Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

But then no records should anything go wrong.

I can only go on my experience, I called bass direct last week to purchase a zoom b6. Before the call had ended I had my email receipt, invoice and shipping email. 

• Like 2

Just now, Supernaut said:

It's much easier to convey information via text or e-mail than over the phone. 

Honestly, would you remember names, addresses, phone numbers, dates, times, venues, load in requirements, etc. off the top of your head? 

Def not, that`s why I do everything via e-mail if possible, so much easier to go back & check the written word rather than trying to access my dismal memory

It's totally dependent on the question, and we don't know what that is, so not much point in speculating or saying one is better than the other.

IMO, 'do you have XYZ in stock' is a phone call, whereas 'can you quote me for this' is an email.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

It's much easier to convey information via text or e-mail than over the phone. 

Honestly, would you remember names, addresses, phone numbers, dates, times, venues, load in requirements, etc. off the top of your head? 

I think you mean for you, some people might not feel the same, due to personal preference or medical conditions.  I don't mind the phone for some things, but I generally call prepared with a pad and pencil to write stuff down.  

3 minutes ago, ped said:

It's totally dependent on the question, and we don't know what that is, so not much point in speculating or saying one is better than the other.

IMO, 'do you have XYZ in stock' is a phone call, whereas 'can you quote me for this' is an email.

I find especially with BD's website not being great I call if i want to buy something from them.  Shouldnt have to, but for me its not a bad experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonnybass said:

I find especially with BD's website not being great I call if i want to buy something from them.  Shouldnt have to, but for me its not a bad experience.

Don't worry, the new website is coming

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

I have a very specific item I’m after, with particular measurements. So all that information along with photos is in the email. Even if I rang and made contact that way, I would almost certainly be asked to email with said information.

So it’s frustrating that with all that in mind, there’s no response from either my personal or work email addresses.

I give up with them. Not a good experience for me at all, so I’m cutting them out and going direct to the manufacturer of the item I want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I give up with them. Not a good experience for me at all, so I’m cutting them out and going direct to the manufacturer of the item I want.

And let them know why you are going direct to them, because IME they'll try and direct you back to their UK retailer/distributer.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BigRedX said:

But then no records should anything go wrong.

Even better deal with them face to face . I have found over the years that I get a lot more progress , and a whole lot less bulls**t when dealing with folks face to face . I have had all sorts of fob offs , lies , mistruths and even threats of bodily harm over email and telephone , that mysteriously disappear and are resolved when I front up in person . None of this from the lovely folk at BD by the way , I am referring to life in general . 

If I have a customer in the shop in front of me , they are , at that moment the priority . I will not make them wait while I answer a phone call or an email . It is just common good manners . So to get to the front of the queue , front up . If you want to do a deal via the phone or email , take your place in the queue .

• Like 2

On 19/04/2023 at 17:04, peteb said:

Must make getting gigs and dealing with agents, other band members, etc difficult... 

I do all that online. Only speak to band on phone if it's  something like "there's a carnival and we can't drive to the pub!"

On 20/04/2023 at 17:01, peteb said:

Allow me to explain.

Bass Direct are a small company that provide a pretty unique niche service to musicians in a challenging market, and I have used them quite a few times and always found them to be very helpful. However, if I knew nothing of BD or Basschat and was searching on the internet to see if I should use them or not and came across some of the posts here, I might get an unduly negative impression if those posts were to go unchallenged.

The thing is that they are not a big box mover with lots of staff and they are never going to manage their online operations as well as a company like Thomann. But Thomann, good as they are, are never going to give you the level of in-person service / advice that BD will, nor will they give you the opportunity to actually try out gear out before you buy. Every thing you say about BD you can probably say about Bass Gallery, who I think are great even if their website is even worse than the BD one!

Now I know that BD really don’t need me to champion them and they're doing OK despite a few negative posts on BC, but there’s not many of these types of small companies left in this country and we ought to appreciate them (or at least cut them some slack) while they are still in business…! 

My partner sells small items, mostly custom made or assembled to order,  via etsy, ebay and Facebook.  She sets aside time every working day to process every order and keep stock availability accurate. She aims to despatch every order by the next post day. I reckon she probably ships more parcels than BD by quite a margin. If she was to screw up, it would hurt her seller ratings badly.

Running an e-shop should make these things easy, but only if you are conscientious about keeping on top.

Herein lie the problem with BD it seems, it's either brilliant or woeful service.

I still like their weekly emails and the 'new website coming soon' bit has been making me chuckle for the last 5 months. Plainly a definition of soon I'm unacquainted with.

• Haha 1

To be fair to them they have been a man down for a few weeks.

I emailed then rang them a few weeks ago - conversation meant they pulled up my email, sorted the order then and there, item in the post the next day. Robert's your Auntie's live in lover....

Not that difficult really..

• Like 2

That would make sense, I think there is something going on atm. With all my previous experiences being decent I last week didn’t get a reply to an email regarding a high value order (for which I’ve paid a chunky deposit) and is 3 months overdue its delivery date. Tried calling and I’m pretty sure the phone got picked up and put down immediately. Have since emailed again but am still none the wiser. 3 attempts to contact with no outcome ain’t great. 

• Sad 2

On 19/05/2023 at 09:58, jonnybass said:

with BD's website not being great

I was loath to comment here. I really objected to a post on here by a BD staff member or owner. He/she criticised a manufacturer that was selling direct. I do understand that retailers hate direct sales, but it is the first rule of marketing. Do not dis the competition. You may be drive away a future valued customer that owns that brand.

On to the website, it is very poor by today's standards.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2023 at 22:29, Beedster said:

And vice versa 👍

See - I have never seen anyone denying good experience here, only the opposite. Most people who have had bad service have also had good service - 9/10 of orders with even the dodgiest shop are going to be smooth - pay the money get the item things. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ezbass said:

I still like their weekly emails and the 'new website coming soon' bit has been making me chuckle for the last 5 months. Plainly a definition of soon I'm unacquainted with.

It's been about a year the new website has been coming. But, to be fair, they changed 'New website coming in the next couple of weeks' to 'new website coming soon' about 5 months ago...

I rang the shop to discuss a Genzler preamp that was looking available on the website but in the end was out of stock… In fairness to Marcus he was extremely helpful despite the fact that he sounded busy and under pressure. I ended up buying a Starlifter instead and he very kindly put it on next day delivery for me so that I will have it for the weekend.

I also spoke to Mark earlier in the week about the super pre… again super helpful!

• Like 2