Happy Jack

The Hurdy-Gurdy ... who knew?

Really excellent YouTube documentary, well worth watching.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good thing you have an avatar of Ronnie Barker ...

My friend repairs old instruments so I got a good look at his friends hurdy gurdy. Then when his friend was round we got a demo of it. i find it totally fascinating how it works and horribly irritating after one song!

He is in a group with the guy and they use it for a few. Can't say I am a fan of that pony's trick!

I was going to make a hurdy-gurdy/hurly-burly joke, but that already came up in the video!

I was always intrigued that when Richie Blackmore eschewed the electric guitar he suggested that anyone who was into that sound should consider the hurdy-gurdy, as it has a similar roaring quality to it. I can see his point...sort of.

I've been fascinated by this instrument recently oddly enough. I didn't even know it was a real thing, i just thought it some mad stinky poo Donovan was going on about! Anyways this girl is quite interesting, trying to bring the gurdy to the kids!

• Like 2

😄

I watched it to make sure Richie Blackmore didn't appear in the vid, but instead my terrible pun did. Probably not a bad thing over all, though.

And there I was thinking 'hurdy gurdy' was just something this bloke said.

Swedish Chef - Wikipedia

22 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Hurdy Gurdy ?

Maaaaaaan.....

Ahhhhh ... happy daze.

When I saw him do this at The Rainbow I have no recollection of any actual hurdy-gurdys being on stage at the time.

Mind you, in truth (and for full disclosure) I'm not entirely sure that I could even remember my name that night. Like ... wow, I mean ... like ... far out, man ...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Ahhhhh ... happy daze.

When I saw him do this at The Rainbow I have no recollection of any actual hurdy-gurdys being on stage at the time.

Mind you, in truth (and for full disclosure) I'm not entirely sure that I could even remember my name that night. Like ... wow, I mean ... like ... far out, man ...

Another unforgettable night you can't remember ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bizarrely, my clearest memory of the whole evening is coming back home on the (then still quite new) Victoria Line. One of my very stoned friends, a huge guy 6'6" tall and built like a brick proverbial, was strap-hanging when the bloody strap just broke, leaving him sitting on the floor holding the 'bulb' end and the whole carriage in hysterics.

• Haha 1

A chum of mine (who is into wilfully quirky music) got a basic hurdy gurdy made for him (before people like a Robert Plant made it “cool”). He was showing it off to me and some chums when one of the others said, “Cool Tim. You’ve just spent 500 quid so you can sound exactly like a 50 quid monophonic synth. Nice!”

• Haha 2

Wow at one point the Hurdy Gurdy had an incredibly low social status.

Not that bass players can understand how that feels :|!

• Haha 1

I enjoyed the program for the history, context and technical notes....... but a little more playing of the Hurdy Gurdy would have been good.

Will give that documentary a watch.

speaking of hurdy gurdys, this video came up in the YouTube hole I fell down last night.

Hard to make a living as a 10-piece!

On 10/09/2020 at 09:43, artisan said:

It works surprisingly well in this piece of doom metal.

Excellent tune too

There’s no hurdy gurdy there- I only

heard bagpipes 😉

great tune though 🤘🤘