Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

I've spent a lot of time building my clean patch and I have to say that nothing really satifies me 100%.

I had a preset with the Deluxe Comp->Split at 150Hz with the Teemah! in the lower register and nothing in the upper->Ampeg SVT4->810 IR (I think it's from Seacow cabs, but I don't remember). It sounded great with headphones, but like crap in the PA.
I replaced the SVT4pro for the SVT Norm. And now it sounds better. Also, I replaced the Deluxe comp for the LA Studio. It sounds great (but my previous preset did too).
Then, I plugged the HX Stomp to my Ashdown OriginAL preamp (and switched off the amp and IR sims) and it sounded much better. I'm still trying to replicate the sound of that preamp in the HX Stomp, but nothing really compares it. The SVT Nrm is getting closer than anything else, but it lacks "the balls" of the preamp.
I really wanted to use just the HX Stomp by itself. And I work on my presets with that idea in my mind, but I cannot achieve it.

On 19/02/2021 at 10:11, SumOne said:

^^^

Nice one. The power supply is something I'm looking to change too. Not so much because of the big extra plug in the wall (which is a bit of a hassle) but mostly because of the long straight power connector that goes into the Helix unit which means I can't fit a pedal above it on my board - I want a 90 degree one.  

My pedal power supply unit  only goes to 500mA so the solution seems to be a current doubler (which will be a bit under-powered but hopefully fine), a 2.1 mm to 2.5 mm adapter and center positive to center negative adapter......haven't found any one cable/adapter that fits the bill yet and it doesn't seem the best idea to have all those adapters so I'll stick with the Helix power for now.

Edit: In-case anyone tries that- I think Helix things are just center negative like most pedals, so it's just the high mA and 2.5mm size that needs to be considered.

I know this post was months ago and you're probably sorted but for anyone in the future:

Most 2.1 to 2.5mm adapters also invert the polarity, so now the power is centre positive. That's why you see a lot of people then suggesting the inverting adapter, to get it the 'right' way again. I asked obbm really nicely and he made me a suitable cable that did everything without the need for a chain of adapters. My Cioks DC7 powers the helix using two outputs. 

Used it for the first time with a band this week in to the practice rooms Trace combo with the shape engaged. My home made "fretlessness" patch, originally for fretless bass, sounded fantastic through a fretted Stingray, no fancy trickery in the patch but good full chorus and verb. The presets that come with the unit also sounded good. Free presets I downloaded mostly sounded dreadful. Hardly anything sounds the same as it does through headphones. 

Just want some good clean amp sounds to come out as standard now, an SWR preset would be superb.