Why become a member? ×

My wife says I don't need another bass.

edstraker123

Just debating the merits of buying another bass with my wife who cannot understand why I need another one I currently have 4 and an acoustic and the same number of guitars but I bet this is a modest collection compared to some other basschatters. Please can somebody else tell me how many guitars they have in their collections so I can prove that it is not an obsession and is quite normal !

Edited by edstraker123

I have 7 basses and 4 guitars, (plus another bass that's currently in France - don't ask!).

And my son, who posts on here as LWTAIT, has another three basses and a guitar.

So Mrs1964 has to put up with a collection of 15 guitars and basses in the house. We also have a 2 drum kits and sax belonging to my youngest son. And a piano.

So your misses has nothing to worry about!

Edited by simon1964

Can't help you there. I had two at one time, which my wife thought was ridiculous. She had a point. So, I sold one and am quite happy with the one I have left. I know I'm an exception on this forum, but everyone else is a bit odd here. How many basses can you play at once anyway?

I had this very discussion with my girlfriend the other day.

Me- I'm just nipping into town to play some basses, I'm thinking about getting another one.
Her- but you have 2 already
me- but I want another one
her- why?
me- its like having more than one set of shoes, one pair just won't suit every mood and outfit.
her- oh, I see.

I think she is really starting to understand, she's the best

[quote name='stevie' post='414627' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:16 PM']....I had two at one time, which my wife thought was ridiculous. She had a point....[/quote]
Oh no she didn't!!! How many handbags has she got?

My missus has 8 dolls houses and 3 dolls house kits, which haven't been made up yet, so she doesn't complain about my cabs and basses.

You have a job right? Therefore just say to her that it's your job and your money and if she wants to tell you what to buy then she should get her own job which is better paying than your job so you're constantly begging her for money then she'll know how you feel when she does the same and then has the NERVE to tell you what you should and should not buy (within reason that is)

also the builder and the trowel thing, you could use that analogy to justify buying other gear such as amps and fx. After all "a builder can't build a house with just a trowel!"

btw anyone remember the guy with 40 basses?

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='stevie' post='414701' date='Feb 19 2009, 08:25 PM']Hey, it has its compensations![/quote]

They seem quite far and few between compared to the amount of times I've seen guys say "Wife has told me to sell my favourite bass because I already have one!" or "The Wife won't let me buy a pick guard because I don't need one", jeez, don't say you threw away all of your man points when you tied the knot?

I asked why we needed more than one kid? We have 4.

As far as instruments go, I want it I buy it. After all, I'm paying the morgage and earning all the money. Hence I have 3 keyboards, 2 acoustic guitars, 2 chapman sticks, 3 basses, 7 electric guitars, an electronic drumkit and two further electric guitars in pieces. besides, it does the kids good to go hungry occasionally .............