Why become a member? ×

Later with Joolz last night

spectoremg

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1508835062' post='3394653']
I always go on iPlayer and give everything 30-60 seconds. That's enough to tell me if I want to persist. There are just several genres I won't touch with several bargepoles attached to end and unfortunately for me they're very popular with the producers of Later
[/quote]

Would you like it if everyone judged your music by the first 30-60 seconds? Sure, that's what the public will most likely do, but as musicians I thought we'd have a bit more appreciation as to the amount of effort that goes into any song that gets onto Jools, even if it's crap. Be the change you want to see

To be fair, most of the time 60 seconds is enough to know if it will be your thing or not. I try to listen to a wide variety of music beyond those sorts of bands I know I might like as occasionally you can hit gold, but even then 60 seconds is almost always enough for something to click. The exception for me is Jazz, I have tried it many times (especially as a mate in our band is a bit of a fan on the side to keeps trying to 'convert' me) but it just does nothing but bore or irritate me.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1508880061' post='3395167']
some woman in white playing a piano - WTF - this programme has seriously lost the plot.
[/quote]

:lol:

WTF, some woman in white, is in fact, Hiromi. A very serious, skilful musician.
:)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFXphyC-et8[/media]

Edited by lowdown

It doesn't matter how serious and skilful a musician you are if people don't like the music you are making then your skill and seriousness is irrelevant.

I quite liked that - play it using 8-bit synth sounds and stick a breakbeat behind it and you have Plustech Squeeze Box!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1508924340' post='3395326']
:lol:

WTF, some woman in white, is in fact, Hiromi. A very serious, skllful musician.
:)

[/quote]

Indeed!
Check out her stuff with Hiromi's SonicBloom (with Dave Fiucynski), her Trio (with Anthony Jackson), and the stuff she did with the Stanley Clarke Band and Screaming Headless Torsos.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUU19Cnf-0[/media]

[quote name='Spaced' timestamp='1508878666' post='3395140']
Would you like it if everyone judged your music by the first 30-60 seconds?
[/quote]

The vast majority of everything performed on Later will have said everything it has to say well within the first 60 seconds. :(

IMV The Later programme is a gem - its great, it gives you a sampler of the bands on the main show over 30 mins. I don't like it all, but I'm quite happy to give the artists - particularly those that I haven't heard before a chance - this series each show, I've found something that I like.

Where I struggle is the older artists - who have had their careers and don't need the exposure, that and Jools Holland playing piano

Would you like it if everyone judged your music by the first 30-60 seconds? Sure, that's what the public will most likely do, but as musicians I thought we'd have a bit more appreciation as to the amount of effort that goes into any song that gets onto Jools, even if it's crap. Be the change you want to see
[/quote]

The majority of music on Later is rock-based where your average composition somewhere around the 4 minute mark. IMO if you haven't been able to give your audience a good idea of what your music is all about in the first quarter of your song then you haven't really succeeded as a musician or composer.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1508933814' post='3395441']
I think that is a bit of an oversimplification BRX.....what about the likes of early Zappa or Stockhausen?
[/quote]

I don't think that Stockhausen counts as rock, and from what I've heard I not very much of Frank Zappa's output does either.

The fact is, with the majority of acts on Later fall into the rock and pop categories, most listeners should be able to make up their minds whether or not the music is worth further investigation after 60 seconds worth of listening.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1508880061' post='3395167']
Just switched channels to check out this weeks music, some woman in white playing a piano - WTF - this programme has seriously lost the plot.
[/quote]

Fine to say you don’t like something but ignorance of who or what you are watching and sweeping statements about the program as a whole based on said “just switched channels” says far more about you than your opinion does about said act or program.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1508925301' post='3395342']
True - But equally, because one doesn't like the music being made, that doesn't mean the programme has seriously lost the plot. Or come to think of it, neither does a white dress or being a woman.
[/quote]

Fact - it was a woman in a white dress and she was playing a piano.
If it was a bloke in a white suit I would have stated a bloke in a white suit.

Edited by steantval

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1508938749' post='3395500']

I don't think that Stockhausen counts as rock, and from what I've heard I not very much of Frank Zappa's output does either.

The fact is, with the majority of acts on Later fall into the rock and pop categories, most listeners should be able to make up their minds whether or not the music is worth further investigation after 60 seconds worth of listening.
[/quote]

I’ll concede your point on Stockhausen....I was working on your ‘composer’ reference but I think you’re splitting hairs on Zappa, there’s a lot of distinctly rocky output from old Frank. Which makes the point that 30-60 seconds of one song should hardly be considered definitive of an act’s ‘music’?

Only on BC could there be an argument over whether 60 seconds would be long enough to evaluate the music of a dead musician if he ever appeared on a TV programme that he never did and, for obvious reasons, never will :lol:

I broadly agree with BRX's point -- with [b]the majority of[/b] acts on Later, 60 secs is long enough. 10 is enough for some :lol:

[/quote]

As the vast majority of pop music (in the general sense) is repetitive, by the end of the first minute you'll usually have heard a couple of verses and the chorus already. Sure, prog and some electronica don't tend to follow the verse-chorus pattern but then Later hardly ever shows these types of music.

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1509001097' post='3395839']
Only on BC could there be an argument over whether 60 seconds would be long enough to evaluate the music of a dead musician if he ever appeared on a TV programme that he never did and, for obvious reasons, never will :lol:

I broadly agree with BRX's point -- with [b]the majority of[/b] acts on Later, 60 secs is long enough. 10 is enough for some :lol:
[/quote]

Usually I know in the first 60 seconds or so whether this sort of debate is for me or not. As the vast majority of [i]is-not[/i] vs [i]is-too[/i] debates are repetitive I'll usually have heard the main points of either side by the end of the first minute already.

One thing about Later that strikes me is that not many folk are ambivalent about it and there is certainly no shortage of viewers. I love it when folk watch something just to slag it off.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1509025922' post='3396136']

One thing about Later that strikes me is that not many folk are ambivalent about it and there is certainly no shortage of viewers. I love it when folk watch something just to slag it off.
[/quote]

But you never know what level of crap will be on unless you do watch it. Personally i want to like what i hear, but i seem to be amongst those that give it 30 secs before knowing if something will appeal to me. Normally ill wait until the vocals come in, but sometimes you just tell its going to be one of those 'arty farty ambient' acts with no real substance or 'tune'. i'd include Zappa in that category as well. :ph34r:

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1509029344' post='3396171']
But you never know what level of crap will be on unless you do watch it. Personally i want to like what i hear, but i seem to be amongst those that give it 30 secs before knowing if something will appeal to me. Normally ill wait until the vocals come in, but sometimes you just tell its going to be one of those 'arty farty ambient' acts with no real substance or 'tune'. i'd include Zappa in that category as well. :ph34r:
[/quote]

That is the funniest thing that I've read on here for some time.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1509038337' post='3396251']
That is the funniest thing that I've read on here for some time.
[/quote]

Now we are both amused. For the record i cant stand Zappa, never have, never will. His music bores me so much. So many notes and so little appeal. That, of course is my opinion. Being BC im sure that's not allowed any more though :-(