Why become a member? ×

The Must-Have Accessory for the modern bassist

Silvia Bluejay

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve been using Fender leads for a few years now and never had any problems. I’ve got the regular black cable, the black & white stitched cable and the tweed cable, all have been fine.

I've had a few Fender cloth covered non-curly leads and all have failed within a year. I didn't know there was a 'replace when fail' policy, so I just chucked them when they died.

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The weight and additional tension of the coil as it expands places unnecessary stress on the part of the cable which meets the jack, so you get constant flexing between the immovable and swinging parts of the cable which creates a break point dramatically shortening the life of the cable. If you hook it behind the strap (as one should) and through an cab handle you just move those stresses flex nodes somewhere else with the same end result.

I always do that (not that it helped the fender cable). Or you can take to extreme like Rick Parfits guitar, with a hole drilled through the body.

27 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I've had a few Fender cloth covered non-curly leads and all have failed within a year. I didn't know there was a 'replace when fail' policy, so I just chucked them when they died.

Yes, as I found out (as the first was a present), you can actually take them to any fender lead dealer and they will just swap it for a new one. Which is great as a policy but would be good if you didn't need it. I have a whirlwind lead I found in a shared house that had been left when a previous occupant moved in 1991. I don't even know if the company is still going, but the lead is fine.

28 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, as I found out (as the first was a present), you can actually take them to any fender lead dealer and they will just swap it for a new one. Which is great as a policy but would be good if you didn't need it.

I'll have to ask my music shop owning friend if this still applies, I might have a couple in the loft!