Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Musicman20

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mercury Rising said:

Just pulled the trigger on one of these babies. It's got me thinking about a whole new way of setting up for a gig. Would it be feasible to plug the HX Stomp into a powered bass speaker, something like a Headrush FRFR-108, then from the Headrush into FOH?

Congrats on the new acquisition and joining the expanding BC Stomp club! When's yours due or have you got your hands on it already? 

Edited by Al Krow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something that caught me out, and is obvious I know, but I'd forgotten about it, is to work on your sounds through a speaker(s) which are akin to what you'll use on a gig. I went off all giddy and set up my presets using headphones, then had to readjust them as they were far too bright and fizzy through tweetered PA speakers (FOH), - I took one of the RCF tops home and used that to readjust - then I got caught out again using the Stomp as a traditional effects pedal through my untweetered rig (no DI)...they were all too dull again... 🙄 

So now I've got basically the same presets, doubled up with different EQ for PA or rig...that Copy and Paste thing is verrry useful if you've been a biff like I was... 🙂

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Something that caught me out, and is obvious I know, but I'd forgotten about it, is to work on your sounds through a speaker(s) which are akin to what you'll use on a gig. I went off all giddy and set up my presets using headphones, then had to readjust them as they were far too bright and fizzy through tweetered PA speakers (FOH), - I took one of the RCF tops home and used that to readjust - then I got caught out again using the Stomp as a traditional effects pedal through my untweetered rig (no DI)...they were all too dull again... 🙄 

So now I've got basically the same presets, doubled up with different EQ for PA or rig...that Copy and Paste thing is verrry useful if you've been a biff like I was... 🙂

Yeah been using it exclusively through my rig so should be right. Must admit I’ve only scratched the surface at the minute but reckon I should be able to nail what I need it to do for my live sounds. Pretty impressive stuff! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any mini expression pedal recommendations? I’m planning to split the TRS exp out of the stomp, one will be for a tap tempo/tuner switch and the other is for expression. Should the expression be specifically TS? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ordep said:

any mini expression pedal recommendations? I’m planning to split the TRS exp out of the stomp, one will be for a tap tempo/tuner switch and the other is for expression. Should the expression be specifically TS? 

Unless it says otherwise in the manual, I doubt that would work? Pretty much every single expression pedal I've seen needs 3 pins to work. The mini Dunlop one gets my vote!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Unless it says otherwise in the manual, I doubt that would work? Pretty much every single expression pedal I've seen needs 3 pins to work. The mini Dunlop one gets my vote!

“EXP 1/2, FS 4/5 Connect an expression pedal here to adjust a wide variety of parameters. With a Y-cable (tip-ring-sleeve 1/4" jack, split to two tip-sleeve 1/4" jacks), two expression pedals can be connected. Alternatively, one (or with a Y-cable, two) external footswitches can be added to access additional stomps, presets, snapshots, etc. (FS4=tip, FS5=ring). To set this jack's function(s), see page 41. By default, this jack is set to accommodate a Mission SP1-L6H Line 6 Expression Pedal, which has a toe switch that toggles between EXP 1 (Wah/ Pitch Wham) and EXP 2 (Volume/Pan). For external footswitches, the momentary (unlatched) type should be used.”

2 footswitches or 2 expression pedals can be connected at the same time, so I assumed that I can use one of each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats on the new acquisition and joining the expanding BC Stomp club! When's yours due or have you got your hands on it already? 

Ordered online, yesterday, now wringing my hands waiting for the postie!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a zoom MS 60 thing. I did not love it enough to keep it. But there was one octave down effect which I did love. You could set the octave at the same pitch rather than an octave down and it thickened stuff up really nicely. Does the Helix offer this option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yep. Many variations of it

Uh oh......

Ta 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure it does offer what you're after there - an octaver set to the same pitch as the incoming signal to act as a tonal thickener, a bit like the FEA Growler pedal? If you have an audio interface, get the trial of Helix Native and find out for yourself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I'm not sure it does offer what you're after there - an octaver set to the same pitch as the incoming signal to act as a tonal thickener, a bit like the FEA Growler pedal? If you have an audio interface, get the trial of Helix Native and find out for yourself!

Looks like it should work - Simple Pitch and Dual Pitch both let you use an interval of 0, and then tweak the pitch in 0.2 cent increments, as well as adding a delay from 0.1ms up to 100ms if you want that too. I guess you could even run it in stereo and run either side through different amp sims as long as the rest of the preset was simple enough that you don't run into block / dsp / routing limitations...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

get the trial of Helix Native and find out for yourself!

Winning! Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stoo said:

Looks like it should work - Simple Pitch and Dual Pitch both let you use an interval of 0, and then tweak the pitch in 0.2 cent increments, as well as adding a delay from 0.1ms up to 100ms if you want that too. I guess you could even run it in stereo and run either side through different amp sims as long as the rest of the preset was simple enough that you don't run into block / dsp / routing limitations...

Yeah, it depends on how the model in the MS-60B works, I'm not familiar with it having long ago sold my previous gen Zooms (and I think I recall Owen saying he couldn't get the same effect out of the B3n?).

You could definitely set up a pseudo double tracking effect using subtle pitch-shifting and delay, there's probably even a dedicated effect for that purpose that has some simulated drift in the values applied, like the TC Mimiq. But if the required effect is that of simulating the tone of an analog octaver, which sounds like a synth, but without the octave down, that is a bit niche (the FEA Growler is the only thing I know of that does it, but it's rare and discontinued). You might be able to take the output of the EBS Octabass sim and put that through a natural sounding octave up if you can deal with the latency!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the B3n did not do it. It was purely working as an extra tone which was sitting with the original note in a way which gave it extra grunt/heft/girth/insert your cliche here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I bought HX Stomp last week and have been using it extensively in a variety of settings! At home via an amp, via headphones and then into my DAW (individually and simultaneously with the amp), I've been down the rehearsal room trying it into my amp and into the desk (again both individually and simultaneously) A/B'ing, comparing at volume. I've ran it directly into the 'power amp in' on my amp and used it for all preamp and eq duties V's into the front of the amp, running into the front of the amp with 'fx only' while running the DI to the desk with amp and cab sim engaged etc. I have also, naturally, used it with my band at rehearsal last Sunday. I've pretty much used it in all conceivable application which I might need it!

It's a nice wee unit with a heap of great sounds and I/O options. I'm not gonna keep it though as the gear I have does everything I currently need and comparing the direct sounds against what I have, give or take a bit of eq'ing at the desk, it's far more than I'll ever need and would be wasted on me.

Is it pretty? Yes! Is it a great sounding unit? Yes! Is it intuitive and easy to use? Yes! Is it for me? Nah!

*Some context*

I don't really use of need any effects other than a bit of compression and the occasional drive. I run a Tone Hammer DI which allows me to cop a pretty decent ampeg type vibe either the more scooped SVT sound or a more rounded vintage B-15 thing as needed (great wee pedal)!

None of my three bands really need much in the way of wacky sounds or filth and the two amps I have offer me a good variety of tones between their tube pre amps and on board eq/drive options. The HX Stomp wasn't likely aimed at me as the end user but I can see it's value in a bunch of settings as I think I've pretty much tried them all :)

 

Edited by krispn
Edited for context
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@krispn... two things.

1. Love the fact you've got more expertise with this in 5 days than I have in 5 months;

2. Don't expect it to hang around too long if you're looking to move it on! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

1. Love the fact you've got more expertise with this in 5 days than I have in 5 months;

2. Don't expect it to hang around too long if you're looking to move it on! :)

1. Four days, not five. ;)

2. It's going back to the shop so yeah I'm pretty confident I can move it on.

Plus... It has a Mesa M series bass pre-amp/amp model so it'd be great to hear your thoughts comparing the two if you get round to it and the patch you posted in the HX Stomp tips/advice section didn't show the second page of the menu so it wasn't sure which band pass filter etc you had on opted for. Might be worth an update for folks.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, krispn said:

So I bought HX Stomp last week and have been using it extensively in a variety of settings! At home via an amp, via headphones and then into my DAW (individually and simultaneously with the amp), I've been down the rehearsal room trying it into my amp and into the desk (again both individually and simultaneously) A/B'ing, comparing at volume. I've ran it directly into the 'power amp in' on my amp and used it for all preamp and eq duties V's into the front of the amp, running into the front of the amp with 'fx only' while running the DI to the desk with amp and cab sim engaged etc. I have also, naturally, used it with my band at rehearsal last Sunday. I've pretty much used it in all conceivable application which I might need it!

It's a nice wee unit with a heap of great sounds and I/O options. I'm not gonna keep it though as the gear I have does everything I currently need and comparing the direct sounds against what I have, give or take a bit of eq'ing at the desk, it's far more than I'll ever need and would be wasted on me.

Is it pretty? Yes! Is it a great sounding unit? Yes! Is it intuitive and easy to use? Yes! Is it for me? Nah!

*Some context*

I don't really use of need any effects other than a bit of compression and the occasional drive. I run a Tone Hammer DI which allows me to cop a pretty decent ampeg type vibe either the more scooped SVT sound or a more rounded vintage B-15 thing as needed (great wee pedal)!

None of my three bands really need much in the way of wacky sounds or filth and the two amps I have offer me a good variety of tones between their tube pre amps and on board eq/drive options. The HX Stomp wasn't likely aimed at me as the end user but I can see it's value in a bunch of settings as I think I've pretty much tried them all :)

 

This is exactly the reason why I haven't tried the Helix yet - I have a good preamp with some pedals going into the PA and power amp/cabs for the rock band (Mesa Subway), and for the studio I use a good tube preamp.

That's all I need. 

However, if the Helix stomp could replace my entire pedal board (envelope/octave/vol pedal/comp) that would be something to think about...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xroads said:

 if the Helix stomp could replace my entire pedal board (envelope/octave/vol pedal/comp) that would be something to think about...

It definitely can do all of those things and do them VERY well. Whether you think it can do them better, or in a smaller footprint, is a matter of debate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone shed any light about the quality of the effects in this please? I’m wondering how they stand up against high quality separates like OD, Envelope Filter, Octave. 

Past experience tells me that DSP FX are usually quantity over quality and far from the quality of separates. but perhaps things have moved on and they are getting closer? (I don’t expect them to be as good, but I could be wrong...). 

Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Processing in the Stomp is identical to tht in the full fat helix. And there are literally hundreds of comparisons on youtube for that. To my ear its verry VERY good at drives, but not so great at filters/octaves.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so very close to pulling the trigger on one of these bad boys. Just about to crawl through the 20+ pages of comments on this thread. I love the idea of being able to replace both my interface and pedal board in one swoop. 

What's everyones experience with this in a live situation? That's the only concern of mine. I currently play in a Indie cover band so I generally only switch between 2 different distortions and a chorus/reverb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RnRDave said:

I'm so very close to pulling the trigger on one of these bad boys. Just about to crawl through the 20+ pages of comments on this thread. I love the idea of being able to replace both my interface and pedal board in one swoop. 

What's everyones experience with this in a live situation? That's the only concern of mine. I currently play in a Indie cover band so I generally only switch between 2 different distortions and a chorus/reverb. 

Haven’t used mine live yet, but I’ll say that this thing is so customisable in terms of footswitch assignment, snapshots, connection of external controllers etc. that once you get to grips with how it all works it’s pretty much guaranteed you’ll be able to set it up to suit you.

With snapshots, you can fire off multiple parameter changes within a preset at the press of a footswitch, mid song, instantly. No awkward processing lag. That single feature alone is incredibly useful in a live context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...