Why become a member? ×

But it's not real music, they dont use proper instruments..

Barking Spiders

is a common whinge among many music fans on Internet forums viz techno, hip hop, House etc. Personally I don't care how music is made just as long as it sounds good to my ears and feet. But I've come across many posters who can get quite worked up about 'electronica' and the use of laptops sequencers, samplers etc saying these genres aren't proper music. That said a lot of so-called dance/electronica combos do use real instruments live and sometimes in the studio. Just wondrin' what basschatters think. Feel free to vent your spleen if the mood takes you :D

I've been involved in the house scene and TV advertising and using virtual instruments in no way frees you from the obligation to come up with good ideas and record and produce them in a creative way.

I like playing bass in a 'real' band, but anyone who says producing electronic music is in some way 'easier' or 'unreal' is talking out of their arse.

There are a number of tunes without "proper instruments" that I like. That being said there are many more that I dislike. For me there has to be some level of talent involved in the making of the music, so if someone's talented with the use of a laptop and keyboard so be it. I'd rather listen to that than a really bad guitar group down the pub that calls themselves a band.

It's all about context.

If I had to listen to a Wayne Shorter tune at 3am in a sweaty club full of ravers I would start crying and go home. But I would happily jam over the same tune at band rehearsal for 4 hours straight. Everything has its place. If you don't like electronic music, turn it off. If you don't like live music, don't go to gigs.

Personally speaking, i've just silenced two massively annoying shouting children next door by blasting out the tune below into their bedroom wall, so as far as i'm concerned electronic music is a godsend.

https://soundcloud.com/divisionrecordings/all-mode-insight

Edited by project_c

I went to see the Pet Shop Boys last week, and I would challenge anyone who would say it wasn't a 'proper' gig. Great tunes, fantastic light show & sound, and 3000-ish very, very happy punters.

In fact, I would say that the only weak link in the show was actually the use of two live musicians! They had a pair of percussionists on stage, who, aside from providing backing vocals, could very easily have been replaced by a single competent drummer, and who would have given a better feel, as well.

I think the new wave of electronic music is the new punk! Delta heavy, calyx & teebee, crystal castles, flux pavilion, and skrillex to name just a few are producing genuinely exciting stuff.
Daws and soft instruments open up a world of opportunities for young people to get their ideas out. More power to them.

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1488218583' post='3246915']
I went to see the Pet Shop Boys last week, and I would challenge anyone who would say it wasn't a 'proper' gig. Great tunes, fantastic light show & sound, and 3000-ish very, very happy punters.

In fact, I would say that the only weak link in the show was actually the use of two live musicians! They had a pair of percussionists on stage, who, aside from providing backing vocals, could very easily have been replaced by a single competent drummer, and who would have given a better feel, as well.
[/quote]

I'm sure it was enjoyable as a spectacle, and there are many other forms of immersive entertainment that have huge artistic value - however it's not a gig IMHO... But I suspect this is an argument that has no right answer, only opinions... Now lets bring in the "backing track argument" and we'll be at 21 pages before we know it... :-)

Edited by markstuk

Anything that is used to make noise can be described as an instrument and music is, amongst other things, 'an expression of emotion'.
It's all valid, sometimes it resonates and sometimes it doesn't. I try hard not to be dismissive these days but some stuff is patently not for me so I don't listen to it.
It's immaterial what you make music with, it all has a place.

Edited by skb558

A lot of music I hear on the radio has no identifiable musical instrument playing on it. In many cases the instrumental part of the track is just a pad of mush. The creator of the track, is not trying to emulate any known acoustic or electric instruments. In many cases there is hardly any human element in the track at all. Even the vocals have been sampled and autotuned and bear very little resemblance to what originally came out of a human mouth.

The stuff I reserve my contempt for is the low end, mass market tosh, pumped out by soulless corporations.

But I do concede there is some very beautiful electronic music too.

On the whole though, I do like to hear human beings playing instruments, not sequencers.

I can't stand Techno, House, Hip Hop, Trance etc. but that's got nothing to do with what instruments are or are not used, it's just not my sort of thing. I've got no problem with synths, sequencing etc in general.
There's plenty of godawful dross made with "real" instruments, so I'd never use that as a yardstick for measuring the quality of a piece of music.

Edited by RhysP

My favorite 'band' is Autechre, and by some distance. There a lot of people who don't think this is music of any sort - proper or otherwise. I actually listen to very little music with 'real' instruments on, other than the stuff I play. However, there are plenty of people who think that amplifying your instrument is cheating and even frets are a bit dodgy. This kind of thinking is a ghetto IMO. Good music is all about good ideas.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1488215487' post='3246879']
is a common whinge among many music fans on Internet forums viz techno, hip hop, House etc. Personally I don't care how music is made just as long as it sounds good to my ears and feet. But I've come across many posters who can get quite worked up about 'electronica' and the use of laptops sequencers, samplers etc saying these genres aren't proper music. That said a lot of so-called dance/electronica combos do use real instruments live and sometimes in the studio. Just wondrin' what basschatters think. Feel free to vent your spleen if the mood takes you :D
[/quote]

I try to avoid getting into ruts caused by conventional thinking. Sometimes however it is a comfortable option. I'm with you in that I don't care too much. If it makes my feet tap and my head sing, it's good.

Bowie's Space Oddity would be compromised without the stylophone bit for example.

[attachment=239294:RolfsStylophone.png]

er... er... oops

I used to have a real problem when i was in my teens and early twenties about bands not having 'proper' instruments. This was late 80s, early 90s so it was the time of rave and dance culture when a line-up of guitar, bass and drums was non-existent in much of those acts' line-ups. It wasn't until I heard The Prodigy a fair few times that I realised I was basically cutting myself off from so many forms and styles of music due to some outdated notion of what 'real' bands were. Silly, really. Decided there and then to listen to and absorb as much variety as possible. You still might dislike a lot of things but by opening up you're bound to come across something that otherwise would've remained hidden to you.

Well, it's an opinion, but who cares?

It's a bit like photographers who don't consider digital photography as 'real' - whatever 'real' might mean.

As far as I'm concerned, one thing results in something you can hear and the other in something you can see. If you like the end result then it's all good :) If you don't, then just move on. No need to disparage other people's work.

I don't yet play in a band but I love using Ableton Live - it makes me think about the music as a whole. I also have a Novation Circuit - you have to play that 'live' to get the best out of it and it definitely helps you to knock up a tune easily.

If you like electronic stuff, have you listened to Si Begg? He's off the scale for me - must take him ages to record the noises, mess about with them and then build a track that doesn't have any signs of lazy programming.