Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2019

Silvia Bluejay

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

I've got a dilemma. To go or not to. The website itself lacks of info ( poorly presented).

I see it as a one big marketing event, nothing appeals to me. 

the brian may stand ,, it includes a brian may bass ??

,, yeah it a marketing  bash for music / musicians like yourself ,,

I made the trip down from Glasgow to go yesterday. I had a pretty enjoyable day.

I liked how it was a mix of guitar and bass, from two perspectives. Firstly, my guitarist mate came and didn’t feel like he was tagging along with me! Secondly, I suspect some interesting exhibitors wouldn’t come to a bass only show.

We went to Paul Gilbert’s masterclass in the morning, and Scott Devine’s in the afternoon. Both were interesting, and my guitarist mate and I agreed they’re advice is mostly transferable between instruments.

I found it quite funny when John Patitucci appeared at the Bass Direct stand while I was in the process of making a purchase... The salesman abandoned me to give JP the VIP treatment and get some photos. Obviously didn’t realise I’m a big deal too!  

We also went to the aftershow at the Lexington, wives in tow. Quite a nice wee gig, certainly makes a change from our usual London trips - where we end up at Leicester Square or some other too busy tourist trap.

Overall, a good day, no complaints from me.

George

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoham said:

I made the trip down from Glasgow to go yesterday. I had a pretty enjoyable day.

I liked how it was a mix of guitar and bass, from two perspectives. Firstly, my guitarist mate came and didn’t feel like he was tagging along with me! Secondly, I suspect some interesting exhibitors wouldn’t come to a bass only show.

We went to Paul Gilbert’s masterclass in the morning, and Scott Devine’s in the afternoon. Both were interesting, and my guitarist mate and I agreed they’re advice is mostly transferable between instruments.

I found it quite funny when John Patitucci appeared at the Bass Direct stand while I was in the process of making a purchase... The salesman abandoned me to give JP the VIP treatment and get some photos. Obviously didn’t realise I’m a big deal too!  

We also went to the aftershow at the Lexington, wives in tow. Quite a nice wee gig, certainly makes a change from our usual London trips - where we end up at Leicester Square or some other too busy tourist trap.

Overall, a good day, no complaints from me.

George

never stayed for the pub bash ,, just in case poachers were hiding behind the stage ,,, bearing in mind when it happened at the jazz cafe ( being attacked on stage )  they were waiting & hiding back stage ( behind the curtains ) 

if people want to see me on bass The LBGS  is a safer environment 

thanks guys

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

never stayed for the pub bash ,, just in case poachers were hiding behind the stage ,,, bearing in mind when it happened at the jazz cafe ( being attacked on stage )  they were waiting & hiding back stage ( behind the curtains ) 

if people want to see me on bass The LBGS  is a safer environment 

thanks guys

???????

11 minutes ago, Stylust said:

Does anyone know the model of the acoustic bass that was on the Ovation stand?  Pretty sure it was the only bass there, yesterday at least, as I didn’t make it there today. 

Had a play and it was pretty amazing, but it was gone 5pm and no one was around the stand. 

0D536D02-4B71-47B8-B6C6-C1F9F52A5360.jpeg

Well, all in all, I had a fab time. I felt much more confident than I did last year - 2018 was the first time I'd been and I felt like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I think the highlights were having a play with the lovely @Chownybassgear - his five-string is on the shopping list for my next bass.

The masterclasses were good, too. I got the most out of Ellen O'Reilly's sessions. Lovely lass and really approachable. Here's a wee pic of me with her and her band.

Roll on next year!

20190922_143123.jpg

Where are the London Bass Guitar T-Shirts? No shirts this year? That is my most important memory from this show to my long and expansive way from germany to london. And this year? Nothing! ...and a show together for bass and guitar-player? It never works! Testing a new bass?  A new amp? Hear hear constantly the fu... noisy guitarsounds. A show specially for bass player? :))) NEVER!!!

I really enjoyed it yesterday, apart from the usual noise. Dave Marks’ and Paul Geary’s workshops were very good. 

I had a brainwave half way around. Why didn’t  I bring my little VoX Amplug and headphones so I could try instruments out without all the din ?Will try this next time.

Here’s me trying  £16,000 worth of ‘66 Jazz. Very nice but nearly a grand a fret !

EA3E8D00-CC89-4CB3-B0B3-9BB43505368C.jpeg