Why become a member? ×

Squier is not Fender, Epiphone is not Gibson

SH73

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1479678727' post='3178441']
I once saw an advert for a Stagg Les Paul Custom selling for £300 with the ad stating they were £1,800 new!

Seriously hope no-one fell for that one.
[/quote]

You mean I was ripped off when I bought that? Blast!

Oh well, at least I can make some of the money back on that nice vintage Satellite bass that I picked up for the bargain price of £1000.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1479680982' post='3178472']

You mean I was ripped off when I bought that? Blast!

Oh well, at least I can make some of the money back on that nice vintage Satellite bass that I picked up for the bargain price of £1000.
[/quote]

There are literally ton of YouTube clips on how to spot a fake LP.

Fakes even come with nice cases with an authentic looking Gibson logo.

Blue

I think there is a subtle but significant difference between Squier and Epiphone. If you click on the Fender website you will see Squier products advertised under a Fender logo'd page, this doesn't happen with Gibson/Epiphone. I think describing a Squier as a "Fender Squier", or "Squier by Fender" is perfectly acceptable. On the other hand describing a non Fender/Squier as a Precision Bass, or a non Gibson/Epiphone as an Explorer Bass is incorrect

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1479825393' post='3179574']
I think there is a subtle but significant difference between Squier and Epiphone. If you click on the Fender website you will see Squier products advertised under a Fender logo'd page, this doesn't happen with Gibson/Epiphone. I think describing a Squier as a "Fender Squier", or "Squier by Fender" is perfectly acceptable. On the other hand describing a non Fender/Squier as a Precision Bass, or a non Gibson/Epiphone as an Explorer Bass is incorrect
[/quote]

if we're strict with the meaning, you are correct. However, as a way for people to label their ads so that others can search for what they're after, it completely buggers things up and it seems ridiculous.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1479829220' post='3179618']
Doesn't word exclusion help at all..? Searching for 'Fender -Squier' would bring up only ads with the word Fender, as long as there is no mention of Squier. Not perfect, but what is..?
[/quote]

It does to some extent. If you look for Squier -Fender you'll miss a lot of Squiers 'though.
Ebay's search engine is not too bad. Other sites are horrendous