Why become a member? ×

When your fiancé knows you

Callumjord

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1485882446' post='3227487']
Personally there's not a lot to say about it I don't think, otherwise it's just a whole thread of "try this bass....try that bass because I like it".

If you go down the 'off the shelf high-end' route, take your bass along to Bass Direct, Bass Gallery and/or Manchester Bass Lounge and try a LOT of stuff in comparison to yours. Even if they're a bit of a trip, they're all treasure troves, so worth it.

If you go down the custom route, you have to ensure that the resulting bass will be as good as, if not better (hopefully better), than what you're playing now, otherwise it's a waste. Make a list of what you do like about your bass, and what you don't (and be critical). With any new bass comes some bedding in, especially after playing the same thing for 10years, but if you try for something that encompasses the things you do like, and fixes the things you don't, then getting used to it shouldn't take too long.

Quite frankly, you may just find that you go with a really high-end Yamaha.....keep it in the family and all that.

Enjoy
Si
[/quote]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1485883982' post='3227496']
Basschat has mulled the "high end" bass thing over at length before. More than once as I recall.

I think the consensus is generally that there are basses that cost a lot more than others, but a significant price tag doesn't guarantee it will be any better to you than one at a fraction of the cost.

As Si suggested, when approaching this sort of thing, you really do have to know what ticks your boxes and that can only be achieved by playing LOTS of different instruments. Once you've done that, go out and play some more.

The worst thing you can do is make the wrong choice and end up not playing it and ultimately selling it on. That may not go down too well with the soon to be Mrs.Callumjord!
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice! of course my biggest worry is with ending up with a bass that my fiance has spent a lot of money on and I can't gel with it as much as my Yamaha.

I have been writing down a list of everything I like about my basses, everything I don't and stuff I wish they could do.

Lucky I now have an excuse to go visit some guitar stores. A couple of trips down to Glasgow might just be called for.

I am also visiting London later on in the year so I might just have to get some of the bigger stores.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1485943732' post='3227822']
Maybe you should show her you're a keeper by not going for the most expensive thing you can find ;)
[/quote]

The first thing I did was actually question her and make sure this is what she wanted to do! I don't plan on going for the most expensive thing I can find. I am not sure that a 2k bass would play that much better than a £700 one.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1486071171' post='3229086']
I'm getting married in a couple of months so I'm going to print this out and leave it kind of in the house
[/quote]

Haha! hopefully your fiance will take the hint!

I wouldn't personally go custom. I'd try to work out what you really want, then see what is available....didn't read the whole thread but I assume there is a ceiling on price?

There is SO much to choose from now.

If you wanted a high end 5 string Jazz, I'd personally opt for Sadowsky. Every time.

If you want a Musicman type tone, just get a Musicman...don't bother with a custom. As your Yamaha is fairly modern looking, you might like the Bongo...they are completely crazy but play so well. The tone is so precise and 'quick'...

Precision bass? Tough...actually nowadays I wouldn't say a Fender 5 string P...I don't like the new Professional Series specs and colours but that's me.

Sandberg do a nice modern style take on a P and J.

Roscoe might be your thing...plus they have some lovely new traditional looking gear coming out.

If you like your Yamaha, perhaps just a high end Yamaha?

Edited by Musicman20