Why become a member? ×

How to make a drummer quieter

Nicko

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1509622432' post='3400343']
Mic up their kit... give them IEMs... and then pump them a mix at a deafening volume. Curiously enough, they aren't so keen on smacking seven shades outta them...
[/quote]

Hmm, deliberately seeking to damage someone's hearing to make a point? Great idea...

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1509622275' post='3400341']
No, not another thread on an age old topic.

Our stickman turned up last night with a pair of earplugs. For some reason this ended up with him playing more quietly. Result.
[/quote]

That's very weird. I play a lot of drums and play a LOT quieter without my earplugs in, for obvious reasons

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1509622702' post='3400348']
Hmm, deliberately seeking to damage someone's hearing to make a point? Great idea...
[/quote]

Geez, lighten up.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509622934' post='3400353']
You've not much knowledge on in ears then?
[/quote]

Please educate me, surely pumping volume through IEM is the same as using in ear headphones at high volume which is widely believed to contribute to hearing loss.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1509623690' post='3400360']
Please educate me, surely pumping volume through IEM is the same as using in ear headphones at high volume which is widely believed to contribute to hearing loss.
[/quote]

I think that if you look through the IEM thread in the accessories section of this site, you will see that I am possibly the biggest supporter of quiet stages with IEM use at sensible volumes in an attempt to stop people playing at idiotic volumes and destroying their hearing. You will see me on loads of ear plug threads and IEM threads.

I think you missed the bit where the tongue was placed firmly in cheek.

My statement about seven shades though... It's still true though...

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1509622275' post='3400341']
Our stickman turned up last night with a pair of earplugs. For some reason this ended up with him playing more quietly. Result.
[/quote]
Could well be due to feeling like he doesn't have to compete against a loud guitarist? :ph34r:

The only way I know to make a drummer quiet.

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Sniper%20Ape_zpsqlf95fk2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Sniper%20Ape_zpsqlf95fk2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1509623690' post='3400360']

Geez, lighten up.

[/quote]

A proper iem system will have a protection level to start with then you are blocking all the real air movement and background noise out including the cymbals and replacing it with a processed mix of what the musician wants, in this case a kick drum and a general band mix probably.

That focused sound right in the ear will be doing far less harm than all that crashing and bashing you'd get normally.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509630566' post='3400435']
That focused sound right in the ear will be doing far less harm than all that crashing and bashing you'd get normally.
[/quote]
With the speaker only millimeters away from the eardrum it takes very little to move enough air to overload the hearing system. Since you have more control over IEMs you also need to take more care in keeping the volume down.

I have recently found sacking a drummer for not having the right dynamics works wonders. All the deps we've used since, (and will now be using again) plus our new permanent drummer have all been just great. Not one has had the same too loud problem and none of them need anything inserted into any orifices to help control lack of dynamics.

I haven't since needed to use more than one cab and the overall band volume/balance is nice. We have found that providing the gigs are there , there are an extraordinary large amount of very able and competent drummers around.

If we wanted to we could quite happily carry on gigging all next year by rotating and sharing gigs between 4-5 of them. We could get one of them in for a rehearsal for development purposes such as new material or arrangement changes, record it onto any thing as simple as an iphone, and share that with all deps.

Compared to the last guy with not just volume problems but other drummer related offences, this is all easy peasy.

Tell him about that. That might help turn it down. :D

Edited by bassjim

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1509625929' post='3400382']
The only way I know to make a drummer quiet.

[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Sniper%20Ape_zpsqlf95fk2.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: brilliant

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1509763448' post='3401521']
our drummer is a pro.

If he wants to play softly he uses rods instead of sticks, and, this is the complicated part that most drummers can't comprehend, he hits the drums more softly....

I KNOW, amazing
[/quote]

Don't believe you ;)