Why become a member? ×

Noel Gallagher doesn't like Jazz Music.

bubinga5

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1483731702' post='3209720']
well you saw fit to open a thread about it calling him stupid... so you could argue that it irked you enough to do that.

for the record, i don't like jazz either, it grates on my ears.

that said, i have great respect for talented jazz players, i just don't like the genre.
[/quote]I call him stupid because of the way he comes across in the vid that i posted. i did say, maybe i missed something, or maybe its a bit tounge and cheek. Like i said he writes some great music, but to dismiss Jazz like he does is stupid. To dismiss a jazz audience as he does, and maybe an amazingly talented band that is way beyond what he could play, but not be as popuar, is stupid. Its a great musician making stupid comments, and thats why i loose respect for him. i can't see any other way of seeing it.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1483733668' post='3209748']
I agree with him about jazz. I hate it. I hate rap and hip hop too.
[/quote]I'm with you timmo, except maybe Take 5 the odd Kenny Ball song and Fight for your right to party, not sure that counts as rap or hip hop, hell I don't even know the difference between rap and hip hop, is there one?
Always like Noel's interviews, he doesn't take himself too seriously, and anybody that does takes themselves far too seriously

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483732340' post='3209732']
I call him stupid because of the way he comes across in the vid that i posted. i did say, maybe i missed something, or maybe its a bit tounge and cheek. Like i said he writes some great music, but to dismiss Jazz like he does is stupid. To dismiss a jazz audience as he does, and maybe an amazingly talented band that is way beyond what he could play, but not be as popuar, is stupid. Its a great musician making stupid comments, and thats why i loose respect for him. i can't see any other way of seeing it.
[/quote]
a lot of the stuff the Gallagher do is to court controversy to boost their profile, they always have done. on the other hand, it may be his opinion, and regardless of who it offends, he is entitled to it

I like Noel. He is one of the few honest guys left in the music industry. Says what he thinks and doesnt give a monkeys what you or I think about it.

Jazz ain`t really my bag but some of the Quincy Jones stuff is fantastic. However, I have heard the type of Jazz music that he describes in the video and he is spot on.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483738483' post='3209804']
Do you/He actually think that about Jazz.? Jazz is way bigger than what he's talking about.
[/quote]

Last time I hung out with Jazz it seemed more than happy doing its own thing.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483738483' post='3209804']
Do you/He actually think that about Jazz.? Jazz is way bigger than what he's talking about.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I think he does. Have you heard what he says about Ned Sheeran?

Still if you watch all the videos with the fan in it, he gives the guy pelters for wearing a black shirt, so I imagine that on our sister site, Shirtchat, there will be a discussion on his dislike of black shirts

Or maybe not....

Edited by jezzaboy

I absolutely hate this from Ornette Coleman. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTFr0ytA8[/media]

But i absolutely love this from the pioneer Dave Brubeck Played by George Benson. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bjcs9az-k[/media]

Jazz like pop, can be very different.

Edited by bubinga5

Whilst that's true bubinga5 I don't think it's unreasonable to say you don't like a Genre, I don't like Jazz, I don't like Rap. It's not the same as saying it is ALL s**t. There are a very limited number of jazz and rap songs I like and a few I can tolerate but as a whole I really really don't like jazz. And his image of the jazz club sadly sits exactly with my own experience of people heavily into jazz and their complete lack of understanding how anyone could be different. It's a wide genre and I am sure that not ALL jazz people are like that but the majority of the ones I have met are. Equally there are bands in genres I love that I don't like and whose attitudes properly stinks. But it would make a very long winded interview if he tried to get across all that sort of stuff.

Edited by T-Bay

Things NG has said ...

2. On interviews: "I have an opinion on everything, and if I don’t have an opinion, I’ll f***ing make one up on the spot."

Which is what makes his interviews entertaining, but the danger is people take him seriously

Personally I'd like him to host a chat show

I'm afraid that I don't particularly like Jazz either (my father spent my childhood trying to push it on me) but I don't think anyone can dismiss a whole genre. I have stuff by everyone from Miles Davis to Tom Scott and whilst I wouldn't say any of it is on heavy rotation, there's usually something for someone. Equally I don't like rap or hip hop but some of the early stuff like Grandmaster Flash is enjoyable enough.

I suspect it's just a bit of Noel banter. Move along people, nothing to see.

I like him, he really does humour me. I suppose in a way, some of his music does as well.(Although two or three tunes he was involved with I liked).
Which ever way you view him, he is always good for a laugh. Either with him, or at him.

I love my Jazz, playing and listening to it. Same as anything though, to my ears, there is good Jazz and there is bad Jazz.

Edited by lowdown

Well this has sparked an interesting debate as these things often do but so far nobody has mentioned that he doesn't actually say he doesn't like jazz at all - just that he dislikes jazz clubs. He could equally be making the statement that he dislikes said clubs because they make a mockery of his much beloved jazz music.

Probably not obviously but still....