Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Looking for a bit of advice here. I am planning to bring my 71P in for a general clean-up and servicing at some point in the coming weeks and I was toying with the idea of asking the luthier to tidy up a bit the wiring that looks a bit messy. Before I even consider that, can I ask if the current wiring / soldering is original and if touching it will have any impact o value? Happy to leave it alone if need be as it doesn't create any sound or other issues

pots.thumb.jpg.4248be644c18d2d5e3fa3b6ed1f76791.jpg

Edited by vincbt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vincbt said:

Looking for a bit of advice here...

It might look 'a bit messy' to you, but it looks very much 'par for the course' to me. If that's the only 'issue', I'd quote the old saw 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. There will be no advantage gained from re-wiring; I don't consider solder joints to be part of an instruments value, myself, but there's no reason to touch 'em, as far as I can see. Maybe a dash of contact cleaner for the pots, whilst it's open, but that's all. Move along now; nothing to see here... B|

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, vincbt said:

Looking for a bit of advice here. I am planning to bring my 71P in for a general clean-up and servicing at some point in the coming weeks and I was toying with the idea of asking the luthier to tidy up a bit the wiring that looks a bit messy. Before I even consider that, can I ask if the current wiring / soldering is original and if touching it will have any impact o value? Happy to leave it alone if need be as it doesn't create any sound or other issues

38 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It might look 'a bit messy' to you, but it looks very much 'par for the course' to me. If that's the only 'issue', I'd quote the old saw 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

^^^^
Definitely this.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vincbt said:

. Before I even consider that, can I ask if the current wiring / soldering is original

pots.thumb.jpg.4248be644c18d2d5e3fa3b6ed1f76791.jpg

No, not original imo. Although Fender were using up old coloured wires from their amps in the late 60s, this is too messy. The large green wire was also a common mod back in the day. 

For reference, here’s the coloured wire on a 100% original ‘69 I used to own 

20937C83-0955-447F-B5DA-2BFC92C4D03E.jpeg

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Very clean looking, and a reasonable price , I missed out on a 72 jazz with the black blocks a while back because I was dithering 😁

I bought one for £1450 a couple of years ago. It’s now the one featured in the Andy Baxter photos. Love black blocks!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I bought one for £1450 a couple of years ago. It’s now the one featured in the Andy Baxter photos. Love black blocks!

Is that the sunburst one?, the one I nearly bought was the same as this, I took a few days to think and arrange collection, but he sold it , it was a good price too 

97B67F4E-E11E-49F3-8DB3-4EF2E0EEA2CA.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is that the sunburst one?, the one I nearly bought was the same as this, I took a few days to think and arrange collection, but he sold it , it was a good price too 

97B67F4E-E11E-49F3-8DB3-4EF2E0EEA2CA.jpeg

Yeah! They’re lovely looking things and really rare.

• Like 1

This is my 1974 Jazz Bass - it belonged to my friend Jimmy Davidson.

Jimmy bought the bass used in late '74. This was the first bass guitar I ever played when I took an interest in the instrument. 

Jimmy showed me the basics on this very instrument.

He gigged it solidly, but sold it in the late 80s, which he really regretted. His wife actually tracked it down a few years later, and managed to buy it back as a surprise gift for Jimmy's 40th birthday. 

He continued to use it thereafter. 

Late 1999 he felt rather run down. Tests at the docs revealed that he had cancer. Within a few short months he passed away in February 2000, leaving his wife, and two daughters, Emma and Laura.

Carol, Jimmy's wife, called me to say that Jimmy had wanted me to get his bass when he passed away.

I treasure the instrument,  but even now, 13 years after his passing,  I can't play the bass without thinking, "this is Jimmy's bass". It's still too raw.

so, in order to ensure that the bass is being used, it has been loaned out to various musician friends, such as Paul Turner (Jamiroquai,  Annie Lennox, etc), Brinsley Forde (Aswad), Pino., etc. Its currently om loan to Rob Harris (Jamiroquai)

You can see / hear Rob using the bass here:

20200813_075535.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 14

So…In about 2013, I had this in my hands for appraisal via an auction house.

It was an asset liquidation sale - there was a custom shop Marvin strat, and a Hofner 500/1 of some vintage too. A couple of old Wurlitzer jukeboxes and “Americana” stuff like that.

The rest was Rolex’s etc and gaudy expensive furniture.

It was a 61, with gold hardware.

Unsure at the time if it had been one of the refin fiesta reds done by the UK importer…I didn’t know much about gold hardware being an option either.

I offered to buy it for £2k (what I had saved up).

The guy (rightly…) said “I know it’s worth more.”

I later found out that it only fetched £1500 and someone got very lucky…something rings a bell about it being a Fender GBI employee who got it.

Never played anything near it since.

I had a 77p at the time and this had so much more to it.

Talk about the one that got away.

5803B9FB-58B9-4E5A-86CB-11D88EC48101.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

It was an asset liquidation sale - there was a custom shop Marvin strat, and a Hofner 500/1 of some vintage too. A couple of old Wurlitzer jukeboxes and “Americana” stuff like that.

Unsure at the time if it had been one of the refin fiesta reds done by the UK importer…I didn’t know much about gold hardware being an option either.

I later found out that it only fetched £1500 and someone got very lucky…something rings a bell about it being a Fender GBI employee who got it.

You had one above with gold hardware,not the one for sale at Andy B?

Edited by onehandclapping

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

At least it getting away was through no fault of your own 👊

• Thanks 1