Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 07/07/2020 at 22:28, 42Hz said:

A lightweight instrument body adds to the tendency to neck dive. My SS Jaguar does not dive but it weighs some 4.2kg.

Mine dives and it's about 3kg. Also, everything's fairly small scale apart from the headstock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I think this is a medium scale, so maybe not worthy of this thread. Picked it up this week. Sold my Talman short scale and a Dano guitar so this cost me nothing really. €25 was the difference. 90s Samick. Very good condition.

I might get rid of the pickguard. Feels on the light side. Strung with roundwounds, so there´s a bit of buzzing going on. Might look at flatwounds. I'll see. What about the bridge? Should it go and be replaced?

I don't have an amp here to test it, so will have to wait :(

WJm7Xcq.jpeg

I7K5Cr6.jpeg

TKbLhQp.jpeg

eXsjgZV.jpeg

8dlgf9G.jpeg

Edited by barrycreed
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never uploaded pics of my shorty.

It's an ACG TKO Modern 4 string.

  • 30.5" scale
  • White Limba body with a Figured Maple top, stained black
  • 3 piece Ash neck, with a reverse headstock, stained black
  • Rosewood fingerboard
  • Reverse Splitcoil pickup, with passive vol/tone
  • Black Hipshot B Type bridge, Gotoh tuner
  • Currently wearing TI Flats (not in the pictures though)

image.png.234f43e9999e89eb1b81510c7298d510.png

image.png.8a9b0ef6d69dec367319c012ee491c82.png

image.png.f9b1912f35413dfd00ff35b3e12a165c.png

Cheers,
Eude

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/07/2020 at 22:28, 42Hz said:

A lightweight instrument body adds to the tendency to neck dive. My SS Jaguar does not dive but it weighs some 4.2kg.

Sandberg Super Light (long scale) doesn't have that problem. It's 2.9kg / 6.3lb

My 32 scale Ibby Mezzo 5 string is 3.1kg / 7 lb and doesn't have that problem either.

 

IIRC Sandberg will make any of their basses 32 scale as a custom option.

 

Small headstocks and very light weight tuners are very useful - as is an upper horn that extends enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Interesting. Pickups look to be in the same position as a Ric bass. How does it sound?

I haven't had a chance to have a really good play on it yet only about half an hour or so ... the pickups are Supro's as on the Huntington basses so quite " vintage " sounding , which is what I was after...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apart from the pickups, any major differences between the Squier CV short scale and the Mustang?

Anyone get their hands on the fallout tribute short scale yet? I like the idea of single pickup configs, but if I could stick some Ric Laredo style pickups on a short scale, it would sound great I'd say!

Might have been posted already but this?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200630359819025--burns-short-scale-jazz-six-bass-red-burst

Edited by barrycreed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/08/2020 at 18:04, mike 110 said:

20200803_140823.thumb.jpg.bc039795146bbd9aa44a2ba0c271e377.jpgCollected today from Jon Shuker ....😁

Wow, absolutely stunning!  I'm a big fan of Jon's work and that looks sublime.  The facing and body binding are beautiful.  Three frets short for me and I'm not a big fan of the B bridge, but overall incredible example of Jon's work

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/08/2020 at 19:04, mike 110 said:

20200803_140823.thumb.jpg.bc039795146bbd9aa44a2ba0c271e377.jpgCollected today from Jon Shuker ....😁

It's indeed a beautiful short scale, though I personally would have chosen to have it equipped with pickups that were to the more aggressive side.

To each their own though, as long as you got what suits you best personally.

Congratulations! :i-m_so_happy::hi:

It sure got the looks. :x

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It's indeed a beautiful short scale, though I personally would have chosen to have it equipped with pickups that were to the more aggressive side.

To each their own though, as long as you got what suits you best personally.

Congratulations! :i-m_so_happy::hi:

It sure got the looks. :x

Thanks 😁    I've got a Shuker P bass that can sound pretty aggressive , there's a pic over on the White Basses thread 👍 I love the sound of the Supro pickups andI wanted their vintage vibe  😁 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Apart from the pickups, any major differences between the Squier CV short scale and the Mustang?

Anyone get their hands on the fallout tribute short scale yet? I like the idea of single pickup configs, but if I could stick some Ric Laredo style pickups on a short scale, it would sound great I'd say!

Might have been posted already but this?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200630359819025--burns-short-scale-jazz-six-bass-red-burst

Body and fretboard material as well as the p/us are different on the PJs to the CV Squiers. Possibly other stuff too.

Really fancied a Fallout trib model but lack of being able to try one meant I went with the second Mustang instead.

Think the new Burns model was mentioned on the bass vi alternative thread. Good looks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have 3 short scale basses that I am currently waiting on to arrive. I have been playing medium scales for a few years now since I sold my regular scale basses but I had a mustang P/J model recently and really like the 30" scale also.

I have a Sandberg Lionel Short Scale Bass that is in the mail. A Chowny SWB-1 in Trans White 2020 model on order and I have a Mayones Cali4 mini Bass being built. I'll post some pics of the Sandberg when I receive it next week. 😎

1410117425_SandbergLionel.png.e9847760bf850b6f49b7f3e077e71843.png617593537_white2.thumb.png.33435bf49758ed499e5e8b0bcda657ae.png1978018856_Cali4SwampAsh-Copy.png.4150c6386976c4864acbe469820aa86b.png

Edited by TK4261
added info
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, TK4261 said:

I have 3 short scale basses that I am currently waiting on to arrive. I have been playing medium scales for a few years now since I sold my regular scale basses but I had a mustang P/J model recently and really like the 30" scale also.

I have a Sandberg Lionel Short Scale Bass that is in the mail. A Chowny SWB-1 in Trans White 2020 model on order and I have a Mayones Cali4 mini Bass being built. I'll post some pics of the Sandberg when I receive it next week. 😎

1410117425_SandbergLionel.png.e9847760bf850b6f49b7f3e077e71843.png617593537_white2.thumb.png.33435bf49758ed499e5e8b0bcda657ae.png1978018856_Cali4SwampAsh-Copy.png.4150c6386976c4864acbe469820aa86b.png

Those SWB Chownys look very interesting, when guitar shop visiting gets back to normal and Anderton’s have them in stock, I must try one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...