Why become a member? ×

THIS IS GOING TO CAUSE MUCH HYSTERIA..

12stringbassist

52 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I was lucky enough to interview John Hall about these basses on Friday.

Despite the normal Basschat stance on this issue, I can only say that he was absolutely charming and really very good company.

Without prejudice, but I have to say these two sentences sent a shudder through my spine, especially taking into account the man's bullying tactics against this site. 

If he's so lovely, lift the ban on selling Rickenbackers and Rickenfakers, then you'll probably see how absolutely charming he is.  I read online recently that the only reason he's never taken on eBay is because they'd destroy his company.

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Without prejudice, but I have to say these two sentences sent a shudder through my spine, especially taking into account the man's bullying tactics against this site. 

If he's so lovely, lift the ban on selling Rickenbackers and Rickenfakers, then you'll probably see how absolutely charming he is.  I read online recently that the only reason he's never taken on eBay is because they'd destroy his company.

He was absolutely charming to us in that context, and that's what we are reporting about. We did not raise the topic of Basschat "bullying" or his company's copyright-defending tactics, and wouldn't have wanted to.

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Not so sure about that.  When I was looking for Rickenbacker doublenecks, I was a lot more aware of what was coming up for sale and certainly at that time Rickenbacker regularly (and successfully) requested that eBay remove items that infringed their IP.

11 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't mind him protecting his business as he sees fit, I wouldn't expect Jack or Silvia to get involved with any of that. 

Has he not retired now and Ben taken over the running of the show? Or is that just to give him more time to trawl through the ads?😊

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Fair points made there mate, but for me as a non pick player, I do like the tops of the pick-up's to be parallel with the strings. It's one of the things that annoys me about Dingwall's, although with a couple of Super-Fatty's wedged together it kinda solves the problem. The thought of HAVING to buy a Zero-Mod for a new bass is a bit of a turn off. I would like to try one though. Great to see you two are having a good time.

I'd not thought about the top of the ugly as sin pickup not being parallel to the strings to facilitate use as a thumbrest. 

On my 4003 i got rid of the stupid pickup cover/handrest thing and fitted a "cove" bezel from Tubeampology which fills the massive hole around the pickup and I can rest my thumb in the cove or on the pickup itself. That is not an option on this bass , but wouldnt be a problem to me as I wouldnt spend $2500 dollars on a bass that looks worse than some 300 quid copies, no matter how well it sounded or played!

Re Dingwalls, angled frets dont look right either!😊

No interest in 5's. Just a personal thing but imo these new 5's would look much better without the scratchplate.

I have always loved the looks/sounds of 4001/4003. When I used to play with pick, no issues. Now I play with fingers, there is just too much ironmongery around.

For those who haven't played them, the 4004 (especially with flats) is imo a fabulous bass guitar. So wish I hadn't sold my 2 :(

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Despite the normal Basschat stance on this issue, I can only say that he was absolutely charming and really very good company.

Maybe they have changed his drugs. Or put him on some.

3 hours ago, karlfer said:

No interest in 5's. Just a personal thing but imo these new 5's would look much better without the scratchplate.

For those who haven't played them, the 4004 (especially with flats) is imo a fabulous bass guitar. So wish I hadn't sold my 2 :(

Would love a 5 string 4004. But I guess they don't do one, and if they did they would be way out of my price / value range.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:49, stingrayPete1977 said:

To clarify my position on Rics why we need to be insulted as to say we've never tried a good one the shoddy frets, shoddy binding,shoddy body colour finish bleeding into the white binding (every blue one I've seen), the shoddy bridge, shoddy sharp body edges, shoddy neck dive, shoddy splits in the head between the laminates, shoddy pickups with shoddy sharp edges has almost put me off trying them but it didn't, I've actual gigged one a couple of times before giving back. 

I've got a 2010 midnight blue one with no bleed - do I win a prize?

I agree that there are probably good and bad ones (anybody remember the famous 'peeling' paint incident?) but they aren't all like this.  Mine doesn't get that much use (my MMs and Mustang get most of my gig work as the Ric feels big to me in the usual confined spaces I get to work in) but it's a perfectly gigable bass with a good sound.  I know that you'll never be convinced that Rics can be ok (albeit verrrry overpriced now) but if we were all the same the world would be very tedious. 

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Certainly, it's not that I haven't tried to like them or looked for good ones though. Once I stopped playing four string basses I stopped looking at Rics in General.

One day maybe I'll have to eat my own words, and I will if needs be but so far they've all been shite xD

Nice to see you made the effort mate :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, the 4003 ain't my favourite bass (that accolade belongs to my sadly departed Status Streamline - must get another one at some point) I just think it's more quirky than crap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28 Jan 2018 at 19:42, BigRedX said:

Why do Rickenbacker even make any models that don't have the triangle inlays or binding. Surely these are essential iconic features of the brand?

The original 4001 basses didn't have the binding or the triangle inlays though - and the modern day 4003S models don't either. If you take a look at photos of Chris Squire and Paul McCartney's 1960s Rickenbackers you can clearly see this.

I'm not sure why the triangle inlays were replaced by dot markers on the 4003S, but I assume that there is no binding because the top edge of the body has a rounded profile as opposed to the regular 4003/4001 sharp-edged slab profile (see the photo below of my 4003S).  

ric_4003s.jpg

I suppose...

However when I was getting into rock music and the instruments that it was played with in the early 70s, one of the things that made Rickenbacker basses stand out was the triangle inlays. In fact for a while I assumed that Rickenbacker must be the go-to bass guitar since so many of the bass players in my favourite bands used one, and I was quite surprised to find that they also made guitars!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, matski said:

The original 4001 basses didn't have the binding or the triangle inlays though - and the modern day 4003S models don't either. If you take a look at photos of Chris Squire and Paul McCartney's 1960s Rickenbackers you can clearly see this.

I'm not sure why the triangle inlays were replaced by dot markers on the 4003S, but I assume that there is no binding because the top edge of the body has a rounded profile as opposed to the regular 4003/4001 sharp-edged slab profile (see the photo below of my 4003S).  

ric_4003s.jpg

Oh dear God, best looking S EVARRRRR :heart::heart:

• Like 1