Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Barking Spiders

Artists whose music only sounds good when tampered with

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The mention of U2 in another thread prompted me to play some Apollo 440 remixes of U2 songs e.g. Even Better Than The Real Thing. This is the only way I can listen to U2. Similarly, I can't listen to Smashing Pumpkins except when their stuff has also been remixed for the dancefloor as Fluke did with End of The Beginning. So, are there any 'artists' whose songs  you just can't listen to unless they've been severely tampered with by others?

Edited by Barking Spiders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I played the original to death when it came out I now much more prefer listening to Dub Side of the Moon by Easy Star All-Stars. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost any Bob Dylan stuff. Rare exceptions; very rare.

  • Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Although I played the original to death when it came out I now much more prefer listening to Dub Side of the Moon by Easy Star All-Stars. 

with you there. saw them play it in full at last year's Blue Dot festival. Great fun they were too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Almost any Bob Dylan stuff. Rare exceptions; very rare.

 

You beat me to it. Great songwriter...... best sung by other people...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cetera said:

 

You beat me to it. Great songwriter...... best sung by other people...

You guys obviously aint heard this then

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of singer-songwriters who have had their work arguably covered by 'better' singers - as well as Bob Dylan you could also include Burt Bacharach, Kris Kristofferson, Brian Wilson and Jimmy Webb for example.  However for me there is always something about hearing the originator of the songs performing them that cuts through somehow. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off the topic, as I can tolerate Elvis, love Led Zeppelin and adore reggae. But put them all together =😍👍🎸😳. Not quite the sum of their parts but what a journey of discovery. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Slightly off the topic, as I can tolerate Elvis, love Led Zeppelin and adore reggae. But put them all together =😍👍🎸😳. Not quite the sum of their parts but what a journey of discovery. 

I remember when they came out, was quite startling, Tortelvis on vox lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I remember when they came out, was quite startling, Tortelvis on vox lol.

Tortelvis is quite something. What a concept though. When George Clinton landed the mothership, Tortelvis was clinging onto the undercarriage! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Although I played the original to death when it came out I now much more prefer listening to Dub Side of the Moon by Easy Star All-Stars. 

Big fan of Dub Side however off the back of this I also bought Easy Stars Hearts Dub Band and RadioDread - both disappointing.

 

Here for your perusal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Check out their version of Mr Jackson's "Thrilla"

Track Listings

Disc: 1

  1. Wanna Be Startin Somethin (feat. JoWil and Ruff Scott)
  2. Baby Be Mine (feat. The Green)
  3. The Girl Is Mine (feat. Mojo Morgan and Steel Pulse)
  4. Thriller (feat. Mikey General and Spragga Benz)
  5. Beat It (feat. Michael Rose)
  6. Billie Jean (feat. Luciano)
  7. Human Nature (feat. Cas Haley)
  8. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (feat. Kirsty Rock)
  9. The Lady In My Life (feat. Christopher Martin)
  10. Dub It
  11. Close To Midnight
Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I remember when they came out, was quite startling, Tortelvis on vox lol.

I worked for them in 91 iirc. 
nice guys- tortelvis’s transformation from ‘normal’ was a real eye opener 😳👍

fantastic live band 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a remix that didn’t ruin a song!

Loved U2 in that era.

 

all down to what sort of music we all like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Slightly off the topic, as I can tolerate Elvis, love Led Zeppelin and adore reggae. But put them all together =😍👍🎸😳. Not quite the sum of their parts but what a journey of discovery. 

Thanks to an odd upbringing,  I was familiar with Dread Zeppelin before I heard Led Zeppelin. Black Dog still sounds more natural to me as a slow reggae. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The band that springs to mind is Cornershop. I really liked the single version of Brimful of Asha when it was a big hit in the charts. Of course at the time I never realised it was a Norman Cook remix. Then I heard the un-jiggered-with version of the track and it was unutterably dull. Leaden, lumpen, flat, repretitive (but not in a catchy hook way) and lacking in any sort of dynamics. Turned out the ONLY parts I really liked about the song was the Fatboy Slim Big Beat fairy dust sprinkled over the song. Since then every time I've seen or heard Cornershop as themselves - radio, Jools, TOTP2... wherever - both the songs and their performances of them have come across to me as awfully dreary and lifeless.

Yeah baby! [REMIX]

Oh no matron!  [ORIGINAL - Yawn]

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ribbetingfrog said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a remix that didn’t ruin a song!

What's your thoughts on this one then? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

The band that springs to mind is Cornershop. I really liked the single version of Brimful of Asha when it was a big hit in the charts. Of course at the time I never realised it was a Norman Cook remix. Then I heard the un-jiggered-with version of the track and it was unutterably dull. Leaden, lumpen, flat, repretitive (but not in a catchy hook way) and lacking in any sort of dynamics. Turned out the ONLY parts I really liked about the song was the Fatboy Slim Big Beat fairy dust sprinkled over the song. Since then every time I've seen or heard Cornershop as themselves - radio, Jools, TOTP2... wherever - both the songs and their performances of them have come across to me as awfully dreary and lifeless.

Yeah baby! [REMIX]

Oh no matron!  [ORIGINAL - Yawn]

 

Good call and fully agree. Another tune, though a bit less well known is Hard to Beat by formally hyped-to-the-max-but-nowt-ever-came-of-it indie merchants Hard Fi.  This the original, which I like lot...

but this is the London Elektricity remix, which I firkin love

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Good call and fully agree. Another tune, though a bit less well known is Hard to Beat by formally hyped-to-the-max-but-nowt-ever-came-of-it indie merchants Hard Fi.  This the original, which I like lot...

but this is the London Elektricity remix, which I firkin love

 

Like 'em both! The original was produced by my chum Wolsey. His daughter and my little boy are best buddies and classmates! Well, we do both live in Hard Fi Central Station!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVE mash-ups. I started enjoying Wax Audio's produce many years ago, but right now Bill McClintock is doing some top level 'tampering'!! I will quite happily listen to albums worth of quality mashing! Actually, as a guilty pleasure, two pop songs I didn't particularly like hacked together has made one fo my favourite mash-ups ever. Freelance Hellraiser's "A Stroke Of Genius"

 

Bill McClintock's PLAYLIST can be found here:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything and everything by the Beatles.

Love the songs, hate the vocals -but there are many excellent covers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dood said:

I LOVE mash-ups. I started enjoying Wax Audio's produce many years ago, but right now Bill McClintock is doing some top level 'tampering'!! I will quite happily listen to albums worth of quality mashing! Actually, as a guilty pleasure, two pop songs I didn't particularly like hacked together has made one fo my favourite mash-ups ever. Freelance Hellraiser's "A Stroke Of Genius"

 

Bill McClintock's PLAYLIST can be found here:

 

 

I think this is probably my fave mash up...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To throw a spanner in the works....

Jive Bunny

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...but infinitely better than the original..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...