Why become a member? ×

Is it just me?! Bloody musicians...

AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1501602851' post='3345847']
Yeah, i think my problem stems from "ok to book the room?" And getting the reply "yeah great stuff" fully knowing letting us down on the day meant we'd have to fork out for it.

Not "sorry lads, been called in, do you want me to pay my bit?"

Not how I'd act.
[/quote]

Me neither, and you've got every right to be well pissed off !

Edited by ahpook

Some people want to be able to say they`re a musician/play in a band, but don`t appear to actually want to be a musician/play in a band. We see this a lot, people turn up with just guitars/sticks just before they`re meant to be on, expect to use the other bands backlines, then leave as soon as their set is finished. One guy I know put it very aptly, they`re not a band, they`re on a boys night out.

IMO, no it's not just you. However I think we should make a distinction here. Musicians and then Musicians in bands.

I know at least 2 outstanding guitarist who are also great musicians. Neither are in bands and have never had any success in bands.

My point, some excellent musicians are not band material. They can play but don't know how to be in bands.

They don't understand the responsibility of gigging or understand they have a specific role in a band. And in some cases you have to take orders from a band leader just like a boss in a regular job. Knowing or having the instinct to know when their opinion is not required would be tough for them.

You would think when you've been told "no" a few times you'd catch on. Not these guys.

I would never bring either into my band or give them a good reference to any working band.

Blue Edited by blue

I've had this with 4 singists so far.
First one kept missing rehearsals. So he got the sack.
2nd one - "Yeah, I'll let you know when I can make it". For 2 1/2 months we'd ask him each week if he could make it. Some weeks we'd send him message & he'd not get back to us. Never got to a jam, so he was let go.
3rd one had a local add up looking for musicians, but after contacting him he decided that he wouldn't be able to commit as he had a lot on (which is fair enough & I'm glad he did this at the start, rather than messing us about).
4th one turned up for audition, seemed to go quite well. A few days later he emailed saying that he felt out of his depth & wasn't going to bother being a singer & stick with guitar (again, fair enough).
It's so damn hard to get a committed reliable musician.

The guitarist is gonna try his hand a singing & we'll be a 3 piece.

The best bit... We've got a gig on the 25th of this month & only a couple of the songs have lyrics. :lol:

When I have been in bands I always turned up when told, even when I was getting over flu... that was really hard work.
Ironically, since I quit work I go on more holidays... so rather than block out whole weeks or fortnights I just don't gig anymore. I'd rather do that than become the dreaded thing I despise most... a flake.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1501580418' post='3345595']
...But my problem is, why do people get embroiled in things they don't actually want to do? Just odd.
[/quote]

I have to think twice these days because I'd easily commit with no thought for my advancing years. Is that maybe a factor?

It's such an attractive idea to recapture one's lost youth that it is hard not to jump at such an offer. Having slept on the idea however gives the mind time to go through all of the cons that were hidden by the initial excitement at the idea.

It might also be the result of discussion with senior management at home.

Good luck. I wish you triumph over adversity.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501581548' post='3345610']
Funny you should mention it. I have been in lots of bands, as a drummer, a guitarist and as a bassist, so no agenda. Had lots of problems with vocalists, and other musicians, but never with a bassist. Is it just me?
[/quote]
Ah - bassists - in my experience:-
Turn up on time
Play in time
Find the time to mend broken leads, stands etc.for everyone else in the band.
Find the time to counsel the guitarist whose girlfriend has just left him.
Somehow manage to find the time to get the girl singer pregnant (happened to two other bassists I knew)
And finally...........find the time to help audition a replacement bassist when he's had enough.......................

[quote name='musicbassman' timestamp='1501657157' post='3346195']
Turn up on time
Play in time
Somehow manage to find the time to get the girl singer pregnant (happened to two other bassists I knew)
And finally...........find the time to help audition a replacement bassist when he's had enough.......................
[/quote]

This sort of came up on a PM with another Basschatter a few days ago (in passing) about whether we tend to be more thoughtful and dare i say cerebral than other band members, and while there's possibly an element of "well, we would think that bass players are the most reliable, sensible members of any band wouldn't we" I do wonder if there is something that attracts that type of personality to playing the bass. That while there are plenty of examples of monstrous egos and bad behaviour amongst bass players, in general we understand the importance of servicing the song, not wanting to show off our individual skills with no regard for what anybody else is doing, and by extension we understand the idea of being part of the band, and being more than the sum of its parts better than others.

Bit of honesty here.

I can be a bit unreliable but only when others don't get their stuff together. The covers band I'm working with now take ages to learn new tunes....drives me nuts...
I've got no time for any of it and often have to make an excuse to get out of driving the 20 miles to a rehearsal when I know most of the time they will chatting rather than playing.

I guess Its the price I have pay for finding a band that don't take things too seriously, only do functions and play some nice stuff, cause when we do gig its actually pretty good fun and no pressure.

I'll say yes to almost anything involving playing the bass, so am hopelessly over-committed. I must learn to say no now and then! I think I am (technically) a member of 7 bands at present. One of them I haven't played with this year, another is just an occasional gig (I have my first one this year with them this month), another I've not heard from since I told them I wasn't prepared to run the business side of the band for them, one is a start-up tribute band that I've not heard from for 2 or 3 months, another is an originals band I have rehearsed with once, the sixth is another new band that I have rehearsed with 3 times in the last few weeks and shows some promise of being a good tribute act, the last is my blues/rock band who have been gigging once or twice a week for the last 4 years plus.

I really need to cut down a bit, easy to guess which will be culled!

Something similar.

Been getting fed up with the band Im in, so speaking to a drummer mate and suggest we get something together with a singer from his old band. Great idea says he, we can start up the old band. That was 9 weeks ago and after meeting up, phone calls and texts, what has happened?

Nowt.

These are experienced players who I have know for years not some bedroom players. No wonder people give up on the playing live thing.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='musicbassman' timestamp='1501657157' post='3346195']

Turn up on time
Play in time
[/quote]

The only time I get involved with the band members is when we're on stage.

Blue

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1501706283' post='3346835']
Something similar.

Been getting fed up with the band Im in, so speaking to a drummer mate and suggest we get something together with a singer from his old band. Great idea says he, we can start up the old band. That was 9 weeks ago and after meeting up, phone calls and texts, what has happened?

Nowt.

These are experienced players who I have know for years not some bedroom players. No wonder people give up on the playing live thing.
[/quote]

If my band folds, I'll probably never find another band with good paying consistent bookings.

Bands that are established ( been together with the same personal line up for at least 2 years with paying gigs ) are basically impossible to find.

Unlike most I ask crucial questions to bands looking for a bass player and claim to be established with gigs.

More times than not they're not established and have no gigs.

Blue

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1501706283' post='3346835']
Something similar.

Nowt.

[/quote]

You do always need that one person who's going to grab the reins, book the rehearsal studio and tell everybody "right, we're doing this". In my experience musicians are very good at sitting around complaining that nobody else has organised anything, while doing absolutely nothing to organise anything themselves (and my personal bugbear, the ones who never reply to e-mails or phone calls asking what dates they are free for rehearsals but then loudly complain that the band hasn't practised for ages, like it's all somebody else's fault).

If nobody else is going to do then perhaps you need to be that person, tell them all it's happening and get dates when they're free so you can book a studio.

Mind you, it is a thankless task.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501603613' post='3345856']
I agree,

I'd stay away from those with full time jobs and young families.

Also if the band is established with a busy gigging schedule I wouldn't bring anyone in with no current relevant gigging experience.

Blue
[/quote]

I understand your hesitation Blue, but let's face it, they are just hooks to hang an excuse on. I managed to rebuild a band with my drummer 3 times while holding down a full time job and have two kids under 4. Granted, we fit into the weekend warrior category, but it's still takes commitment.

You are either in it or you are not. If you want to make it work, you will.

Musicians are some of the flakiest people I have had the misfortune to meet. They can take the fun out of playing
Music in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, if you get the mix of personnel right, it's downright amazing!!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1502182759' post='3349740']
You are either in it or you are not. If you want to make it work, you will.

Musicians are some of the flakiest people I have had the misfortune to meet. They can take the fun out of playing Music in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, if you get the mix of personnel right, it's downright amazing!!
[/quote]

All very true.

Trouble is, you're dealing with compatibility squared.

It's not enough that the whole band be socially compatible, able to function as a team, be supportive of each other, equally hard-working for everything from the load-in to gig-hunting.

The whole band must also be musically compatible, at (roughly) the same skill and experience level, with matching degrees of grooviness or rockiness or whatever is needed for that band.

Achieving each of those two types of compatibility is bloody difficult. Achieving both at the same time is damned near impossible!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1502183957' post='3349764']

The whole band must also be musically compatible, at (roughly) the same skill and experience level, with matching degrees of grooviness or rockiness or whatever is needed for that band.

[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree with this part, I've been in lots of bands with vastly different abilities over the years, some have worked out ok and some haven't but never really due to the skill levels.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1502185177' post='3349781']

I'm not sure I agree with this part, I've been in lots of bands with vastly different abilities over the years, some have worked out ok and some haven't but never really due to the skill levels.
[/quote]

If you are not at the same skill level (and I have had this situation) you need to have musicians that can compliment the shortfall. In my case it helped make the sound!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1502185615' post='3349788']
If you are not at the same skill level (and I have had this situation) you need to have musicians that can compliment the shortfall. In my case it helped make the sound!
[/quote]

It depends, doesn't it? I've certainly developed a lot when playing in bands with people who are better musicians than me, sort of on the job learning.

But I've also been in bands with people who are stuck at their level. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the bands dis somewhat level down rather than up. No matter how good the lead guitarist is, if the rhythm guitarist can't get the backing chords right behind the solo then (without wanting to get into another debate about what the audience notices) that's the level you're stuck at.

I'm pretty much with Happy Jack here. the best bands I've been in from a personal and professional point of view, are the ones where we were the closest mates, and all played to the relevant musical standard required (and for one in particular it wasn't the highest musical standard, but it was appropriate for the gigs and the audience we were getting)

It's all down to compromise like any relationship.

You'll have a natural leader who needs to be able to take into consideration other people's views.

A band is essentially a team.

You don't have to be mates, you just have to work well with each other while performing and practicing and have good communication skills.

It works both ways, people aren't mind readers, sometimes you have to spell things out when they're not working as expected.