Why become a member? ×

The Must-Have Accessory for the modern bassist

Silvia Bluejay

My favourite colour is mint* green. While I have no basses in that colour for one reason or another, @Happy Jack has no fewer than two. The supercool curly lead is his Christmas present to me - but I'm so going to lend it to him at the next Damo And The Dynamites gig, when he'll be playing the Lull for a few numbers. :D 😎

*a.k.a. SURF green. 😉

Mint Green Bonanza (2).jpg

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 10

Looks like a Bullet lead? I have one that I bought a few years ago and used it on a gig when an old guitarists came up to me and said the curly leads from the 70`s were rubbish, thinking that it was one of those.

I explained that it was brand new with a 44 magnum bullet casing at each end. Impressed him no end.

• Like 1

I owned two fender curly leads. The first one just didn't work when I used it for the first time and the second one, I got as a replacement, sucked all the top end out of my sound.

I gave it away.

I now use a Fender custom shop lead (a straight one), so I don't have a thing against Fender, but make sure @happy jack has replacement with him, when he gigs with his curly lead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Looks like a Bullet lead? I have one that I bought a few years ago and used it on a gig when an old guitarists came up to me and said the curly leads from the 70`s were rubbish, thinking that it was one of those.

I explained that it was brand new with a 44 magnum bullet casing at each end. Impressed him no end.

I have two of those ... bought them years ago.

They're good, but they're unbelievably heavy.

They look great, although the fact they are fender leads would put me off. I love the look of the newer fender leads (the black and white stitched ones) but I haven't and don't know anyone I have played with who hasn't had them fail when playing. Lucky they have a replace when fail policy, the guitarist is on their third. I am on my second but won't gig it any more.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

The weight and additional tension of the coil as it expands places unnecessary stress on the part of the cable which meets the jack, so you get constant flexing between the immovable and swinging parts of the cable which creates a break point dramatically shortening the life of the cable. If you hook it behind the strap (as one should) and through an cab handle you just move those stresses flex nodes somewhere else with the same end result.