Why become a member? ×

Squier is not Fender, Epiphone is not Gibson

SH73

It frustrates me when people advertise guitars for sale on internet for something they are not.
I see this all the time.For example, they put a title Fender stratocaster with low price next to it. When I click on the item it's a Squier affinity.
Don't get me wrong I own Squier and some are better than some Fenders.The same applies to Epiphone vs Gibson.

But it's the principle.

totally agree and I also think its a bit weird that fender now have a chinese range. It should be a squier as well!
But my epiphone sg has a big truss rod cover saying gibson on it and I also owned an 80s epi explorer that had both an epiphone and gibson logo. I'd never say to someone its gibson but made by epiphone.

Epiphone is definitely not Gibson but Fender do put the Fender logo onto Squier guitars. I guess they have determined that the uplift in sales to the Squier line, is more valuable than the potential devaluing of the Fender brand name.

Yeah I agree though, its annoying when you do eg eBay searches specifically for a Fender, to have lots of false positives with Squiers where the advertiser has been enthusiastic and slightly too keen, and included Fender in the title.

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1479296224' post='3175376']
Epiphone is definitely not Gibson but Fender do put the Fender logo onto Squier guitars. I guess they have determined that the uplift in sales to the Squier line, is more valuable than the potential devaluing of the Fender brand name.

Yeah I agree though, its annoying when you do eg eBay searches specifically for a Fender, to have lots of false positives with Squiers where the advertiser has been enthusiastic and slightly too keen, and included Fender in the title.
[/quote]

I agree. Do a search for Fender and watch the carefully phrased heading titles.

I have both Squier and Epiphone and both have Fender and Gibson logo retrospectively but it's not the same. Although my both Squier basses feels and sound better than some of the Fender models I tried.
My Epiphone is a Korean made and the quality appears to be spot on.
But still not the same by name....

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1479297060' post='3175386']
I sometimes have a look for Warwicks on ebay. Sometimes get a bass titled "not a Warwick" followed by an ad for some sort of Cheapo copy. Obviously the search engine just picks up the word. There's enough crap to wade through in ebay as it is.
[/quote]
I got told off by Ebay for doing that with a Mayones I was selling a few years ago, I'd advertised it as "like Warwick/Spector" in the title, in order to attract more people who'd not heard of Mayones. i had to watch a video pointing out this was in breach of their terms and conditions before I could list anything again, with the suggestion that if I did it again they could ban me from Ebay.

tricky, if you're selling you want as many views as possible, but I would say if you put Squier/ Epiphone in the title alongside Fender /Gibson it's ok, something like Squier Fender Jazz bass wouldn't annoy me, but being a lefty I don't have much to wade through anyway

Imo any bass that uses the typical fender jazz or p bass pattern is a Fender ;)... I'm kidding btw.

I do think while there is a very close relationship between the brands mentioned its wrong too advertise either Fender or Gibson in the sale of squire or epiphone. This is not because someone may get ripped off as anyone should know the difference. But because of ease of search if I want to buy a Fender jazz for example it bugs me having to trawl through ads of squire jazz basses.

Squier(Japan) is Fender though........the early Squier JVs were even badged as Fender (large logo) with Squier only on a small logo.

The Japanese Squiers really were Fenders (IMO) - I'm sure they randomly decided whether to stick Fender or Squier badges on them.

Once Squier production moved to Korea (?) and then to China or Indonesia then perhaps you have a point.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1479294101' post='3175358']
It frustrates me when people advertise guitars for sale on internet for something they are not.
I see this all the time.For example, they put a title Fender stratocaster with low price next to it. When I click on the item it's a Squier affinity.
Don't get me wrong I own Squier and some are better than some Fenders.The same applies to Epiphone vs Gibson.

But it's the principle.
[/quote]

100% agreed.

There's nothing wrong with a Squier and it's a very silly thing to do to advertise it as a Fender. Just like it'd be silly to advertise a Skoda as an Audi because both companies belong to the same group and even share some design and components...

Same with "MusicMan Sterling..." when it's not a MusicMan. Or a Sterling, often. But a "Sterling by MusicMan". Look, you're not trying to fool anybody, and nobody would be misled when they see the pictures... so why misrepresent it in the title? It doesn't "big it up" by pointing out its relationship with the more upmarket relative (and SBMM has NOTHING to do with EBMM, they're entirely separate operations), it just brings attention to the fact it's a lower end instrument (unnecessarily) and wastes the time of people who are actually looking for what you wrongly advertise.

rant over...

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1479298982' post='3175405']
tricky, if you're selling you want as many views as possible, but I would say if you put Squier/ Epiphone in the title alongside Fender /Gibson it's ok, something like Squier Fender Jazz bass wouldn't annoy me, but being a lefty I don't have much to wade through anyway
[/quote]

call it Squier Jazz... you'll get hits from anybody looking for any Jazz, or any Squier... but those looking for a Fender Jazz won't have to sift through dozens of silly worded titles...
Do you really think that if someone specifically searches for a Fender Jazz will somehow stop and buy your Squier Vintage Modified? :rolleyes: