Why become a member? ×

Better gear?

Bilbo

I have two types of GAS.

One is driven by simple curiosity ... I wonder what it's like to play a 5-string / shortscale / cheapo / etc. (delete as appropriate). As long as I pay sensible prices, I know I can recover (most) of the cost later once my curiosity is satisfied.

The other is driven by my own limitations. I try to play something and can't. Is it me, or is it my kit? Maybe a better bass / amp / cabinet / etc. would make THE difference.

My solution to that has been to buy a category-killer. For example, my main cabinet is an Eden D210XLT. Others may make claims for better cabs and they may be right, but there's no way that I can blame a bad sound on that cab. If it sounds like crap, then it HAS to be my fault and I need to do something to correct it.

Believe it or not I don't GAS for gear, to me it's just a means to an end and the day I stop gigging - which is the only motivation I have to play an instrument, is the day I sell everything and move on.

I've gone through a lot of gear changes in the past 4 years not knowing what I liked or needed. Often I'd buy a bass or amp after a quick twang in a shop or whatever only to find it was absolutely useless to me in a live band situation and in those circumstances, I'd sell it straight away. Hence the rapid turnover of equipment in Springfield.

Now, after 4 years of frenetic activity in the For Sale section I now know what I like / need - and I'm pretty sure I've got it. I started playing guitar in the early 60's and throughout my six string career, you wouldn't see me with anything much different from a Strat going straight into a 2x12 valve combo - that's what worked for me.

Sure I look at gear and think wow that's nice but I don't feel compelled to get the wallet out any more.

Hmmm

Ive gone the other way regarding GAS and gear...I just want one instrument to create MY sound,Ive tried,making different sounds for different bands,and found it....for me..a waste of time..I learnt that ,to change sounds to fit,didnt work..its to...to...its chasing,I dont want to do everything,its fake,and a lie....SO I did summat mad

I just made my sound,and that was it,if a band didnt like it,thats fine,hire the next guy,it sure isolated me,but when I found the bands that wanted me,and my sound,we played the house down....It didnt fit some situations,and was not ment to,but when it did,it slays...

SO many are fad followers,this 'thing' does this....this box will give you that..its bull,the rule on gear is simple...Buy quality,buy once,buy crap,buy twice.

I know there's slings and arrows on here over Warwick,or Fender or whoever....or 4 vs any number of strings.......brands,woods,nut materials..outboard gear,whatever,its all sh*t....to discuss,though fun,is a waste,unless you plug it in and go yea or nay..its just wasted air and stress.

Buy what works for you,and be happy.

EDIT* I dont even visit shops for instruments anymore.

Edited by ARGH

For me it has always been about looks. The vast majority of basses I have owned have been beautiful: whether it was my minty Rick 4003 Blue Boy or 30th anniversary stingray, looks have dominated my decisions.

The reason i went with the Gold Warmoth was that I wanted something with every good feature I have had on a bass and make it something amazing to look at. Its very much a 'hey everybody, look at me' kind of bass and was purely intentional as I am a huge show-off. I'm not big headed but I'm not afraid to let people know that i show-off.

Ampwise, my recent driving force has been smaller and lighter gear but still powerful to handle gigs with no PA support.

When I as young it was all about having what my favourite player at the time had - the black Musicman SR5 and Gallien 800RB during my Flea Phase, Rick 4003 for Yes and so on.

Then I decided that I didn't like certain basses so out went Jazzes and for a long time actives as well. It became all about a powerful passive tone which I've also captured on the Warmoth. now and again I'll use an active bass but I'm mainly about passives these days.

Right at this minute its all about Warwick basses since acquiring my 5 string $$ Corvette at the weekend. I've owned a Thumb NT5 and couldn't handle the neck dive, the streamer stage I 5 string only comes as a broadneck so I've narrowed down a possible next purchase to either an active bubinga Corvette 5 or a streamer stage II 5 string.

This could change in the next couple of weeks.

I've always promised myself a Streamer, a Yamaha BB5000a, CAR precision with maple board & a maple board fretless precision. I've been lucky to own every other bass I've ever wanted to own.

The thing is that when I'm gigging regularly I'm happy with my gear but the longer the gaps between gigs, the more I start to get restless, possibly due to forgetting how good my gear actually is.

I find that getting new gear is a real thrill! It's exciting, it spurs my playing off to greater heights (whatever instrument it is). What's more, the thrill of the chase is great too. You have money in your pocket and spend a long time trying stuff and looking out for just the right thing. I've been scouring the for sale section for a bass for the past 5 months with cash in hand!

*Looks around the group*... "Hi, my name's Richard & I have a Status addiction..."

Nah, not really! I just know what I like. Simple as that! I don't see anything wrong with GAS, unless you're spending what you can't afford.

In my case, all my instruments are working tools that earn me money, so I can justify my purchases. They all cover different kinds of job, too & I've definitely sold on everything that has fallen into disuse, including a barely played KingBass late last year.

I think that in terms of a working musician like myself, there's nothing wrong with buying what you want if it can be justified and earns it's keep. On the other side of the coin, I visited the Moo (my mate Matt in London) the other day & he's purely a collector with 9 Status basses, an Alembic, a JayDee, etc, etc. Is there anything wrong with the magpie syndrome if you have the money?

I liked WOT's little comment about, "What if..." That's happened to me too, but I usually end up selling the goods later. I think I'll just stick to what I know!

Rich.

[i]Now, about that Sadowsky...............[/i]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

In the couple of years I was learning to play properly and sorting out my stuff I bought loads of odds and ends of gear, just to try them out and learn what they did. Then I bought a much bigger rig. Then I got into a band and it turned out to be totally unsuitable, but I had learned a lot. And I snapped up a lot of bargains through opportunism rather than a need to own that particular piece of kit, I played with it, seen what it does and movedit on. I plan on continuing to do this, as I'm still finding tweaks that please me in unexpected places.

That said, after all the gear I've bought and sold I still play a (heavily modded maybe £100 worth) Johnson P bass copy into and amp and cab that cost me £125 (luck). The pedals were considerable more, since there is so much space to fiddle with them for not much outlay. I do get asked why I don't play a Fender into an Ampeg a fair bit, and I'd like to, but I'd not like it a grand more than I like my current stuff, and if I'd started off with that, I know a lot less about it. There are people who play a lot better than me, through a lot better stuff than me, who ask me about gear, so I guess I've learn a fair bit.

My name is Skank and I'm a GASaholic. ([i]Damn[/i] that Gasahol!)

Maybe I'm alone in this, but the only reasons I've (possibly) not seen quoted are the ones that afflict me:

* I'm greedy and I want more of what I like
* My life will be incomplete without (item here)
* I'll be a much better player if I buy that new (item here)
* I'll sound just like (artist) if I buy that new (item here)
* I'll be a more fully-rounded human being, easier to live with and kinder to strangers if I can just buy that new (item here)
* I'll never need another one
* If I buy this, my search is over

And, of course, I'm wrong.

Every other justification I've ever had is just spurious rationalisation of my ugly acquisitiveness and reflects my desolate inner self.

So who's with me for the 12-step GAS programme?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='alexclaber' post='386329' date='Jan 20 2009, 04:12 PM']The thing is, if you're thinking about your gear when you're playing music then you should really be playing better music![/quote]
[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='386366' date='Jan 20 2009, 04:33 PM']amen[/quote]

COUGHCOUGHCOUGHmulti-taskingCOUGHCOUGH ;)

IMO, If you're serious about music then you need to be independent and that extends to transportation. there's no point in having the most immense rig in the world if you're dependant on mates or parents to lug it around for you.

There's also no point in blowing money on a rig that's totally inappropriate for the kind of venue you play.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='386272' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:42 PM']My GAS is fuelled by two words.

'What if...?'[/quote]

+1!

Good post Bilbo. As I've just said to someone I sometimes think I'm possessed by John Entwistle (RIP) because I go through so many phases. I think one of my problems is because I listen to so many different kinds of music, and like to be able to play/get a sound to fit that style (although paradoxically tend to favour others who have a real sound and voice of their own), there's always something else to get to do a specific job. Or at least that's what the devil on my shoulder keeps telling me. ;)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='386670' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:20 PM']My name is Skank and I'm a GASaholic. ([i]Damn[/i] that Gasahol!)

Maybe I'm alone in this, but the only reasons I've (possibly) not seen quoted are the ones that afflict me:

* I'm greedy and I want more of what I like
* My life will be incomplete without (item here)
* I'll be a much better player if I buy that new (item here)
* I'll be a more fully-rounded human being, easier to live with and kinder to strangers if I can just buy that new (item here)
* I'll never need another one
* If I buy this, my search is over

And, of course, I'm wrong.

Every other justification I've ever had is just spurious rationalisation of my ugly acquisitiveness and reflects my desolate inner self.

So who's with me for the 12-step GAS programme?[/quote]

;)

Yep, that's me too...

[quote name='ARGH' post='386536' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:44 PM']Ive gone the other way regarding GAS and gear...I just want one instrument to create MY sound,Ive tried,making different sounds for different bands,and found it....for me..a waste of time..[/quote]

I think there's a lot of wisdom in that approach. Using one instrument helps develop muscle memory and I've found that also allows me to think less about adjusting to the instrument and more about choosing how to play it. I just need one that can cover a wide number of basses.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='386552' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:53 PM']The thing is that when I'm gigging regularly I'm happy with my gear but the longer the gaps between gigs, the more I start to get restless, possibly due to forgetting how good my gear actually is.[/quote]

And here endeth the lesson....ain't that just the truth!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='386688' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:33 PM']I think there's a lot of wisdom in that approach. Using one instrument helps develop muscle memory and I've found that also allows me to think less about adjusting to the instrument and more about choosing how to play it. I just need one that can cover a wide number of basses.[/quote]

I played better 4 or 5 years ago when the only bass I owned was a Streamer Std and I played directly into a Trace combo – I was well beyond what Rockschool classed as grade 8. Since then I’ve owned about 6 different basses and it’s felt like I’ve had to relearn so much. I've become a bit of a gear slut and bought and sold loads of stuff and completely changed my setup twice in the last year, and I feel that it's only had a negative impact on my playing. I think there’s a lot to be said for keeping it simple.

Good post this. I reckon it makes us all think about what we're doing with regards to gear and actually playing. I've done a lot of growing up in the last few years and been as guilty as most in the past with GAS.

I sold 5 guitars and basses in the last three months to get my "dream" bass although I had wanted it for quite some time, I was sad to see some stuff go (like the Robben Ford Fender Esprit) but then, after realising I hadn't taken it out of the case for 2 years, it didn't seem so bad as I don't gig or dep on guitar anymore.

With regard to "Does it make you play any better" There is always a possibility that if you're happy in the head with your gear, it obviously affects your attitude to playing. When we buy a new bass, I, for one, will admit to picking it up all the time and the old "best bass" gets left to one side. It encourages me to practice more as I'm enjoying the instrument more so I think it can have a positive effect.

Apart from that last major bass purchase, I changed my rig last year purely down to weight problems so I see that as something I had to do at my age. I see what you're getting at though but even the most thrifty and sensible among us would be straight on the phone to Fodera or Alembic if we won the lottery.

[quote name='leschirons' post='387025' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:47 PM']I see what you're getting at though but even the most thrifty and sensible among us would be straight on the phone to Fodera [size=5][b]or[/b][/size] Alembic if we won the lottery.[/quote]

"OR"?? f*** it, if my 6 number came up I'd get one of each with fretless versions of both, not cos I need them, or because it would improve my playing or my sound, and not because I'd even play them, but just because I'm filthy stinking rich and I can :P ;)

If I won the lottery it'd either go on bass gear and cars or drugs and women, so realistically I'd be doing myself a favour by spending copious amounts of it on bass gear that I'd never use :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='386670' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:20 PM']Maybe I'm alone in this, but the only reasons I've (possibly) not seen quoted are the ones that afflict me:

...[/quote]

I sort-of do that with effects. I'll chase sounds from other records sometimes if I think there must be a way to do it, when it would've been cheaper to just buy a synth...

[quote name='leschirons' post='387025' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:47 PM']even the most thrifty and sensible among us would be straight on the phone to Fodera or Alembic if we won the lottery.[/quote]

I think Foderas and Alembics look a bit tacky tbh. Very 'lottery winner' now that you mention it. ;)

I think my GAS stems from the fact that manufacturers keep adding new features and upgrades. I'm also a sucker for advertising.

Sometimes these new features seem to fix problems with my current gear that I never knew I had i.e. suddenly my amp really starts to feel heavy for 300 Watts when I can get a 500 Watt head which fits in my bass case.

The thing that stops me from buying all this gear (apart from the lack of money) is that I'm quite strict with myself on purchases. My theory is this: If I like the look of something now, I'll like it in a years time when I've saved up for it. Usually by the time I've put a bit of money together something has come out with a new feature which I never knew I was missing.

I've know people who have spent a small fortune on gear and they are still unhappy with their sound. Buy something which gives you a good sound, if you like the look of something else - do you NEED it, or do you just WANT it?

[quote name='peted' post='387138' date='Jan 21 2009, 09:04 AM']I've know people who have spent a small fortune on gear and they are still unhappy with their sound. Buy something which gives you a good sound, if you like the look of something else - do you NEED it, or do you just WANT it?[/quote]

I've spent a fair bit on gear, but it's all wildly different, and looks,plays and sounds [i]wildly[/i] different!
I've been fortunate with regard to finances from time to time, but only once have purchased on credit.
Otherwise, I've never spent what I didn't have, and what I've purchased in the past is all well-used, but in good nick.
Also, I've rarely paid list price for a bass or amp...
Some of it has been a complete bargain. I won't even say what I've been offered for one item compared to what I paid for it!
Can't really see the harm, unless the wood was sourced form non-sustainable sources!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='386272' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:42 PM']My GAS is fuelled by two words.

'What if...?'[/quote]
That's what gets me too. But I've promised myself, that after Sunday's little trip (wait and see you lot!) I will be GAS free for 2009-2011 at least. Unless a Trace V-Type Preamp comes up, in which case I'm 'avin' it! ;)

there's no better feeling than getting a new bass home for the first time,for me anyhow,coupled to the fact i just love looking at basses.
also i'm very impulsive,i can be reading a book which has a photo of say a really nice Jazz/Precision & i just have to have one like it,can't help myself.
i know it won't make me a better player but what the hell I NEED IT.

Edited by artisan