Why become a member? ×

Singer advert I've never seen before.

yorks5stringer

Without wishing to sound patronising in any way, one has to admire the person placing this ad. I do hope they get sorted for a band.

'Are you seeking a vocalist for a newly formed function band or perhaps an already established one that’s seeking a new vocalist?
If so, great!
I’m a 37yo old transwoman and I would love to be considered!
My strongest vocal skills are rock, pop and soul
Interested?
Don’t hesitate to get in touch'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yank said:

"transwoman" ?  Is that a man identifying as a woman or a woman identifying as a man.  I'm so confused these days.  Get "in touch" ?  Is that a double entendre?  

Hardly...it's pretty juvenile and insulting to conflate being transgender with being promiscuous. 

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Yank said:

"transwoman" ?  Is that a man identifying as a woman or a woman identifying as a man.

I wondered the same. Also wondered what sort of vocal range this singer might offer ... could be a solution to the perennial 'Robert Plant problem'.

Incidentally, on the whole 'does it matter?' thing, I believe it does when the advert chooses to be up front about it. If this person didn't think it matters, then they wouldn't mention it.

I think the singer was probably just trying to be upfront and not waste either of their time if it was going to be an issue.  

I believe that some people may wrongly confuse/associate transgenderism with transvestism.  

34 minutes ago, ambient said:

She is I believe male to female.

Good luck to her, though in 2018 she really shouldn't need to fear any kind of prejudice or childishness. 

I guess she's just being honest about it.

She shouldn't have to, but 2018 is not exactly a time of tolerance and human compassion. We're in an era of intellectual regression

Actually it's not quite as simple as that. We're in an era abundant with intellectual progress and tolerance, which is being stifled by an increasingly dumb, aggressive and intolerant ageing population, who wish it was still 1842. And thanks to the miracle of modern medicine, they're out there shuffling about in huge numbers, and they will live until they're 136 years old. So it's going to take a long time for attitudes to change significantly.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, project_c said:

She shouldn't have to, but 2018 is not exactly a time of tolerance and human compassion. We're in an era of intellectual regression

Actually it's not quite as simple as that. We're in an era abundant with intellectual progress and tolerance, which is being stifled by an increasingly dumb, aggressive and intolerant ageing population, who wish it was still 1842. And thanks to the miracle of modern medicine, they're out there shuffling about in huge numbers, and they will live until they're 136 years old. So it's going to take a long time for attitudes to change significantly.

Not helping is certain areas of the press whipping up their hysteria on a daily basis.

• Like 4

Sad to say there's a lot of truth in some of the comments above.

Having just gone through a painful 7 month search for a new singer though I know how hard it is to find a good vocalist (and we were very much too fond a really good one in the end). Plenty of averagely mediocre singers (and with disproportionate egos in most cases too) but good ones are really hard to come by. If she is one of the good ones then I sincerely hope she's given the same chances as anyone else - although I suspect there is still a lot of bigotry out there to be overcome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ambient said:

Not helping is certain areas of the press whipping up their hysteria on a daily basis.

I'd probably put more of the blame on the social media echo chamber than the press, although true to say reporting stardards these days are so sloppy and lazy journalism just adds to the problem.  Just my view YMMV etc.

Edited by ead

2 hours ago, project_c said:

Irony? (I hope.......)

:|

• Like 3

If she has the vocal talent and a stage presence to connect with the audience, who cares about her sexuality? It's irrelevant. 

Which of us would have turned down an opportunity to be the bassist in Prince's backing group? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Irony? (I hope.......)

I think the poster is irony-impaired. The fact that the advertiser is trans-gender could be highly relevant if their vocal range is closer to that one would expect from a male singer. Of course, that could be a point in their favour - it all depends on the band. 

26 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Irony? (I hope.......)

Wish it was. Probably a bit harsh, I know, but I don't know of anyone under 25 who even remotely cares about sexual orientation, gender or race. Sexual orientation is largely a problem for old people. As mentioned above, the media that  old people rely on for information definitely doesn't help. In fact one of the main reasons behind the current big divide between generations is that traditional media is almost completely ignored by young people, so their impression of the world is completely different to those who still read newspapers and watch tv. 

Now this is obviously a generalization - there are exceptions, but in generational terms the division is clear. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, project_c said:

Wish it was. Probably a bit harsh, I know, but I don't know of anyone under 25 who even remotely cares about sexual orientation, gender or race. Sexual orientation is largely a problem for old people. As mentioned above, the media that  old people rely on for information definitely doesn't help. In fact one of the main reasons behind the current big divide between generations is that traditional media is almost completely ignored by young people, so their impression of the world is completely different to those who still read newspapers and watch tv. 

Now this is obviously a generalization - there are exceptions, but in generational terms the division is clear. 

... and will, presumably, disappear up it's own of its own accord in the fullness of time..? S'only a matter of patience, then, as little can be done to change owt till then. One has to hope that the present young'uns don't age and become old gits as we seem to have done, maybe..? :|

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

... and will, presumably, disappear up it's own of its own accord in the fullness of time..? S'only a matter of patience, then, as little can be done to change owt till then. One has to hope that the present young'uns don't age and become old gits as we seem to have done, maybe..? :|

I often wonder why that generation has become so weird. They produced some of the most remarkable cultural artifacts and colossal artistic achievements of the 20th century, in a world that gave them a lifestyle that today's young people will only ever dream of, only to end up as a collective bunch of angry bitter old windbags. What has happened to the boomers? They used to be nice. I don't think it's an age thing. It's definitely a media thing, but that in itself doesn't fully explain it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, project_c said:

I often wonder why that generation has become so weird. They produced some of the most remarkable cultural artifacts and colossal artistic achievements of the 20th century, in a world that gave them a lifestyle that today's young people will only ever dream of, only to end up as a collective bunch of angry bitter old windbags. What has happened to the boomers? They used to be nice. I don't think it's an age thing. It's definitely a media thing, but that in itself doesn't fully explain it. 

Not one for overgeneralisation then PC? I’m pretty sure that everyone over the age of 55 doesn’t read the Daily Mail and exhibit a lack of capacity to access and interpret the internet.

Similarly I’m sure not everyone under the age of 25 uses ‘of’ in place of ‘have’......

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

Our guitarist changed gender last year and I was expecting some negative comments at gigs, but do you know what? no-one's bothered. The only punters who have mentioned anything have been genuinely supportive, and that's with us playing to a mainly older audience. My personal view is that society has become far more tolerant that it was twenty or thirty years ago. 

5 hours ago, project_c said:

Too true, I was thinking exactly the same thing just the other night when there was a BBC news report on homophobia where CCTV footage depicted a 20 year old smash a glass in to someone's face because he was holding hands with his partner. Oh wait a minute,  I was thinking the exact opposite, that we now have a completely new generation of intolerant homophobic and racist biggots that apparently have no boundaries when it comes to inflicting violence on others.

As far as I'm concened, my generation is not the problem.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

If she has the vocal talent and a stage presence to connect with the audience, who cares about her sexuality? It's irrelevant. 

Which of us would have turned down an opportunity to be the bassist in Prince's backing group? 

There's no mention of sexuality, sexuality and gender aren't the same thing!