Why become a member? ×

When your fiancé knows you

Callumjord

So it's less than 17 months until I get married and today my fiancé dropped the news that to celebrate us getting married she wants to gift me with a high end/custom bass!! (I always new from the start that she was a keeper!)

I am now in a state of joy and confusion. Joy over such a gift and confusion as I have absolutely no idea what I would like!

I have been playing a Yamaha Rbx 775 for the past 10 years and was thinking about buying one of the newer trbx 505s some point after getting married. However the idea of a higher end/custom bass is really appealing, however, I just don't know where to start looking?

I have heard great things about AC guitars and Alpher instruments, but then I have seen what Dingwall has to offer.

Does anybody have any advise/life experience they would like to share with me?

Thanks,

From a very happy, but very confused, basschatter

Personally there's not a lot to say about it I don't think, otherwise it's just a whole thread of "try this bass....try that bass because I like it".

If you go down the 'off the shelf high-end' route, take your bass along to Bass Direct, Bass Gallery and/or Manchester Bass Lounge and try a LOT of stuff in comparison to yours. Even if they're a bit of a trip, they're all treasure troves, so worth it.

If you go down the custom route, you have to ensure that the resulting bass will be as good as, if not better (hopefully better), than what you're playing now, otherwise it's a waste. Make a list of what you do like about your bass, and what you don't (and be critical). With any new bass comes some bedding in, especially after playing the same thing for 10years, but if you try for something that encompasses the things you do like, and fixes the things you don't, then getting used to it shouldn't take too long.

Quite frankly, you may just find that you go with a really high-end Yamaha.....keep it in the family and all that.

Enjoy
Si

Yes, definitely get along to some of the topper bass emporiums and try a range of different models by different makers. Where are you based? If you can get along to a Bass Bash somewhere near you there will likely be a huge range of unusual and custom basses in the "show and tell" rooms. The range of basses at the last SE Bass Bash was astonishing.

You could also start thinking about what you really love in a bass... must be passive/love the flexibility of XYZ active circuit... ...coffee table or understated... ...rosewood, ebony or maple... ...Jazz, P or soapbars... ...two a side or four a side... ...4, 5, 6, 8 strings... ...narrow nut/baseball bat... ...balsa wood or boat anchor... At least then you might start narrowing down options to a theoretical spec (which of course could be blown out of the water when you try a chalk and cheese bass but fall in love with it). That's all part of the fun of a custom build.

And when you've done all that just come to your senses and order a Wal. [i][[b]NB[/b] this last statement may not be entirely unbiased][/i]

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1485960221' post='3228030']
If high-end/custom basses are so good, how come so many top professionals/bass gods use regular instruments?

Perhaps they're in it more for the music than the gear?
[/quote]
£$ more like

My point was that for top professionals money is usually no object yet many still use regular instruments (would be interesting to know the ratio).

For most players, I'd suggest that spending some money on a good set-up would be a more useful investment than a whole new custom bass, but of course this whole issue is not about the fitness of an instrument to do a job it's about fashion and vanity. I've no problem with either, just let's be honest about it.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1485882446' post='3227487']
Personally there's not a lot to say about it I don't think, otherwise it's just a whole thread of "try this bass....try that bass because I like it".

If you go down the 'off the shelf high-end' route, take your bass along to Bass Direct, Bass Gallery and/or Manchester Bass Lounge and try a LOT of stuff in comparison to yours. Even if they're a bit of a trip, they're all treasure troves, so worth it.

If you go down the custom route, you have to ensure that the resulting bass will be as good as, if not better (hopefully better), than what you're playing now, otherwise it's a waste. Make a list of what you do like about your bass, and what you don't (and be critical). With any new bass comes some bedding in, especially after playing the same thing for 10years, but if you try for something that encompasses the things you do like, and fixes the things you don't, then getting used to it shouldn't take too long.

Quite frankly, you may just find that you go with a really high-end Yamaha.....keep it in the family and all that.

Enjoy
Si
[/quote]

^ This is the best advice you'll ever get. A wedding present bass will be something you'll never sell so you must make sure that you end up with something you'll love. If i was you i would avoid having a custom build made because there are too many variables and a big percentage of you ending up with something that's quite not what you were looking for.

Go to stores and try everything you can. I agree with Si that after 10 years playing the 775 you'll end up with a high end Yamaha as it will be very familiar to your current bass but with better quality and sound. I'm suspect for saying this but if you can find a TRB5PII (yes, i have one of those) you'll be quite happy.

I upgraded from a RBX375 to the TRB and been happy ever since.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1485943732' post='3227822']
Maybe you should show her you're a keeper by not going for the most expensive thing you can find ;)
[/quote]

Absolutely, buy a used bass if you're not bothered with that and pass the savings to help fund the wedding. She will be very happy with you and may offer that savings in the way of a new amp or cab... well, you're already at the music store, might aswell take that lovely WT-800... ;)

Congrats

I wouldn't necessarily say don't go custom.....but I do agree you're more likely to find something you really love if you can try it first.
But that then comes back to making a list of what you like and what you don't like about yours, for example if you absolutely love the neck on your bass, if you have a custom and the luthier is UK based, there would be no issue in them measuring your Yamahas neck and cloning that on the custom build.
So yeah......there's pros and cons (or perhaps pros and more pros depending on your outlook) for both ways :)

Si

I wouldn't go for a custom build even knowing and having the experience with basses that i have today. OP has had the same middle range bass for the last decade, i'm not sure if he has tried lots of other basses in this period or not so it may be dificult to choose between all the features available on a custom build. It's too easy to go for a set of features that individualy are great in a number of diferent basses but put all together may not give a great result.

Best way to go custom is to find a builder with a good stock of his own builds and try all of them to see wich features you like the most in each one of them. Have the builder build a prototype unfinished bass to check for feel, balance, pickup placement, electronics, etc, replacing parts until achieving final configuration. Then take some sound advice from the builder regarding any issues the build may bring and only then jump in to the final build.

It's an expensive route to go custom and may not end with the perfect bass, IMO there's more cons then pros, but if you take your time and have a good luthier at your side it's possible to find the keeper.

It's a bad situation (and i know of a lot of people in it) to have a custom bass that doesn't meets the expectations. After spending several k£'s on a bass built to each own's features it's hard to find somebody looking for the same thing who wants to buy it so custom builds often end on the market at a huge lost for the seller.

NOTE: I'm not saying not to order a custom build, i just want the OP to be aware of what might go wrong.

cynically old me, I wonder what she's expecting off you? if she says nothing and you get her nothing you could be in big trouble and if you spend the same as her what's the point? I know I know pragmatism to a fault, sorry for being such a miserable bastard

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1485882446' post='3227487']

Enjoy
Si
[/quote]

Good advice +1 for this

Dave