Jump to content
petecarlton

Scott's Bass Lessons - enough already!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

Does this help?

image.png.fb8d0f61113ee1c5506fabb3080613fe.png

Excellent ! 🤣

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Excellent ! 🤣

Pardon..? Could you repeat that, please; it's a bit muffled..? :|

...

xD

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Excellent !

 

13 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Pardon..? Could you repeat that, please; it's a bit muffled..?

 

It must be a word that rhymes with "excellent" and has many letters in common.  What could that be...?  Inclement, er, Increment, er, ex-Clement...?

image.png.306439f0dc36948696b2fa4855288a84.png

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

All a bit deja vu this conversation.

A couple (?) of years ago  a similar topic was opened and Scott came on and posted  a detailed and clear video explanation as to the  reasons why he has to resort to the type of notifications  and clickbait that may annoy/irritate some people. He said that basically unless he did it, his posts and content would be lost due to the way the YT algorithm works. He even showed how his hits had declined and what he had to do to bring them back up again.

So, if you don't like his stuff, either unsubscribe or don't open them as they pop up. ( and yes, I do get a bit irritated when he has a closing date for a deal which then gets extended due to possibly spurious reasons!)

Exactly! I have to admit I at the time was not a fan. But the fact he made a video to explain why/how especially for us and the way he conducted himself made me change my mind. You do not become that successful online without  playing the online marketing game I now understand and Scott showed himself to be a true gent. He has my blessing (not that he needs it).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is working that seam and working it well. I wish him nothing but the best. There are many worse things out there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, did he ever come up with any rock / metal content in the academy? 

The other reason Scott's lessons do nothing for me is because it all seems to be built around jazz noodling. Great if that's what floats your boat, but to me it's about as musically inspiring as listening to roadworks. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

So, did he ever come up with any rock / metal content in the academy? 

The other reason Scott's lessons do nothing for me is because it all seems to be built around jazz noodling. Great if that's what floats your boat, but to me it's about as musically inspiring as listening to roadworks. 

There’s a Dave Ellefson course recently added. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

So, did he ever come up with any rock / metal content in the academy? 

Yeah, there are a couple of metal courses in there now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And soon some Kurtág courses too...

 

 

 

 

😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nobatron said:

Yeah, there are a couple of metal courses in there now.

I think I've avoided the algorithm or something recently as I haven't had any of this stuff for ages - however I did get a notification about the 10 best bassists in metal the other day.

So maybe Scott is branching out, or maybe has saturated the previous market he was aiming at to an extent. 

I too used to get heartily sick of the constant notifications (and some of the views and statements made) - however I've sort of got past this and am happy to dip into his free stuff every so often and ignore the rest - as everyone has said, a great resource but certainly not for me as a permanent thing - he is a very affable guy. 

Im equally at home watching people like Guy Pratt going through a classic bass part (interesting he's given kudos to Scott and all the technique stuff etc he does, but said he doesn't do all that!!). This sort of makes me feel a little better about it all and not guilt tripped because I can't remember, for instance, which minor scale is which except by ear sometimes (much as I've read about it, watched videos, including Scott doing modes)!!

I guess it's what turns you on really - if you ignore the algorithm generated stuff it packs up eventually!! 

Hey these threads are great ads for Scott eh 😏 I'm surprised @pedand co aren't developing deals with Scott 😬

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Does this help?

image.png.fb8d0f61113ee1c5506fabb3080613fe.png

Is that the guy out of Biffy Clyro with a comic moustache and hat......

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a world with Davie504 I think Scott Devine is quite palatable..

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nibody said:

In a world with Davie504 I think Scott Devine is quite palatable..

Couldn’t agree more. Having met (and imbibed several beers with) Scott, he is a great guy and a monster player. The marketing style is, by his own admission, a necessary evil due to YouTube algorithmic bollox combined with the majority of his customer base being American. A heady cocktail.

Frankly, given the choice between SBL ads and some of the other guff I see advertised, I’ll take the SBL advert every time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I signed up to his website as I’m just starting out on bass, trying to find useful information. There’s plenty there, which is cool, but now I’m getting 5-6 emails a day from this guy. Persistently trying to get me to cough up £150, and mostly just junk that I delete. I’ve unsubscribed it was too much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They actually sent you marketing emails during your completely free 14 day trial? 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viz Davie 504 his stuff isn't very instructional but it can be quite amusing. There's no doubting his skills though I can see why slap haters wouldn't like his YT channel. Scott's very strong on slap, and funk in general, which is great for me,  but there may not be a s much for metalheads. Mind you he does seem to be a big fan of Billy Sheehan. I don't particularly care for the music BS plays but I'm interested in learning some of his techniques as he is a monster fingerstylist.

Edited by Barking Spiders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Viz Davie 504 his stuff isn't very instructional but it can be quite amusing. There's no doubting his skills though I can see why slap haters wouldn't like his YT channel. Scott's very strong on slap, and funk in general, which is great for me,  but there may not be a s much for metalheads. Mind you he does seem to be a big fan of Billy Sheehan. I don't particularly care for the music BS plays but I'm interested in learning some of his techniques as he is a monster fingerstylist.

His stuff ceased to be funny about two years ago - I can admire his skills - though it's true I dont like slap, I think it has its place  but is not the measuring stick by which everyone who picks up a bass should be measured. When tastefully done its great but overbearing 200bpm slap bass widdling to me is on the same levell of annoyance as the multitude of guitarists that used to live in music shops franticaly hammering on and pulling off in an attempt to impress any and all within 50ft. It gets a bit old when bass demo's consist solely of someone showing off slapping the damn thing - people play with fingers, plectrums... I couldn't give a monkeys what it sounds like when you hit it with your thumb.

Davie lost me when it stopped being about his playing and turned into him trying to be PewdiePie and a host of other vaccuous YouTube "stars". The jokes were amusing at first, not so much anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the negativity against what he is trying to do. He is doing something he believes in and is trying to grow his business like anyone else would. If you don't see any benefit from joining, then just ignore it. Swat it away with the all the other unsolicited offers that you receive everyday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BaldyLocks said:

I signed up to his website as I’m just starting out on bass, trying to find useful information. There’s plenty there, which is cool, but now I’m getting 5-6 emails a day from this guy. Persistently trying to get me to cough up £150, and mostly just junk that I delete. I’ve unsubscribed it was too much.

There must be law against such unsolicited bombardment? 😧 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You young’uns don’t know a good thing when you see it. When I started, tuition consisted of some crap books, ropey VHS videos, deciphering stuff off records/tapes and, if you were very lucky, your local teacher was half decent. It’s paid for and I don’t subscribe as I’m good as I want to be, but i would have killed for such a resource (and others online) when I was starting out. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

You young’uns don’t know a good thing when you see it. When I started, tuition consisted of some crap books, ropey VHS videos, deciphering stuff off records/tapes and, if you were very lucky, your local teacher was half decent. It’s paid for and I don’t subscribe as I’m good as I want to be, but i would have killed for such a resource (and others online) when I was starting out. 

Would your paid teacher come banging on your door 6 times a day when you didn't invite him round? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every email any business sends you has ‘Unsubscribe’ button. It’s one click. 

SBL send about 20 emails a month. Each one contains this text. 

12474781_Screenshot2020-09-17at08_43_57.thumb.png.23e6a1d33c2e61feeb754cb5f4cd67a9.png

 

 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a podcast with Jayme Lewis Scott says he has a team of 25. Much as the emails and FB presence can get wearing fair play to the bass player that generates that kind of industry from bass tutoring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2020 at 11:01, Nibody said:

Davie lost me when it stopped being about his playing and turned into him trying to be PewdiePie and a host of other vaccuous YouTube "stars". The jokes were amusing at first, not so much anymore.

Im sure Davie and his bank balancing are mourning the loss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...