Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

17 hours ago, ratman said:

I use the Simple Pitch.

Out of interest, how long have had your Stomp? I've just seen your pedal-board clear out in the FS of some really good dedicated pedals and I'm thinking "yup, another person has just cottoned on just how good their Stomp is!". 

It seems to me that the Stomp is already having an impact on the supply and demand for dedicated pedals. And the direction of travel IMHO (aka in my opinionated and not always correct mind) is clear.

And goodness knows how good the next generation Stomp is going to be! That is one bass pedal I will be getting for sure and it may also end up being the last one I ever need. 

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I'm thinking "yup, another person has just cottoned on just how good their Stomp is!". 

It seems to me that the Stomp is already having an impact on the supply and demand for dedicated pedals. 

I’m in a similar position, selling all my dedicated pedals. 

Ive had my Stomp a few days, and whilst there’s no doubt it’s a great bit of kit, it feels like quite a compromise in some areas. But the size and content mean I’ll stick with it, and I’m sure over the next few weeks I’ll get more of its best out of it. But if I was in a position to keep some of my dedicated pedals then I would for sure. 

All of the M-series effects are also accessible in the helix units. In certain effects types there is a clear improvement in the sound quality. Reverbs and drives stand out for me. other effect types are less distinguishable. 

the thing that makes the helix stand out for me is that they release regular firmware updates with new stuff to try out :) if that's your bag, then its a no brainer

Yes. The helix grows with you. So any new fx, upgrades, ideas, settings you get for free.

It's an astounding piece of kit. It really is.

The routing is superb. Having the ability to send an amp sim to your cab, but the same amp sim and a cab sim to the desk is magic. It allows you to get a proper sound to the desk, but full control over your stage sound without affecting the desk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest, how long have had your Stomp? I've just seen your pedal-board clear out in the FS of some really good dedicated pedals and I'm thinking "yup, another person has just cottoned on just how good their Stomp is!". 

It seems to me that the Stomp is already having an impact on the supply and demand for dedicated pedals. And the direction of travel IMHO (aka in my opinionated and not always correct mind) is clear.

And goodness knows how good the next generation Stomp is going to be! That is one bass pedal I will be getting for sure and it may also end up being the last one I ever need. 

I've had it for 4 months now. Initially I thought it was ok, but the more I tweak my patches, the better it gets. Now I wouldn't be without it. I say this for a few reasons.

Firstly, the modelling. It's really good these days. Things have moved on a lot since the days of the hissy & metallic souding Zoom and Boss tone suckers. I haven't got the effects models to exactly replicate my pedals, some are very close and some are slightly different, but overall I do like what it does.

Second, amp & cab modelling. I love this. I have a Streamliner 900, and I swore it would be the last amp I'd ever need. But, I'm having a blast just plugging into the FX Return on my amp and use it just as a power amp. I'm mainly using the Flip Top, SVT and Bassman models. There are some gigs when I want to hear my amp in all it's glory, but having some different flavours is fun. I may soon look for a dedicated (hopefully small) power amp,  to use on gigs, and I can save my Genz Benz for special occasions.

Thirdly, portability. My last big board was a Pedaltrain Classic Jr (Novo 24 before that!) with the ES-5, lots of MIDI, loaded up with all the big gun pedals, and for small gigs a Metro 20 still with 8 pedals on as a stripped down, simpler version which was more portable. Now I can take my full board, which fits on a Metro16, on my shoulder to every gig. No compromising on sounds, it's too easy. I play in some central London venues that have house amps, house cabs or just DI into the PA, and I get the tube there and back with my board in my hand. Again, it's too freaking easy.

If I was just doing original music I'd probably stick with pedals, but most of my work are covers & functions and the Stomp does everything I need it to . I love the versatility of the Stomp and the ease of use.Also, I play short scale basses now, my full board weighs probably less that 2Kg, My amp is small, my 1x12 Berg cab weighs 23Kg. Humping my gear around now is a piece of p iss!

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

@ratman, if you’re in the market for a very compact yet highly rated power amp, check this little beast out: https://www.guitarsoundsystems.com/gss-1000w-sumo-guitar-bass-power-amp-c2x23791314

Yes, I came across this the other day. At almost a foot long, it's a little larger than I was looking for.  Ideally I want something light and a bit smaller that I can chuck in a backpack. Still, it looks to be a neat amp. They also do a 100W amp which would be the perfect size for me but not enough juice.

2 hours ago, ratman said:

Yes, I came across this the other day. At almost a foot long, it's a little larger than I was looking for.  Ideally I want something light and a bit smaller that I can chuck in a backpack. Still, it looks to be a neat amp. They also do a 100W amp which would be the perfect size for me but not enough juice.

This (for less than the cost of a decent dedicated analogue pedal)?

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, ratman said:

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Second, amp & cab modelling. I love this. I have a Streamliner 900, and I swore it would be the last amp I'd ever need. But, I'm having a blast just plugging into the FX Return on my amp and use it just as a power amp

If you got a power amp that fit the bill would you then sell the streamliner?

Or would you keep it as well (presuming no need for a back up?)

No way. It's just too nice to sell. And it records so well. (I will probably get another one down the line as a spare) As much as I'm enjoying the digital gear, for recording I still prefer old school valves and transistors.

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@ratman I see you're a London boy! Any links to your band(s)?

Here's a recent live video. We use backing tracks if we go out as a 4 piece, hence some extra keys & BVs on this song. The guitarist is going DI with his Helix, I'm using the Stomp into the front of my amp.

• Like 2

Loved it. Great energy, excellent lead vocals (I'm a big fan of really good vocals!) and tight. And you're doing bass BVs too!

If you guys are playing a pub / non function public gig on a Friday night give me a shout, love to come along to see you play live (and there are a fair few London bass players who might be up for a night out). Maybe good to get a London BC curry night out organised at some point soon anyway - if we can combine with some live music even better! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

The Big Bang is a compact size. 

It's just a tad smaller (22.5 x 25 x 7) than my Genz Benz (25 x 28 x 7). I'm trying to find something really small that packs a punch, and that doesn't cost the earth. And, if it's an actual bass amp, it has an FX loop so I can choose between just using the power stage or using the pre amp too. I don't ask for much, I know. So far the MB Nano is the closest but only 300W at 4 Ohms means under 200W at 8 Ohms which isn't a lot on a noisy stage.

2 hours ago, ratman said:

I'm trying to find something really small that packs a punch, and that doesn't cost the earth. And, if it's an actual bass amp, it has an FX loop so I can choose between just using the power stage or using the pre amp too.

I reckon you may be best off going with something like a Gallien-Krueger MB800 or Tecamp Puma 900 in that case. Having owned a Puma and tried the MB series, they’re very compact in terms of slimness and weight. Will easily fit in the front pocket of a gig bag. And of course they pack a serious punch in terms of wattage!

Edited by CameronJ

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I reckon you may be best off going with something like a Gallien-Krueger MB800 or Tecamp Puma 900 in that case. Having owned a Puma and tried the MB series, they’re very compact in terms of slimness and weight. Will easily fit in the front pocket of a gig bag. And of course they pack a series punch in terms of wattage!

I saw a GK MB800 on a gig recently. Not a small footprint but slim, light and very loud. It's definitely on my radar now.

Edited by ratman
  • Like 1

So gigged the Stomp twice this weekend with two different bands. Used it through the DB751 and Barefaced 610 and it was magnificent! Had the presets ready to go and this thing just works, really bloody well too! Lots of comments from the sound techs for both gigs about the tone and clarity and sat beautifully in the mix with my 69 P bass. Last nights sound with Fu Fighters was👌

So glad I took the plunge and sold off all, yep all my pedals. Incredible but of kit and I’ve probably only scratched the surface of what it can do but so far so good!

If you’re in two minds, just do it you won’t be disappointed. 

Edited by walshy
  • Like 5