Why become a member? ×

Bass soloing/lead on blues

lownote

For those who think blues bass should be a melodic drum and never allowed above the 5th fret, and certainly never ever given a solo, and anything else is the Devil's work, I'm gonna call old Nick right out of his hole. Is there anyone on here who plays blues and has the hippy/ loony left/ revolutionary audacity to play a little bass lead? I'm not looking to start yet another bored Sunday morning exchange on the role of the bass, just to find out if any blues man or blues band is exploring the possibilities of a lead solo for the bass now and again. If so and you're that person I'd like to open a chat.

I've found myself playing mainly blues over the last couple of years, and to keep it interesting will "dual" with lead guitar during his solo and do the occasional short solo break (I'm not much of a fan of extended bass solos in any genre! :) )

John Entwhistle - who was always fond of a solo / lead part - was essentially rooted in blues, but for for sheer technical skill within very simple song structures whilst dovetailing effortlessly into the band sound I don't think you'd need to look further than Norman Watt-Roy's playing with Wilko

Edited by Shaggy

I've been asked to play a solo in a blues before now (normally the 12 bar format).

One of the best examples I can think of a blues song (albeit a jazz one) with solo bass is Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - the Marcus Miller version is nice and the bass solo towards the end has some killer phrases.

http://youtu.be/iAeeKDTPEw0

I play in an R'n'B trio, and my style of playing has always been quite lead-based (ie I play too much!). In our (blues structured) big finale, I have to take a little solo.

I've always been a fan of Noel Redding - ex-guitar player - but his work with Hendrix never fails to impress. Maybe not a bass player in the traditional sense (he is to me, he played a bass), but live, he would play multiple runs and almost solo at the same time as Jimi.

Not a 12-bar, but a great example of NR's style, and always a good excuse to post one of the greatest live clips in TV history -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw3UZ_XEkiA

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1503217067' post='3356433']
I play bass like a guitar during the solos in my blues band, probably a result of growing up listening to Jack Bruce on the live Cream stuff.
[/quote]

That's great to hear....you are not alone, FD!

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1503213734' post='3356407']
For those who think blues bass should be a melodic drum and never allowed above the 5th fret, and certainly never ever given a solo, and anything else is the Devil's work, I'm gonna call old Nick right out of his hole. Is there anyone on here who plays blues and has the hippy/ loony left/ revolutionary audacity to play a little bass lead? I'm not looking to start yet another bored Sunday morning exchange on the role of the bass, just to find out if any blues man or blues band is exploring the possibilities of a lead solo for the bass now and again. If so and you're that person I'd like to open a chat.
[/quote]
You need to check out the work of the amazing Colin Hodgkinson with Back Door, solo, Alexis Korner, many others.

Here's Robert Johnson's 32-20 Blues to get you started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVfqvIGLLp0

Jack Casady, with Jefferson Airplane (obviously...), but also in Hot Tuna with Jorma Kaukonen or more, held his own in the 'bass to the fore' genre, playing blues and much, much more. An example..? OK, but there's so much, it's tough to pick just one, but there's a neat tempo shift in this one...

[media]http://youtu.be/mjfhsLuOEWI[/media]

Edited by Dad3353

I'm not strictly a blues player, but it's where I started with learning bass & many of my bands over the years have had some blues songs in there. I'd never dream of staying down by the nut, that's just not right.
I'm not saying that every song I try & play a lead line or solo, far from it. What I do is try & emphasise what the singer is doing or build a crescendo up to a chorus or break.
If you listen to a lot of the upright players, not many of them stay at the nut, so why should the shoulder slung one be any different? There should be no dusty end!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1503230710' post='3356555']
Finally, don't expect applause! It happens, but the only guaranteed clapper is a drum solo, no matter how bad! ;)
[/quote]

People applaud the drummer at the end of his solo. They are celebrating the fact that it's over.

In a blues three-piece I try to keep the pulse while pushing the bass more into the foreground, little embellishments that sort of thing. In bigger outfits I fade into the background and keep it ridiculously simple. For three-piece R&B (the British pub variety) or Blues Rock I either hammer the roots or support the riffs.

On occasion I've gone batsh*t crazy and harmonised riff intros or endings (e.g. Rory's version of Messing with the Kid) but only by prior agreement; some guitarists can experience alarm and nausea when you whip away their foundation.

Full-on solo? Never been asked and I'd politely decline if I were :)

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1503238420' post='3356604']
[media]http://youtu.be/xOHNYFIDLpc[/media]

its the only way you'll get me near 'The Blues'
[/quote]

Haha... Excellent.!

On another note 'Hen Hoe Down' just put a big smile on my face...I mean that is you? Yes ? :D

The guitarist I'm playing with is fond of calling for bass solos on bluesy stuff during gigs, usually when we haven't discussed or rehearsed it and not even on the same songs each time. I always feel a bit deer-in-headlights about it, but it usually comes off OK. For some reason, I'm much more comfortable with it when doing acoustic gigs on double bass than I am on electric bass.