Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

Theres a great story about Graham Gouldman in Graham Nashes autobiography.

In his autobiography, [i]Wild Tales[/i], Nash said the band was introduced to “Look Through Any Window” when they were asked by a friend to listen to a budding young songwriter. “We go over to the address he gave us — a semi-detached house in one of the better neighborhoods in Manchester — to meet this so-called songwriter, a 15-year-old Jewish kid named Graham Gouldman. Now, we’re the Hollies — and we [i]know[/i] we’re the Hollies, so we’re not going to make it easy on him, kid or no kid. We’re sitting in this posh, middle-class living room, slipcovers on the sofas, nice art on the wall. I threw Mr. Songwriter one of my best stony stares and said, ‘Okay, kid — give it your best shot.’
“He picked up an acoustic guitar and started playing ‘[i]Bus stop, wet day, she’s there, I say, “Please share my umbrella …[/i]“‘ And it’s f—ing fabulous! Tony, Allan and I are cutting glances at each other, and … we [i]know[/i] this is a hit song. We know what we can do with it too, putting a Hollies spin on the tune. We were pretty excited, ready to rush out of there and get our claws into this song, when I said to him, ‘Uh, before we go … got anything else?’ Before the words were out of my mouth, he started singing, ‘[i]Look through any window, yeah, what do you see? / Smiling faces all around …[/i]‘
“We just stopped and stared. ‘Okay, kid — that’s two. We’re definitely taking those two. No question about it …,'” he continued. “Before we even got back home, Tony had put a gorgeous 12-string riff to the intro of ‘Look Through Any Window.’ The song was made to be sung by voices like ours. All the harmonies were [i]right there[/i], and in no time we turned it into a Hollies song. We recorded it in less than two hours and knew we had an instant hit on our hands.”

[b]Read More: [/b][url="http://ultimateclassicrock.com/hollies-third-album/?trackback=tsmclip"]How the Hollies Branched Out on Their Third Album[/url] | [url="http://ultimateclassicrock.com/hollies-third-album/?trackback=tsmclip"]http://ultimateclass...ackback=tsmclip[/url]

10 cc were superb. Reminded me how good they were back in the 70s and a major touring band. It's quite bizarre how some music like this nearly disappears off the radar in terms of radio airplay - this happened to ELO also until the revival in recent years.

For those of us reminiscing with rose tinted spectacles about the OGWT, I recall that rather like Later, it had its ups and downs and sometimes it was a pile of poo whereas others it was great - once again, as with any music programme of that type, it depends on your taste as to how much you like or dislike. The Tube is another - some phenomenal stuff on there - along with some not so good.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1494632274' post='3297545']
10 cc were superb. Reminded me how good they were back in the 70s and a major touring band. It's quite bizarre how some music like this nearly disappears off the radar in terms of radio airplay - this happened to ELO also until the revival in recent years.

For those of us reminiscing with rose tinted spectacles about the OGWT, I recall that rather like Later, it had its ups and downs and sometimes it was a pile of poo whereas others it was great - once again, as with any music programme of that type, it depends on your taste as to how much you like or dislike. The Tube is another - some phenomenal stuff on there - along with some not so good.
[/quote]I think you summed it up perfectly, horses for courses and all that. :)

Have to agree that 10cc were superb, obviously with the help of the backing tracks, and yes, it was dated, but quality musicianship none the less. ;)

Edited by thebrig

...For those of us reminiscing with rose tinted spectacles about the OGWT, I recall that rather like Later, it had its ups and downs and sometimes it was a pile of poo whereas others it was great - once again, as with any music programme of that type, it depends on your taste as to how much you like or dislike. The Tube is another - some phenomenal stuff on there - along with some not so good.
[/quote]

Was OGWT broadcast live as well?

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1494423059' post='3295843']
I saw 10cc live a few years ago and they were musically great. My only compalint was that they were so good and tight that I felt I might as well have listened to a CD.
Don't get me wrong, I like good and tight, but the great thing about live music is that it can come out slightly differently every time, different solo's repeated verses, different banter etc. and I didn't get any of that with 10cc.
[/quote]

Mmm, interesting lyrics though on the last verse of Rubber Bullets on the Tuesday edition.....

Edited by casapete

[/quote]

The thing about OGWT was that you had to watch it from start to finish. No recording it or ability to watch it later whenever you felt like it. As with all things consigned to the memory, the human brain tends to remember them as much better or worse than they actually were. That's where a lot of the magic is.

Any love for Ibibio Sound Machine? I had only heard them up 'till the Friday repeat of Jools' show. Not bad for saying they filled a cancellation at shortish notice. In fact I like them a lot more now. 10cc always makes me smile whoever is in the line up.

Oh, and I got full Dolby D surround this time. I had probably overlooked some deeply nested menu setting before. Lovely surround capture.

Does anyone else think that the Modfather's voice is going a bit Axl Rose? I actually thought it was Axl singing on the radio when they played one of Paul's new releases the other day.

Might be chronic constipation. I'll have to watch the repeat of LWJ on Friday to see what's going on.

Weller's bass player looked like the guy who was in a later version of Oasis. Glad Paul was around to lift the otherwise dire show.
As for the argument that any music shows are better than none; music shows are like parents - better none at all than bad ones.

I think the show got it about right. Not accounting for personal taste, there were well known acts and a mix of fairly obscure and older stuff. I think its better than simply putting on a load of acts that are only on because they have a new album out.

I enjoyed Paul Weller, especially his new song 'Long long road'. Wasn't sure about the string section though,
poor balance and a few tuning issues maybe? I'm not a massive PW fan, but like his more recent stuff.
Thought Naturally 7 were amazing too.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1495611118' post='3305192']
I appreciate that we all have different tastes, and that's great, but for me, I found tonight's show totally underwhelming. :unsure:
[/quote]
Absolutely, and I can see that. I was in the mood to not be overwhelmed, quite like that quality in music sometimes.