Why become a member? ×

Singer advert I've never seen before.

yorks5stringer

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Maybe I should 

Hope I die before I get old.

Damn! Too late. Now where did I leave that Zimmer frame?

And that's another thing. When will you learn to leave that Zimmer frame out of everyone's way..? No respect for the rights of passage; with failing eyesight anyone could do themselves severe damage tripping over the darned thing. Think of the children, and the bad example you're setting..! ¬¬

(Non, mais..! Aucun considération pour autrui..! Il y a de quoi désespérer de nos aïeux..! Tsk, Tsk..! >:()

xD :P

42 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

There's no mention of sexuality, sexuality and gender aren't the same thing! 

You are, of course, correct Pete. I should have said 'the fact that she is trans should be irrelevant to whether she is going to be a great vocalist'. Perhaps I could put it another way: if there was a vacancy in either of my bands and she wanted to audition she would be VERY welcome to do so.

Just now, Al Krow said:

You are, of course, correct Pete. I should have said 'the fact that she is trans should be irrelevant to whether she is going to be a great vocalist'. Perhaps I could put it another way: if there was a vacancy in either of my bands and she wanted to audition she would be VERY welcome to do so.

I didn't doubt it and I was being pedantic but at the same time I had a valid point. 😃

The only rule our singer has to adhere to is that they must pack up the bag that contains all the extension leads, xlrs and kettle leads at the end of the gig as we pack up the bulky items, male, female, gay, straight, non binary, doesn't matter, they can be as curious as they like as long as they do it during packing the leads up 😀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

The only rule our singer has to adhere to is that they must pack up the bag that contains all the extension leads, xlrs and kettle leads...

Haha, ok now you're pushing it, where on earth do you get singers who do thatxD

3 hours ago, martthebass said:

Not one for overgeneralisation then PC? I’m pretty sure that everyone over the age of 55 doesn’t read the Daily Mail and exhibit a lack of capacity to access and interpret the internet.

Similarly I’m sure not everyone under the age of 25 uses ‘of’ in place of ‘have’......

see below

4 hours ago, project_c said:

Now this is obviously a generalization - there are exceptions, but in generational terms the division is clear. 

1 hour ago, leschirons said:

Too true, I was thinking exactly the same thing just the other night when there was a BBC news report on homophobia where CCTV footage depicted a 20 year old smash a glass in to someone's face because he was holding hands with his partner. Oh wait a minute,  I was thinking the exact opposite, that we now have a completely new generation of intolerant homophobic and racist biggots that apparently have no boundaries when it comes to inflicting violence on others.

As far as I'm concened, my generation is not the problem.

As I said, it's a generalisation, I don't for one second think young people are blameless. You could also argue that it would be difficult for a frail wheezy 84 year old homophobe to go gay-bashing, because he would have trouble making it out of the front door, let alone punch anyone in the face. But see actual data for shifting attitudes below:

personal_relationships_table_17.png?widt

personal_relationships_figure_1_4.png?wi

...but of course, more importantly, we all know the demographic divide of the recent 'big' thing we all voted on, after which attitudes (and brains) regressed and we got plunged back into the dark ages. Not a coincidence.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, martthebass said:

I’m pretty sure that everyone over the age of 55 doesn’t read the Daily Mail...

The Daily Mail has an overwhelmingly older age profile; the print readership totals 2.2m over-55's - about 75% of all readers.

On the other hand, 88% of over-55's do not read the Daily Mail - that's nearly 16m people.

(Source: ONS / ABC)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, project_c said:

As I said, it's a generalisation, I don't for one second think young people are blameless. You could also argue that it would be difficult for a frail wheezy 84 year old homophobe to go gay-bashing, because he would have trouble making it out of the front door, let alone punch anyone in the face. But see actual data for shifting attitudes below:

personal_relationships_table_17.png?widt

personal_relationships_figure_1_4.png?wi

...but of course, more importantly, we all know the demographic divide of the recent 'big' thing we all voted on, after which attitudes (and brains) regressed and we got plunged back into the dark ages. Not a coincidence.

The question is very strange. The idea that something which occurs naturally can be "wrong" is bizarre and how does one define "wrong"? It's like saying "Is the existence of trees wrong?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

If she has the vocal talent and a stage presence to connect with the audience, who cares about her sexuality? It's irrelevant.

Totally agree. One of my favourite bands, Against Me, is fronted by Laura Jane Grace - formerly Tom Gabel. She has bags of charisma, a great voice and makes amazing music. Gender and gender identity shouldn't come in to it.

My guess is she's been messed around by bigoted chumps and wants to find serious, open minded musicians.

7 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

We, of course, are the generation that spawned Melting Pot, Young Gifted & Black,

The Times They are a'Changin', Eve of Destruction & more latterly

I'm too sexy for my gerbil............but, whatever.............

:)

Yes, but we're evil now. All the way through, like a stick of rock with the word evil instead of Blackpool.

9 hours ago, project_c said:

She shouldn't have to, but 2018 is not exactly a time of tolerance and human compassion. We're in an era of intellectual regression

Actually it's not quite as simple as that. We're in an era abundant with intellectual progress and tolerance, which is being stifled by an increasingly dumb, aggressive and intolerant ageing population, who wish it was still 1842. And thanks to the miracle of modern medicine, they're out there shuffling about in huge numbers, and they will live until they're 136 years old. So it's going to take a long time for attitudes to change significantly.

I know what you mean.  I was young once and knew everything.

Now I'm old (60) and know feck all. :)

And to make matters even worse, I've noticed myself becoming dumb, aggressive and intolerant.O.o

And smelling of wee too.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead
spelling

37 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Yes, but we're evil now. All the way through, like a stick of rock with the word evil instead of Blackpool.

I think the thing is that at the minute, generations are being defined by their maddest outliers. The hard-brexiteers who have retired to Spain, the millennials that unironically call for safe spaces and no-platforming. The fact is most sane, normal people hold fairly reasonable views, and there's definitely an element of NIMBYism to most things - "She can be transgender if she wants, so long as it doesn't affect me", that doesn't necessarily mean somebody is for the cause, but they aren't really against it either.

What we've seen a lot of over the last few years is people trying to shoe-horn their beliefs onto other people (think marriage equality referendum and similar), and they generally lose. Most people don't care enough to be against something that doesn't really impact them.

• Like 2

I'd like to think the music industry is an area where you would encounter less intolerance to gender, sexuality, race, colour, whatever  differences folks might have than a lot of other areas. Music has brought together all manner of different folks and pushed the boundaries and lead the way as far as all these issues are concerned. A lot of the time being a positive driving force in a negative era. 

I probably haven't quite explained myself well, maybe not using the correct terminology but hopefully you get my meaning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, project_c said:

see below

I specifically said ‘overgeneralisation’ so as to differentiate it from your ‘generalisation’.....please keep up 😘

I do use a MacBook instead of one of those new dangled PC things though...

Edited by martthebass

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Over the years our personal experience of auditioning or working with female vocalists has brought nothing but hassle, maybe we just chose some bad ones, this is not sexist, just fact in our case, so we would not be interested.

Edited by steantval
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

The Daily Mail has an overwhelmingly older age profile; the print readership totals 2.2m over-55's - about 75% of all readers.

On the other hand, 88% of over-55's do not read the Daily Mail - that's nearly 16m people.

(Source: ONS / ABC)

I read that their readership is declining, as are their finances. It would be so sad if they went bust.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ambient said:

I read that their readership is declining, as are their finances. It would be so sad if they went bust.

Simple maths, if their readership is the older age group, the readers are nearer to death and circulation figures will continue to fall.

Same with Readers Digest.

2 minutes ago, steantval said:

Simple maths, if their readership is the older age group, the readers are nearer to death and circulation figures will continue to fall.

Same with Readers Digest.

Dentists will still continue to buy the readers digest. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, leschirons said:

Too true, I was thinking exactly the same thing just the other night when there was a BBC news report on homophobia where CCTV footage depicted a 20 year old smash a glass in to someone's face because he was holding hands with his partner. Oh wait a minute,  I was thinking the exact opposite, that we now have a completely new generation of intolerant homophobic and racist biggots that apparently have no boundaries when it comes to inflicting violence on others.

As far as I'm concened, my generation is not the problem.

Ignorance, stupidity, homophobia and racism are still rife and it certainly isn’t particular to any generation, dislike of the ‘other’ is a fundamental of the human condition unfortunately, self awareness on the other hand is a rare thing.

8 hours ago, steantval said:

Over the years our personal experience of auditioning or working with female vocalists has brought nothing but hassle, maybe we just chose some bad ones, this is not sexist, just fact in our case, so we would not be interested.

I guess you must have just been unlucky that you weren't able to work out how to get the best from your female vocalists over the years. It happens with some blokes, for sure. That is not sexist, just a fact, right? 

The four females (two lead vocalists, sax/BVs and drummer) who comprise nearly half of the members of the two bands I'm in, are fantastic individuals, very talented and it's a real privilege for me to share my musical journey with them. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1