Why become a member? ×

I go off all my basses.... Occasionally

Grangur

... but not all the time.

I have 5 basses and fall in and out of love with each of them at times. Sometimes I can play them all in an evening and find there's not one that I like much at all.

Am I alone in this? Am I peculiar?

Edited by Grangur

Yes. I am exactly the opposite. I love all of mine. So when I realise I have too many and that I should sell some, I pick them up to sell them and realise they are the best thing ever and I would be mad to sell them, so I don't!

Would love to cut down to 5 though :D

Sometimes I wonder if bass life would be easier with just one bass. But then I realise I have 4 for a reason.

Personally, I mostly pick up the one that I have a gut feeling for. Occasionally some basses just suit my mood that time, other times I pick up a bass and realise I'm not in the mood as much as I thought, so it isn't the basses fault.

It helps though when you have basses that you know are excellent and very well suited to you, then you know it just isn't your night to play.

Yes, I too feel some envy for folk who are honestly happy with a single bass. What we don't know, of course, is if those lucky guys are active bassist or if they play simple lines in a band once a week, and never touch it from one week to the next.

I have one that I have a love hate relationship with. It's heavy as hell but still manages to have horrendous neck dive. It is not great to play for any length of time but the sound is truly gorgeous. As soon as I plug it in I forgive and love it, then end up hating it again in half an hour when the weight and neck dive shows itself. The one I play the most and always love is a cheap and fairly battered old Aria that sounds good but is just perfect to play for me. It's always the one I reach for if I want a serious session or to learn something tricky on.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491030765' post='3269913']
Yes, I too feel some envy for folk who are honestly happy with a single bass. What we don't know, of course, is if those lucky guys are active bassist or if they play simple lines in a band once a week, and never touch it from one week to the next.
[/quote]

There is that for sure. It also may be that they are active but have a bass that covers the styles they want, or that they are not looking to tick as many boxes as us?

I know that'd I'd be very happy, and be well covered with just my Lull PJ4 and MM Sabre. But... my Jazz and vintage P are both stunners that I get enjoyment out of, so why not while I can? ;)

The only bass I actually hated was a Yamaha BEX4. Looked lovely when I bought it, but after one long rehearsal it felt like my left arm was going to drop off... just didn't work. I currently "hate" my MIA jazz... because it's not a P. I think it needs a P sibling, then I'm sure they'll both get along fine.

[/quote]

I ordered a custom bass to my spec and it's perfect. I still practice 2/3 hours a day with regular gigging and rehearsals on top and could honestly say that I could happily only own that bass and be happy. It can do everything and feels perfect for me. I have more but rarely pick them up and feel happy playing them. It is possible, you just need to find the right bass (so buy more until you find it ;)!)

Two thoughts from me:

1 life is too short to surround yourself with things you don't love IMO . Sell them and buy basses you do love. (Of course the caveat is what you can afford - if a a Harley Benton deko is what you can afford then learn to love the best bass you can afford, we all have to spend within our means)

2 choice sometimes kills contentment. Some folk buy a lot of instruments cos they love them, some for their income need a few different tools, others buy cos they don't love any of them...
... cure for that is find one you love, but I think that sometimes comes down to picking one instrument, using it for most your gigs and practices for a couple of months, stop reading as many bass forums and learning to be content.

3 oh and never underestimate new strings being good :)

Oh, I do love my basses too on occasions. Also, just to make life difficult; so does Mrs G. I've already sold one which was one of her favourites.

New, different strings is an option of course. I also should level the frets on one of them to make the experience better.

[/quote]

I doubt there is a correlation between the two. Some people love getting new things, some people find one thing and stick with it, I think it is more down to personality then activity.
I have way more basses than Scott Devine, but I am guessing he plays more than I do!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1491041943' post='3270037']

I doubt there is a correlation between the two. Some people love getting new things, some people find one thing and stick with it, I think it is more down to personality then activity.
I have way more basses than Scott Devine, but I am guessing he plays more than I do!
[/quote] might be a better player too? 😁