12stringbassist

THIS IS GOING TO CAUSE MUCH HYSTERIA..

4 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Blimey. A string angle at the nut!!

It's hardly the worst example you could find. Anything with an Explorer-style headstock will be far more extreme.

And so long as the nut has been cut properly everything will be fine.

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

They finally got round to it then. :D

I wonder if it will be a 'proper' fiver and not just 5 strings squeezed onto a 4 string body.

Judging on how the five strings have been squeezed onto a 4 string headstock I doubt it.

It wouldn't have taken much imagination to come up with a five-string specific headstock shape to make it look balanced whilst retaining the essence of 'rickness'

28 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

It wouldn't have taken much imagination to come up with a five-string specific headstock shape to make it look balanced whilst retaining the essence of 'rickness'

Surely the make-do, cobbled-together look IS the essence of 'Rickness'? Rrrowl! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

They finally got round to it then. :D

They already made a 5 string. tried one out in birmingham in 1995 when I ended up getting an alembic instead.  very narrow string spacing. That's about all I remember about it.  possibly sound control.  i remember it being pretty close to the Bass centre - through the railway arches. 

41 minutes ago, jacko said:

They already made a 5 string. tried one out in birmingham in 1995 when I ended up getting an alembic instead.  very narrow string spacing. That's about all I remember about it.  possibly sound control.  i remember it being pretty close to the Bass centre - through the railway arches. 

I know, hence my subtle dig at the string spacing 😉

Want to get excited. Then I realised that I don’t currently play 5’s, and I had a ric which I sold because I wasn’t using it.

love how they look - like your dream partner, post lobotomy...great to look at but ultimately not much use other than to look at.

(in my opinion/for my taste - I know they have their fans)

14 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

...like your dream partner, post lobotomy...

How could I arrange such a procedure for my dream partner?

3 minutes ago, discreet said:

How could I arrange such a procedure for my dream partner?

I don’t know, mine’s the brains of the operation as well as the looks...

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I don’t know, mine’s the brains of the operation as well as the looks...

Hunh?? Hurr... *dribbles*

I would probably like the spacing, I would probably like the bass. Its probably cheaper for me to go and ask Mr Shuker to go and make me one of those uberhorns in the best wood going with jewels built into the controls, and still have a few quid for a nandos.

I know which one sounds more appealing at the moment, I haven't had chicken in ages...

I don't like or play fivers, but if i did, i would pick one where all 5 string are actually over the fretboard

What an abortion.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I don't like or play fivers, but if i did, i would pick one where all 5 string are actually over the fretboard

What an abortion.

You’ll be getting a nasty letter in the post©️®️™️

I hope so.

The i'll have Rickenphukker arrested for unleashing that turd on the general public

Did that headstock inspire Tru*p’s combover or was it the other round? 

Edited by scalpy
Grammar

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By nige1968
      More pics Turns out I really need £350, and how is this German-built five-string two-pickup bass not worth such a paltry amount? Rhetorical question, btw.
      Anyway, AYMBA, before the Rockbass thing, Warwick produced these entry-level passive Streamers in Germany. This one is the 5-string, 2-pickup model, built in September 2000. The body is carolena (pine, apparently) and the neck is ovangkol. Natural oil finish and one-piece bridge. Sounds very nice too, though the output seems a bit quieter than most basses -- I understand that's down to the pots used on this model, but haven't got around to replacing them. Proper solid chunky wood, hence 4.2kg / 9.26lb. Comes in a Warwick gig bag ('proudly made with RokTex©'). Some wear and tear to the body if you look closely. Strung low E to high C.
      Sensible offers entertained. Sorry, no overseas postage. Not keen to post at all, in fact, but might be persuadable within the UK.
      OK, £275 anyone? Pretty much what you'd pay for a cheapo Rockbass, only you get a proper German one to show off to your mates and feel all growed up.

• By TorVic
      (Located in The Hague, NL. My feedback history: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/280308-feedback-for-torvic/page/3/#comments)
      Price: 1600eur / 1475 GBP 
      Got this here and it is still like new! Only played occasionally at home. Selling to fund another purchase - no trades
      Here's the description borrowed from the previous sale: 
      New price: 2565 USD (bass) + 300 USD (shipping costs) + 687 USD import costs = 3552USD / 3152Euro / 2790GBP 34 "scale lightweight Swamp Ash body with Wengé veneer and Brazillian Olive wood top 7 piece Maple / Wengé neck with a nice dark piece Ebony for the fretboard 24 fret lines with dot markings on the side of the neck 2 Nordstrand Zen blade pickups passive Volume / Balance / Tone Ebony ramp (slides in - not affixed with any adhesive)  Gotoh tuners and mono-rail bridges  weight ~4.4 kg website: https://mgbassguitars.com/ 

• By TorVic
      (Located in The Hague, NL. My feedback history: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/280308-feedback-for-torvic/page/3/#comments)
      Selling this Mike Sabre bass (the DDP-I model) that I bought here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/343402-sold-mike-sabre-5-string/?tab=comments#comment-3760972
      *Will ship in a generic hard-case. Shipping costs included. 
      Website: http://www.mike-sabre.com/Models/DDiPiazzaModels/SignatureModel/signaturemodel.html
      Weight: 4.2kg
      Current strings: E-C
      Spec from website: 
      Nud width :
      - 4 strings : 1-1/16"(42,85 mm) / 1-1/2"(38,10 mm)
      - 5 strings : 1-3/4"(44,45 mm) / 1-7/8"(47,62 mm)
      Width at last fret :
      - 4 strings : 2 5/8" (66 mm)
      - 5 cordes : 2.906" (74 mm)
      Fingerboard radius : 10°
      Scale length : 34" (866 cm)
      Number of frets : 24
      Neck :
      - One piece quarter-sawn maple
      - Asymmetric back shape
      - Triple reinforced Truss Rod System
      - WARMOTH construction
      Fingerboard wood : Pau Ferro
      Fret size : 6105 "Hard nickel siver 18%"
      Body wood : Alder
      Tuners : Schaller BML Light Bass
      Bridge : Dominique Di Piazza Fretless Bridge
      String spacing at bridge:
      - 4 strings : 3/4" (19 mm)
      - 5 strings : 17 mm
      Pickups :  two pickups EMG
      Electronic :
      - Volume, Volume, Tone
      Finger ramp : Acajou
      Finish : Clear gloss

• By Cog1977
      USA Peavey Millennium Plus 5-string   £550     Body: Alder with flame maple top Finish: Gloss lacquer Scale: 35" Neck and fingerboard: Maple Pickups: 1x Peavey VFL active style, 1x Peavey VFL active soapbar  Controls: Active 18v 3 band preamp with mid sweep control Frets: 21 Medium Nut width: 47mm Neck width: 69mm at 21st fret String spacing at bridge: 17.5mm Weight: 4.24kg / 9lb 4oz Dunlop Straploks   This was originally bought here on Basschat as a back up instrument to my 5-string Peavey Cirrus.  It served well as a back up and wasn’t actually used except in a rehearsal and at home!  It plays great however, and for those wanting a narrower string spacing on a 5-string it’s a good fit.  It feels ‘easier’ to play than my Musicman Bongo (due to neck shape I suppose).  It reminds me of the smoothness of my Mike Lull, but with a narrower string spacing.  The active EQ can dial in a huge range of sounds making this an extremely versatile instrument.  This article from back in the day features it in a high end 5-string shoot out:   http://www.statii.com/status_cats/reviews/15/index.html   Here are some of the specs as listed in that article:   Condition: very good with just a few minor flaws (see photos): surface scratch on the back of the bass; a slight string mark on the edge of the neck pickup; small mark on the back near the neck join.   This bass does not come with a case, so pickup preferred, but willing to discuss shipping.  Based in Bradford.  

• By OutSpoon
      For sales - my lovely Shuker 5-sting single-cut. I bought this from John in December last year, and he had just taken it back as a part exchange. It’s a beautiful bass to play, the neck join is exquisite. Pretty wide-range of sounds available from the Aaron Armstrong pickups. I’ve currently got it set as E-C but can put back to B-G if wanted. It’s great either way. Some more details below. 
      Happy to ship local and international (buyer pays) and it’s got a lovely Shuker hard-case (made by HISCOX). 
      I’ve just bought another bass (Ha!) so don’t really want trade. But would consider a sunburst p bass with some mojo.. 
      Anything that looks like a scratch or a ding in the pictures is just a trick of the light - there’s none! 
      I live near Reading in the UK if you want to pop round and have a slap. 🙂 
      34” scale
      24 frets
      Maple / black veneer laminated set neck
      Palmwood Fingerboard
      Stainless steel medium frets
      Black walnut headstock scarf
      Laurel Burr headstock facings front and rear
      Brass nut
      Gotoh GB707 tuners
      Two way truss rod, carbon fibre reinforcement
      Laurel Burr curvetop and rear facing
      Black Walnut body
      Polyester basecoat
      Polyurethane wet look gloss top coat
      Schaller 2000 bridge
      Black Hardware
      Aaron Armstrong pickups. 
      Blackout pre-amp with passive / active select (volume knob pull / push)