Why become a member? ×

Using you fine people for a bit of market research :)

sam_

This is kind of turning into a discussion about ramps rather than the viability of a business concept!

Never tried one but I'd be interested in experimenting - however: I am an occasional pick player - in fact probably 25% - 50% of the time realistically. I'm also a heavy-handed fingers player - I like to dig in hard specifically to get the attack from doing so. I think a ramp would interfere with this.

If I got curious enough, I'd make one myself (they're not exactly complicated) and fit it in an easily-removable way.

Jon.

Like several others, I'm a finger-style player who occasionally plays with a pick (when the situation warrants) so a ramp (even removable) would be more of a hindrance than a help. I also tend to play two pup style basses with my favoured position over the rear pup, if I need to loosen up the tone I have the neck pup to anchor on (either pup is jacked up VERY close to the strings so my fingers stop on the pup itself), so I've no need for a ramp. I do own one bass with no pups (Variaxe) but that has a long bar to rest on and the lack of ramp is just something you get used to if you use that particular bass.

'IF' basses had always been supplied with a ramp we may well have a different mindset re. ramps and their benefits but as it happens I think that the target audience for a ramp is quite small!

Personally, I wouldn't like a ramp. I played a ramp-equipped bass recently, and it interfered with my right-hand fingers (fortunately not with the left-hand ones, that could have been nasty). I'm sure they're useful for some players, but I am not among the "some".

You would probably find more people interested over on Talkbs.

More of them go for those than probably would here.

I've voted no.

I watched a lot of Billy Sheehan videos a while back and what he does is jack the pickups really high and wedge stuff between them so they are solid. When he plays a string, his finger comes to rest on the pickup.

I used to do that, in fact before I watched the videos come to mention it. It was really good in that, I felt it helped me play faster due to the fingers traveling a shorter distance but I could not get the same attack that I like.

I am a very heavy player, so much so that I have to use the active pad switch on my amp.

Even though it helped me play faster, I wouldn't have one as it hindered me achieving my trademark sound.

Are you actually planning on doing this or is it all hypothetical?

[quote name='sam_' post='346798' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:04 PM'][url="http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html"]http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html[/url][/quote]

who is Gary Willis?

Voted 'no'. I like to batter f*** out of my bass.

Although I'm a big fan of ramps, I've voted no.

The most recent custom bass I had made has a ramp, but it was part of the design of the bass to give a near uniform surface from the end of the fingerboard to the bridge pickup:

It was done because I like the feeling of playing over the fingerboard on fretless basses but because of this I was missing out on tones by not moving my right-hand position. This bass solves all those problems for me.

Looking at my other fretless bass that might now benefit from a similar treatment I'm thinking that it wouldn't be easy - especially on those that have a radiused top.

I also play with a pick, but I use a different bas for that.