Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

They way I see it is: any live music on telly is better than no live music on telly at all.
[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1493759479' post='3290535']
Is it just me or will the cure and u2 be contacting future islands about their first song tonight?
[/quote]
That fella was fairly, errm, 'earnest' wasn't he? :lol:
The London Grammar lady has a very nice voice. Song wasn't bad either.
Binker & Moses were good but I reckon it'd get tiring after the second tune.
Orchestra Baobab I can't really comment on as they really weren't my cuppa char.
Blondie -- least said the better.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1493844048' post='3291274']
I didn't have a problem with DH's voice, she just looks a bit has-been sad these days.
[/quote]

She's 72!

A friend of mine is seeing Blondie at the Roundhouse tonight. He's put a few short live clips on Facebook & to be fair they're sounding pretty damn good.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493844320' post='3291279']

She's 72!

A friend of mine is seeing Blondie at the Roundhouse tonight. He's put a few short live clips on Facebook & to be fair they're sounding pretty damn good.
[/quote]71 actually - which still gets you a bus pass.
The band were tight and sounding great.

Just watched the Tuesday show on catch up. The first Blondie number was good, but Call Me showed that age has taken its toll, especially when Debbie appeared to forget the words in the middle 8. I liked Boabab, they do what they say on the tin. The drum and sax were desperately in need of a third player (perhaps a bass player, not that I'm prejudiced of course :D ) to sketch out the chords and add some groove. The sequenced bands were unexciting; the problem with sequencing and Future Islands were odd, well the singer was, especially the way he was ruining the detection pattern of the SM58 with his hand (rookie error). All in all, better than the last show I watched, but only just.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1494150515' post='3293599'] I really don't "get" Future Islands. While watching the last episode of Later..., I realised that the singer is actually the Club Singer from Shooting Stars. [/quote]

"None taken"

S. Herring

Heeheehee. He does some grunting the lad does. Still, if folk will buy Shane McGowan's drunken vocals I won't feel bad about liking Sam's style. I also credit him for upgrading the goose step to the ostrich step and thereby covering all of the big stage in Glasto with relative ease

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1493760607' post='3290543']
Blondie.......wtf!!!!!
not sure if that was just scary or embarrassing.....
[/quote]

I agree.

Regarding having 'Live' musicians on TV is good. Of course, it's always good.
But it's the nearly dead on that show that worry me. :)

Although the JH show needs to stay, it is hit and miss regarding quality (IMO) but then again,
everyone is going to have a different view, and that's good, ain't it ?
I can always find something on the show that I like, or at least is acceptable.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1494161864' post='3293695']
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Blondie fan from waaay back and the band are tight and sound good, but DH just doesn't cut it anymore.

She spends half the time speaking the lyrics (if she can remember them) and when she does sing, it seems a real effort.

I don't see much difference in the principle of slagging off Geddy Lee because he couldn't hit the high notes on the last tour and pointing out the DH should call it time for similar reasons. A hell of a lot of Geddy bashing went on here during R40 and it's no different in theory. I'm not sure how many would turn out for a Blondie gig with her not being there, so I would expect the lead singer to be on point for the money they charge.
[/quote]

Blondie was my first proper live gig, when I went to see her at the BIC with my wife in 1999 (my wife was 10 years older than me, so she was a teenager in the 70s). We had a great time and they sounded brilliant - so I have followed them closely since. However there has been a significant decline in DH's singing in the last decade. I watched them at Glastonbury a few years ago and it was not good. There was no sign of any improvement on Jools either - which is sad. Ironically my girlfriend in called Deborah and nicknamed Harry (boom tish), and she was not impressed with the Jools perfomances either.
Best performance of the night was the bass player with Future Islands - what a cracking tone. Pity there was this bloke staggering around "singing" over his playing. :D

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1494236889' post='3294139'] a cracking tone. Pity there was this bloke staggering around "singing" over his playing. :D
[/quote]
''Twas ever thus: vocalists, guitarists, keyboard players' left hands, etc - cue the entirety of BC nodding sagely in agreement.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1494224608' post='3294026']
To be fair, that's what the Les Paul was designed for,
[/quote]

I admit I wasn't around, but I don't think music involved many big rock chords and screaming solos in 1952.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1494236889' post='3294139'] Blondie was my first proper live gig, when I went to see her at the BIC with my wife in 1999 (my wife was 10 years older than me, so she was a teenager in the 70s). We had a great time and they sounded brilliant - so I have followed them closely since. However there has been a significant decline in DH's singing in the last decade. I watched them at Glastonbury a few years ago and it was not good. There was no sign of any improvement on Jools either - which is sad. Ironically my girlfriend in called Deborah and nicknamed Harry (boom tish), and she was not impressed with the Jools perfomances either. Best performance of the night was the bass player with Future Islands - what a cracking tone. Pity there was this bloke staggering around "singing" over his playing. :D [/quote]

Hahahahahaha. The Dad Dance, as someone quaintly put it earlier.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1494365662' post='3295472']
Enjoyed 10cc tonight!!
[/quote]

I love em, though at first with only one original I thought they wouldnt bethat good but they are a great live band. Hoping to see them at Wickham festival.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1492111328' post='3278104']
I mostly enjoy it. But this article does a good job of summing it up...

"Later with Jules Holland: a cockroach in the schedules"

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/apr/08/later-with-jools-holland-cockroach-schedules
[/quote]

depressing article for sure.... lots of great live music is happening just the media isn't there. we should get out our houses more

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1494408078' post='3295651']
I love em, though at first with only one original I thought they wouldnt bethat good but they are a great live band. Hoping to see them at Wickham festival.
[/quote]

Pedant alert but the drummer (Paul Burgess) played with them live back in the day: saw them at Leeds Uni in the 70's with 2 drummers, Kevin Godley and Paul Burgess.

I saw 10cc live a few years ago and they were musically great. My only compalint was that they were so good and tight that I felt I might as well have listened to a CD.
Don't get me wrong, I like good and tight, but the great thing about live music is that it can come out slightly differently every time, different solo's repeated verses, different banter etc. and I didn't get any of that with 10cc.

How good were 10cc? Extremely if you ask me. I forget just how good they were/are, although I'd have rather heard something other than Rubber Bullets (never one of my favourite tracks of theirs).

Ibibio Sound Machine pushed all the right buttons to get my interest; nice.

The Norwegian lass sounded OK, but I felt a song like that doesn't benefit from being done 'acoustically', it needed a rhythm section.

Joan Shelley was pleasant enough but a bit a bit soporific; more dynamics please.

The noisy, garage sounding Canadians didn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I like raw, but it needs something that makes you notice something different, X factor if you will.

Benjamin Booker, 2 very different genres played, neither of which were done particularly impressively and certainly didn't need Mr Holland tinkling away.

However, for all my finger pointing, 2 likes from me is still one more than usual.

So far in the series i have mostly only liked Goldfrapp and err that's about it. Still seems to be mostly about veterans from the dark ages (Blondie, 10cc), interchangeable indie bands, 'quirky' female singers from small European islands and um 'legends' to use JH's word. It's all very polite but Later's badly in need of some edge and energy. I'm not a fan as such but I'd welcome some extreme metal to shake things up.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1494416353' post='3295741']
Pedant alert but the drummer (Paul Burgess) played with them live back in the day: saw them at Leeds Uni in the 70's with 2 drummers, Kevin Godley and Paul Burgess.
[/quote]

Pedant Alert 2, :lol: 10cc started in 72 but Paul Burgess didnt join them as a touring member till 73

Hes a great drummer, and makes it look like its so easy