Why become a member? ×

My wife says I don't need another bass.

edstraker123

[quote name='neepheid' post='415375' date='Feb 20 2009, 02:50 PM']You say that, but you'd be wrong. I used to think that. Then I joined a band. Who knows where it will lead?[/quote]

I DID join a band but sadly we actually disbanded 2 days ago due to not being able to find ANY members! I've got a couple of bands that i'm gonna audition for but i doubt i'll get in, i'm not really the most amazing singer in the world.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='415571' date='Feb 20 2009, 05:10 PM']I DID join a band but sadly we actually disbanded 2 days ago due to not being able to find ANY members! I've got a couple of bands that i'm gonna audition for but i doubt i'll get in, i'm not really the most amazing singer in the world.[/quote]

It's the "I'm not good enough" attitude that's the problem. Life has many ingenious ways of kicking you in the balls, no need for you to help it with unnecessary self-deprecation ;)

[quote name='neepheid' post='415673' date='Feb 20 2009, 06:50 PM']It's the "I'm not good enough" attitude that's the problem. Life has many ingenious ways of kicking you in the balls, no need for you to help it with unnecessary self-deprecation :P[/quote]

That's pretty much spot on what my mate told me as well ;)

The problem round here is that there just are no bands to join. I'm gonna audition for this one but after that, that's it- no more bands in the area to audition for. Sucks but there y'go. I'm not even auditioning to play the bass. Ooh no, it's death metal style vocals!

Edited by EdwardHimself

Heres the thread.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5657&hl=how+many+basses"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...how+many+basses[/url]

FYI I have 5 basses and one geetar.

She has a point - you dont NEED another bass.

You however WANT another.

Just ask her how she differentiates and justifies those two in her arena!

[quote name='Hamster' post='414606' date='Feb 19 2009, 06:59 PM']I have 4, but I'm reducing to 3 - but I suppose that's not what you wanted to hear![/quote]
Hmm, you don't still have that Bass Collection SB325 cluttering up your house do you?

Deep breath:

6 basses, 2 electric guitars, one acoustic guitar, one upright, one custom hand made bouzouki, 3 concertinas, 3 accordions, my late father's fiddle, 2 mandolins, 2 banjos (stop laughing at the back), one columbian tiple, one Eb tuba (on loan) and an autoharp.

Plus 3 guitars, one bass and one drumkit belonging to various offspring.

[quote name='BeLow' post='415853' date='Feb 20 2009, 10:45 PM']To be honest having more than one is overated - theres the increased level of maintenance, switching from one to the to other can cause you to get confused under pressure and play things incorrectly, and then to to top it all off how you decide which one to take to the gig ...

but that's enough talking about women, what bass are you wanting to get?[/quote]
;)

[quote name='edstraker123' post='414601' date='Feb 19 2009, 06:51 PM']Just debating the merits of buying another bass with my wife who cannot understand why I need another one I currently have 4 and an acoustic and the same number of guitars but I bet this is a modest collection compared to some other basschatters. Please can somebody else tell me how many guitars they have in their collections so I can prove that it is not an obsession and is quite normal ![/quote]

I have 3 basses, one of which I use all the time, one which is half built and one which was my #1 for fifteen years but needs TLC. Like any of us, I would spend all of my disposable income (which ain't much!) on more basses/amps/cabs/effects. However, we've just booked our wedding day for next year. Even if we're really careful it'll cost us 10 grand FOR ONE DAY! And no matter how careful we start out, it won't be long before she tells me that she MUST have a chocolate fountain, cos her best mate had one at her wedding. So we need to start saving. She's just told me she will spend the 500 quid I need to finish off the half built one, then every penny after that goes to the wedding. Should I still marry her!?

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='416396' date='Feb 21 2009, 10:08 PM']I have 3 basses, one of which I use all the time, one which is half built and one which was my #1 for fifteen years but needs TLC. Like any of us, I would spend all of my disposable income (which ain't much!) on more basses/amps/cabs/effects. However, we've just booked our wedding day for next year. Even if we're really careful it'll cost us 10 grand FOR ONE DAY! And no matter how careful we start out, it won't be long before she tells me that she MUST have a chocolate fountain, cos her best mate had one at her wedding. So we need to start saving. She's just told me she will spend the 500 quid I need to finish off the half built one, then every penny after that goes to the wedding. Should I still marry her!?[/quote]

Our wedding only cost us about 3 grand. You're not being careful enough ;)

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='416396' date='Feb 21 2009, 10:08 PM']I have 3 basses, one of which I use all the time, one which is half built and one which was my #1 for fifteen years but needs TLC. Like any of us, I would spend all of my disposable income (which ain't much!) on more basses/amps/cabs/effects. However, we've just booked our wedding day for next year. Even if we're really careful it'll cost us 10 grand FOR ONE DAY! And no matter how careful we start out, it won't be long before she tells me that she MUST have a chocolate fountain, cos her best mate had one at her wedding. So we need to start saving. She's just told me she will spend the 500 quid I need to finish off the half built one, then every penny after that goes to the wedding. Should I still marry her!?[/quote]

Well, that's up to you but I wouldn't spend that much or in fact anything at all on a wedding. Just live together or if for some bizarre reason you must be married it's £24 I think at the register office.

Hey i was looking around hull uni yesterday, apparently they do weddings! Very romantic ;)

[quote name='Golchen' post='416494' date='Feb 22 2009, 09:38 AM']This sounds terrible, but once I bought a secondhand guitar, had it delivered to work, dismantled it and took the bits home over a couple of days, and then announced that I was going to 'make something up out of spare parts that I have lying around".

It worked.[/quote]
That's genius. Wish I'd thought of it first!

Back in college during the mid '90s , I used to have McDonald® burger for lunch to save money for a new bass. I finally got one Yamaha RBX but didn't have a decent amp. My girlfriend gave me a birthday present. A DiMarzio Model P pickup and a nice Marshall combo amp proudly made in the UK ;) . Now I am married with a 5 year old son and 4 MIJ basses, 3 of those were bought by my wife.............who also gave me that Marshall amp almost 13 years ago :P I love my wife!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='416445' date='Feb 21 2009, 11:45 PM']Well, that's up to you but I wouldn't spend that much or in fact anything at all on a wedding. Just live together or if for some bizarre reason you must be married it's £24 I think at the register office.[/quote]

£30. Each. Thieving gits.
And that's just to post your bans or whatever they call it when you register your intention to marry.

I'm getting married in our parish church, but a mate of mine is having a civil ceremony and they want another £360 to turn up and do the wedding. £420! I could buy a nice bass for that!

[quote name='Golchen' post='416494' date='Feb 22 2009, 09:38 AM']This sounds terrible, but once I bought a secondhand guitar, had it delivered to work, dismantled it and took the bits home over a couple of days, and then announced that I was going to 'make something up out of spare parts that I have lying around".

It worked.[/quote]

Superb, I'll have to remember that one... ;)

It worked.[/quote]

You sir are an inspiration!!

Don't see why people spend so much on weddings, seems to be a competition to out do someone elses all the time. Surely very far from the point of the whole thing?

Course , what we really need are several wives.

Nice big solid , heavy one with a decent bottom end to drag round the pubs.

One with a smaller body and slimmer profile that's a bit more versatile for more classy venues

One to experiment on at home to learn new tricks but goes behind the sofa when Top Gear's on.

and one that's active whenever you flick a switch but , if left alone , doesn't run her batteries down and expect us to finish the tune she's playing the moment we walk in.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='melvin' post='417122' date='Feb 23 2009, 07:06 AM']Back in college during the mid '90s , I used to have McDonald® burger for lunch to save money for a new bass. I finally got one Yamaha RBX but didn't have a decent amp. My girlfriend gave me a birthday present. A DiMarzio Model P pickup and a nice Marshall combo amp proudly made in the UK ;) . Now I am married with a 5 year old son and 4 MIJ basses, 3 of those were bought by my wife.............who also gave me that Marshall amp almost 13 years ago :P I love my wife![/quote]

I think we all love your wife, or rather, would love to have a wife like yours.

yes, but tell her you MUST have a custom bass, coz some of your mates on BassChat have them ;)