Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

1 hour ago, lonestar said:

I had a brainwave half way around. Why didn’t  I bring my little VoX Amplug and headphones so I could try instruments out without all the din ?Will try this next time.

That's what I did, but even with new batteries and the volume up to 11, the general racket made it difficult to get a good sense of the tone. It was a definite improvement over crouching in front of a speaker, though.

After trying a few instruments, I just concentrated on how they felt to play. Spent quite a while playing the Chowny NT5; I think that'll be my first choice when I need a backup gigging bass. Lovely instrument.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

That's what I did, but even with new batteries and the volume up to 11, the general racket made it difficult to get a good sense of the tone. It was a definite improvement over crouching in front of a speaker, though.

After trying a few instruments, I just concentrated on how they felt to play. Spent quite a while playing the Chowny NT5; I think that'll be my first choice when I need a backup gigging bass. Lovely instrument.

Picking up on @lonestar's post, for those using IEMs with their bands, just bring along your headphones and wired "pack" - which makes a super way of auditioning basses with the necessary amount of ambient noise rejection to hear what you are doing! I had mine out on my desk ready to put on before I left. (which is what I will do next time, IF I can get there gahhhhh!!!!!) 

For reference I have @64 Audio IEMs and I am using the Fischer Stick wired headphone pack that can accept mono or stereo signals across 1/4" or XLR input types. Behringer have created a virtual copy of this known as the P2, albeit on a huge budget cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

Yes I thought that may be the case.

chowny basses look great but didn’t get to lay hands on one unfortunately. I also like the look of that white Anaconda Jazz type bass  across the way

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dood said:

Picking up on @lonestar's post, for those using IEMs with their bands, just bring along your headphones and wired "pack" - which makes a super way of auditioning basses with the necessary amount of ambient noise rejection to hear what you are doing! I had mine out on my desk ready to put on before I left. (which is what I will do next time, IF I can get there gahhhhh!!!!!) 

For reference I have @64 Audio IEMs and I am using the Fischer Stick wired headphone pack that can accept mono or stereo signals across 1/4" or XLR input types. Behringer have created a virtual copy of this known as the P2, albeit on a huge budget cut.

Yes sorry not to see you there Dan, nor any other basschatter lanyards for that matter. 

I’ve never been able to get on with IEMs tbh but can definitely see the value of them and why lots swear by them. I found that I spent more time swearing at them.

1 hour ago, lonestar said:

Yes sorry not to see you there Dan, nor any other basschatter lanyards for that matter. 

I’ve never been able to get on with IEMs tbh but can definitely see the value of them and why lots swear by them. I found that I spent more time swearing at them.

Funnily, I ended up swearing at "universal" IEMs as they keep falling out of my ears all the time, so yes, I understand that. I think I have narrow canals and even the smallest size foam tips would fit correctly. I made the switch to moulded units and everything has been fine and dandy since. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MisterT said:

I didn't turn up in the end, and now you've posted that... gaaah!

Eric is an absolute legend and a great guy.  Cody joined him on stage, and rarely do you see such intuitive and masterful improvisation and connection between musicians...  It was amazing to see.

Cody toured with Eric a while back, so you could see they work well together.  Eric has Byron Carter in the EGB now, who has a completely different vibe to Cody, I'd say has big fat bootsy gospel tone at his roots...  I love both their playing...  and Eric is quite good too! ;)🤣

6 hours ago, MoJoKe said:

Eric is an absolute legend and a great guy.  Cody joined him on stage, and rarely do you see such intuitive and masterful improvisation and connection between musicians...  It was amazing to see.

Cody toured with Eric a while back, so you could see they work well together.  Eric has Byron Carter in the EGB now, who has a completely different vibe to Cody, I'd say has big fat bootsy gospel tone at his roots...  I love both their playing...  and Eric is quite good too! ;)🤣

Amen - I've watched the two of them on YouTube a few times and this one I keep going back to ... and to quote Eric near the end "I'm having the time of my life"...

I skipped the Bass Show this year, but caught Eric Gales' trio with Cody and Nick Hayes at Nells in Kensington a couple of years ago. Honestly the best 3 piece you could imagine. I was gutted when he came back this year with a different line-up, they were a phenomenal blend 

8 hours ago, MoJoKe said:

i never knew that, and i never herd ,, i guess the chat on bass chats site  was so negative Before the bash ,, we all forgot our lines when we Went ;D

well, i never saw any events at the bash ,, unless its TM Stevens eg someone who wears the same pockets , paul turner ? , i let them do their own thing ,,

it must have been a slightly bigger gig for gales tho ,, to know people who were round at the same time & place as hendrix ,, were in the bass corner ; D ,, i guess gales could feel it # maybe he could do with a touch of the funk monsters in his world #

ps

Gallien-Krueger and Warrick had it all sewn up guys

thanks

Edited by Bean9seventy

2 hours ago, MisterT said:

Amen - I've watched the two of them on YouTube a few times and this one I keep going back to ... and to quote Eric near the end "I'm having the time of my life"...

i could battle the guitarist ,, i had a band it was a bit like this ,

i used to walk round like miles davis with the bass pointing to the floor and sounded like a working digging the road up ; D

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NickD said:

I skipped the Bass Show this year, but caught Eric Gales' trio with Cody and Nick Hayes at Nells in Kensington a couple of years ago. Honestly the best 3 piece you could imagine. I was gutted when he came back this year with a different line-up, they were a phenomenal blend 

Byron Carter did a stunning job with him at Nell's a few months back...  He has a more gospel approach to his playing, which does work well for the EGB I think...

• Like 1

On 23/09/2019 at 08:56, lonestar said:

Why didn’t  I bring my little VoX Amplug and headphones so I could try instruments out without all the din ?Will try this next time.

That's exactly what I did! I have one for bass, one for (whisper it) guitar....that way I didn't have to listen to guitarists going WHEEEEWIDDLYWIDDLYWIDDLYWHEEEE!! at top volume, or other bassists going SLAP SLAPPITY TAPPY SLAPPY TAP all day.

I thought the show was OK. I thought that there were too few exhibitors, I didn't think much of the idea of sticking the luthier's talks over in one corner of the main exhibition area rather than in a room of their own. The bass I would like to have walked out with was the blue Willcock Mullarkey n the picture. The one that I nearly did walk out with was the Phil Lynott-stylee Bass Collection Power Bass.

To be honest, despite a pleasant chat with the bloke at the Spector stand,  Shergold's guy passing on the welcome news that they will return to selling basses next Spring, and bumping into @Jean-Luc Pickguard, it was for a long while more than a little ho-hum. But, after having my brain bashed by Nik Preston with Music Theory at a workshop on improvisation, then meeting up with @Silvia Bluejay at a presentation by Alex Claber of Barefaced, things were looking up.

And then I went to the Patitucci performance. When I sat down, I noticed on the stage a Nord keyboard as well as that 6-string bass of his, so at least it wasn't going to be like Gary Willis last year, playing along with tracks off his laptop. I was remarkably pleased when JP came on and brought with him Gwilym Simcock, one of Britain's best jazz pianists IMHO. They played a set for which I would happily have paid ten times the price of my £5 entrance fee to the Auditorium, had it been at Ronnie Scott's, Pizza Express Soho,  or the like. It was definitely one of the best performances that I have EVER seen at one of these kind of shows.

Once that was over, I tried to hang around for a little while to talk to Gwilym, whom I know a bit from Impossible Gentlemen gigs; however, the organisers were moving people out. Just as well really, because as a result, I was able to sneak into the back stalls at @Steve Lawson's workshop on Fretlessness - sadly on at the same time as Mr. Patitucci's performance, but I managed to catch the overlap.

Best bit was yet to come, though - as I went down to the main exhibition hall again, out past me walked Messrs. Simcock & Patitucci, so I said hello to Gwilym as he walked by, and then got introduced to JP, and then Shez Raja turned up and talked to me, and all of a sudden I was surrounded by top class musicians, me in the middle, chatting away like I belonged....... old age fanboy or what? Anyway, it turned a reasonable but relatively ordinary show into something worth remembering for me. If the organisers could arrange a similar experience for next year, I'd buy my ticket now! 🤣🤣

Willcock bass.jpg

.DS_Store

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, mangotango said:

That's exactly what I did! I have one for bass, one for (whisper it) guitar....that way I didn't have to listen to guitarists going WHEEEEWIDDLYWIDDLYWIDDLYWHEEEE!! at top volume, or other bassists going SLAP SLAPPITY TAPPY SLAPPY TAP all day.

I thought the show was OK. I thought that there were too few exhibitors, I didn't think much of the idea of sticking the luthier's talks over in one corner of the main exhibition area rather than in a room of their own. The bass I would like to have walked out with was the blue Willcock Mullarkey n the picture. The one that I nearly did walk out with was the Phil Lynott-stylee Bass Collection Power Bass.

To be honest, despite a pleasant chat with the bloke at the Spector stand,  Shergold's guy passing on the welcome news that they will return to selling basses next Spring, and bumping into @Jean-Luc Pickguard, it was for a long while more than a little ho-hum. But, after having my brain bashed by Nik Preston with Music Theory at a workshop on improvisation, then meeting up with @Silvia Bluejay at a presentation by Alex Claber of Barefaced, things were looking up.

And then I went to the Patitucci performance. When I sat down, I noticed on the stage a Nord keyboard as well as that 6-string bass of his, so at least it wasn't going to be like Gary Willis last year, playing along with tracks off his laptop. I was remarkably pleased when JP came on and brought with him Gwilym Simcock, one of Britain's best jazz pianists IMHO. They played a set for which I would happily have paid ten times the price of my £5 entrance fee to the Auditorium, had it been at Ronnie Scott's, Pizza Express Soho,  or the like. It was definitely one of the best performances that I have EVER seen at one of these kind of shows.

Once that was over, I tried to hang around for a little while to talk to Gwilym, whom I know a bit from Impossible Gentlemen gigs; however, the organisers were moving people out. Just as well really, because as a result, I was able to sneak into the back stalls at @Steve Lawson's workshop on Fretlessness - sadly on at the same time as Mr. Patitucci's performance, but I managed to catch the overlap.

Best bit was yet to come, though - as I went down to the main exhibition hall again, out past me walked Messrs. Simcock & Patitucci, so I said hello to Gwilym as he walked by, and then got introduced to JP, and then Shez Raja turned up and talked to me, and all of a sudden I was surrounded by top class musicians, me in the middle, chatting away like I belonged....... old age fanboy or what? Anyway, it turned a reasonable but relatively ordinary show into something worth remembering for me. If the organisers could arrange a similar experience for next year, I'd buy my ticket now! 🤣🤣

Willcock bass.jpg

.DS_Store 6 kB · 0 downloads

i did not make any B line to JPs circle ,, i herd he was in the public crowd early on , on Saturday ,, i stayed away ,, just in case  things got too funky ; D 

I always say the same thing about JP  when i 1st herd JP i thought he was a guitarist ,, yet JP  is in fact a True bass player a master player who makes it clear in many of his lass lectures he respects the sound of street bass players a lot ,, after all slap  pop and tickle was never invented in a college ,

finally , think some peeps on bass chat were so negative about going to LBGS  ,, telling folks not to go etc ,, when i went , i completely forgot my lines ,; D , from nerves ; D  eg ,

we should have all started jamming  "On The Corner"  guys ;

even " Another One Bites The Dust , ( possible book marked easy bass line & guitar jam for next year) 

fantastic art work & lacquer on The Brain May Stand , my pick of 2019 LBGS , 

thanks guys

20190921_123247.jpg

Edited by Bean9seventy

It was definitely a busy and, at times, highly confusing day. Thank you @mangotango and all the others who stopped me to say hi, comment on what was going on, talk about Basschat, check out the left-handed basses on show with me. That's one of the reasons I enjoy going to the show, no matter what its organisational failings may throw at us.

Speaking of which, did anyone else receive an email this morning 29/09/19 with the subject line 'Final Call for Advance Tickets to the London Bass Guitar Show'?? No, it's not a fake message or a scam, the source for the familiar-looking HTML message looks very much like it's coming from the real thing. (Text here.) It's only, erm, at least eight days too late to be of any use. 😮:facepalm:

16 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

It was definitely a busy and, at times, highly confusing day. Thank you @mangotango and all the others who stopped me to say hi, comment on what was going on, talk about Basschat, check out the left-handed basses on show with me. That's one of the reasons I enjoy going to the show, no matter what its organisational failings may throw at us.

Speaking of which, did anyone else receive an email this morning 29/09/19 with the subject line 'Final Call for Advance Tickets to the London Bass Guitar Show'?? No, it's not a fake message or a scam, the source for the familiar-looking HTML message looks very much like it's coming from the real thing. (Text here.) It's only, erm, at least eight days too late to be of any use. 😮:facepalm:

Yep, I just posted this on the review page. Free TARDIS with every ‘advance’ ticket.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I got that this morning. I think someone must have pressed the wrong button!

• Haha 1