reading this - PLEASE PM me!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was a Hamer B12 up a few years ago in Jeff Ament specs; 12 string, matt black, had different pickup configuration.  £1,700 I think it was, which was a fair price then.

We had building work going on and just didn't have the spare £££ at the time, although my wife did say (after it sold) that if it was special enough we could have found the money.  Ack.

I did message the seller to see where it went.  I think about it every day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's been quite a few that I regret not jumping on but the two that haunt me (I still have thd links saved) were both Shukers, the Rockinfreakapotamus Flea stye in battleship grey and the tasty orange Jaffa or Tigger jazz with reverse headstock, I'd be willing to cull a lot of the current herd to fund either of those two!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bassman666 said:

Massively regret selling that beast, would buy it back in an instant! 

The chain is broken, the bass is now lost to light. Sigh.

Oh well, if anyone does have a Thumb Dirty Blonde, or any other limited edition Thumbs, get in touch, I might start collecting them. I'm in the market for a Dolphin Pro I too. I should probably make a proper wanted thread.

On 19/05/2021 at 12:54, Reggaebass said:

I live just round the corner from where Andy Baxter was and I remember that bass, whoever bought it, Andy was going to get Norman to hand it to them 

I once went to Andy Baxter's on spec without realising I was supposed to make an appointment until I got to the door, so I rang from there and he sort of huffed a bit and reluctantly let me in.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I once went to Andy Baxter's on spec without realising I was supposed to make an appointment until I got to the door, so I rang from there and he sort of huffed a bit and reluctantly let me in.

Did you buy anything, he had some really nice basses in there, I miss his shop 

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Did you buy anything, he had some really nice basses in there, I miss his shop 

Nope; he made it pretty obvious that he'd let me in under protest and didn't really engage with me in conversation, so I took a quick look around and legged it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I was slow to decide on going a for an Ampeg PF50t when Kenny's were blowing them out, and then umm'd and ahh'd too much over the subsequent rash of them getting moved on here.

Thinking of your username, are we seeing nominative determinism in action here? :D