Why become a member? ×

Artists whose music only sounds good when tampered with

6 hours ago, TrevorR said:

The band that springs to mind is Cornershop. I really liked the single version of Brimful of Asha when it was a big hit in the charts. Of course at the time I never realised it was a Norman Cook remix. Then I heard the un-jiggered-with version of the track and it was unutterably dull. Leaden, lumpen, flat, repretitive (but not in a catchy hook way) and lacking in any sort of dynamics. Turned out the ONLY parts I really liked about the song was the Fatboy Slim Big Beat fairy dust sprinkled over the song. Since then every time I've seen or heard Cornershop as themselves - radio, Jools, TOTP2... wherever - both the songs and their performances of them have come across to me as awfully dreary and lifeless.

Yeah baby! [REMIX]

Oh no matron!  [ORIGINAL - Yawn]

Whoa that’s quite something isn’t it! First time I’ve ever heard both versions. Mad innit. 

The Cornershop one reminds of that Spaceman thing, mainly because it was a similar era. I can't remember the band name but the bloke was called Jazz Man or something. Both versions were terrible to be fair but the original was the worse. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Since then every time I've seen or heard Cornershop as themselves - radio, Jools, TOTP2... wherever - both the songs and their performances of them have come across to me as awfully dreary and lifeless.

I would say the remix is better, but still not a fan of either!

18 minutes ago, Maude said:

The Cornershop one reminds of that Spaceman thing, mainly because it was a similar era. I can't remember the band name but the bloke was called Jazz Man or something. Both versions were terrible to be fair but the original was the worse. 

Babylon Zoo... Jas Mann was the self proclaimed saviour of pop music if I recall... and then sank without trace like the remainder of his awful song. As I recall he had Carrie Melbourne on bass and Chapman Stick...

10 hours ago, TrevorR said:

What's your thoughts on this one then? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To be fair, hasn’t ruined it!

reasonably sympathetic to the source material.

As remixes go, half decent.

Too many beeps, squeaks and embellishments for my tastes, stifles the enjoyment of the original instruments.

I like things simple and guitar based.

(and with much bass obviously).

I’m very glad we live in a varied world though.

On 13/05/2020 at 22:40, TrevorR said:

Babylon Zoo... Jas Mann was the self proclaimed saviour of pop music if I recall... and then sank without trace like the remainder of his awful song. 

I quite liked the single but I heard another song of his and it was pretty rubbish.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2020 at 10:58, ribbetingfrog said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a remix that didn’t ruin a song!

Loved U2 in that era.

all down to what sort of music we all like.

Ive heard a few re mixes that are better than the original. Although when Mary J Bilge did her vocal masturbating over the U2 song One, I thought it ruined it.

I love this song but love  the re mix even more,