Why become a member? ×

Number One Bass - Stick or Twist

AndyTravis

18 minutes ago, casapete said:

My 63 P-bass. Originally belonged to a great friend and bandmate who tragically lost his life in road accident. I acquired the bass from his widow, who had unfortunately stored it in her loft, causing all the paint to peel off the body, and the frets turn green. I had it restored by Paulman in Huddersfield some 30 years ago, and it remains my Number One to this day.

IMG_0200.JPG

As I’ve said before lovely bass and my YOB. Maybe one day if the numbers come up lol.

Stick!

My first bass, my GMR Bassforce 5, still keeps getting better every time I play anything else. I'd be gutted to give up my Jazz Aerodyne (good sound, easy to play, and classically drop-dead gorgeous), my 1966 Gibson EB-2 (love the resonance of that semi-hollow body, and knowing she makes me part of 50 years of history), or my Warwick Thumb 6 (in love after two weeks, great thump and growl, and with six strings all the notes I want atm are right under my hand, so easier to play fast in dim light - ymmv). 

But the GMR fits like a detachable body part and sings like a bird. I would have given up any number of times in my first year of learning to play, but she wouldn't let me. 

Bird2.thumb.jpg.3455242e6d6cf5f1a1a5f9c84a325260.jpg

5af8acde11a38_JazzA3copy.thumb.jpg.971be91216462877098806d3a7c7d954.jpg

EB2.thumb.jpg.d7b27a03d427fb70bcc90cd062c7cac2.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, josie said:

Stick!

My first bass, my GMR Bassforce 5, still keeps getting better every time I play anything else. I'd be gutted to give up my Jazz Aerodyne (good sound, easy to play, and classically drop-dead gorgeous), my 1966 Gibson EB-2 (love the resonance of that semi-hollow body, and knowing she makes me part of 50 years of history), or my Warwick Thumb 6 (in love after two weeks, great thump and growl, and with six strings all the notes I want atm are right under my hand, so easier to play fast in dim light - ymmv). 

But the GMR fits like a detachable body part and sings like a bird. I would have given up any number of times in my first year of learning to play, but she wouldn't let me. 

Bird2.thumb.jpg.3455242e6d6cf5f1a1a5f9c84a325260.jpg

5af8acde11a38_JazzA3copy.thumb.jpg.971be91216462877098806d3a7c7d954.jpg

EB2.thumb.jpg.d7b27a03d427fb70bcc90cd062c7cac2.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

That EB-2 is WOW!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a lot of great basses which I'd be reluctant to be parted with. I've always said that the last to go would be my Veillette Citron. The only thing that I might consider trading it for would be a Status Kingbass (preferably the green one sold by Scooby recently) or an Alembic Stanley Clarke.

Image result for Alembic Stanley Clarke

IMG_1662.JPG

17 minutes ago, casapete said:

Absolutely - great faded cherry, love it.

The back is still rich cherry - she's obviously been out in the sun over the years!

I had a chance to almost straight swap her for a pristine 1965 cherry that looked straight out of the case, and turned it down. The other was too shiny, too perfect, almost artificial. Sounded good, but mine looks like a bass that's been played and loved. 

I bought her from Gruhn's in Nashville, and she's still there, with my son, who plays a Fender P but does love her too. So if I ever had to have only one, I reckon she wouldn't count 🙂 

32 minutes ago, josie said:

The back is still rich cherry - she's obviously been out in the sun over the years!

I had a chance to almost straight swap her for a pristine 1965 cherry that looked straight out of the case, and turned it down. The other was too shiny, too perfect, almost artificial. Sounded good, but mine looks like a bass that's been played and loved. 

I bought her from Gruhn's in Nashville, and she's still there, with my son, who plays a Fender P but does love her too. So if I ever had to have only one, I reckon she wouldn't count 🙂 

I went to Gruhn's place, proper shop or what?!! Always had a thing for 60's Gibson cherry stuff, have had GAS for a 335 for longer than I care to remember. Some of the reissues have come close, but nothing quite captures that colour of an original.

Nice story too Josie.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well...if that was my number one I’d shite cubes of gold and have no issue 

To be honest, No 2 (No 1 and a 1/2 really) and number 3 aren’t going anywhere either!

Wal Pro IIE

A2EE0D0A-95D8-4F4E-B93A-028C45F21824.thumb.jpeg.4ee95fa5c4a196631ba90a03f1c77e27.jpeg

And Aria SB700

8D353E24-4821-494C-92A5-F82B8BA46F38.thumb.jpeg.9ae53f85141df915336c2fb188e1dd4c.jpeg

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

I have two basses that are my number 1.
My 1984 Aria Pro II B&G 

40281608295_81eab82fc8_b.jpg

and my 2010 Fender Steve Harris

10574377355_d3c1d8d00c_b.jpg

The Aria would go nowhere, ever! 

But in the massively unlikely event that someone wanted to swap my Steve Harris for a black Wal Mk I 4 string, I could be tempted.

• Like 3

I really can’t see what I would change this for (USA Geddy Lee) The neck is incredible, body is nice and light and it sounds good. 

If push came to shove, a 60s Jazz maybe, but I prefer modern radius boards and frets. 

The sound I always have in my head is a P bass though, so maybe, just maybe ...

85983A0A-62EB-410C-BC85-FE073CA6777C.jpeg

• Like 1

On 13/08/2018 at 22:41, drlargepants said:

I really can’t see what I would change this for (USA Geddy Lee) The neck is incredible, body is nice and light and it sounds good. 

If push came to shove, a 60s Jazz maybe, but I prefer modern radius boards and frets. 

The sound I always have in my head is a P bass though, so maybe, just maybe ...

85983A0A-62EB-410C-BC85-FE073CA6777C.jpeg

Apart from a possible house move, I can’t see me moving the MIM version I’ve recently acquired going anywhere.